U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 PM

16,980 posts, read 7,610,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1977 View Post
This is week 5 of the crisis. The last one in 2010 dragged on for 7 weeks. People have rent due Mon. Landlords will not be happy with Congress. Also, anyone who got their last UI payment in Jan couldn't apply for cash assistance until Feb, so the welfare offices will start getting deluged on Mon. Pressure will build over the weekend. The bad weather in the South is really hurting the people down there who got cut off their UI. I tried calling McConnell's office, but got a message saying I have to email, so I will do that.
2010 had the GOP wanting the Bush tax cuts renewed. Today, they have no big items on their wish list. That means seeing a resolution even remotely close to 2010 is a low probability.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,135,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
So is it clear to give up hope then? I mean... Reading the last couple pages made it seem like it's just done and over with and we won't see anything until at least late march. I'll be well on the streets by then, smh.
There's no telling what will happen. It could go through quickly (unlikely but possible), take a few weeks (most likely) or never happen (don't see this happening once states can't afford all the welfare and assistance applications but it could drag it out until the ultimate consequence, the economy tanking again, is seen).

I just think it will affect too many people (evictions, foreclosures, defaulting on credit, etc), kill the economic recovery and put too much burden on the states. The question is how long will it take to actually see enough of it to get them to act if they choose option #3.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,135,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Well, a few weeks ago, she seemed pretty confident that once the bill made it to the House, she would have it voted on. She must have some deal with Boehner or something.
Boehner is probably scared of her so he'll tell her anything to get her away before one of her eyeballs pops out and hits him in the head.

She's pretty freaky looking (she scares me a little, I'm not gonna lie and I tend to vote and support democrats!) and her mouth never stops yapping. I wouldn't believe anything she says. She's probably still bitter that Boehner took her job or maybe no one ever told her she's not Speaker of the House anymore, which is why she's making all these promises LOL!

Just trying to put in a little humor!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 PM

48 posts, read 35,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
2010 had the GOP wanting the Bush tax cuts renewed. Today, they have no big items on their wish list. That means seeing a resolution even remotely close to 2010 is a low probability.
Sorry I meant the last UI lapse crisis that happened for 7 weeks in June-July 2010, which was resolved when H.R. 4213 became law 07/22/10. The tax cuts thing came six months later.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 AM

18 posts, read 15,159 times
Unemployment Extension 2014 Looks like its on next weeks agenda

Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM

466 posts, read 353,315 times
States Have Lost $1.76 Billion After Long-Term Unemployment Benefits Lapsed | ThinkProgress

Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 AM

314 posts, read 265,371 times
Don't Look Now But Congress Is Actually ... Working! - Business Insider

there will be a vote next week..reid has another paid for bill..some republicans are happy. hopefully if it passes the senate, it will make those evil republicans in the house happy too. if it's this hard passing it in the senate..i can only imagine how difficult it will be passing it in the house which is over run by republicans who could care less of people on unemployment, etc ... as they are racist rich bastards who were raised with a silver spoon in their mouthes and have no idea that not everyone has the opportunities they did. i have a feeling reid will f this up though or republicans will want more despite saying all they want is for it to be paid for

Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM

339 posts, read 194,633 times
Cool. So if it goes through congress next week, the house of reps. Should take another 2 or 3 weeks rite?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 AM

596 posts, read 414,197 times
It is impossible to tell how long the house would take. If the house were receptive it could take as little as a week. But since John Boehner basically said unless it also includes Job Creation along with real payoffs he will not bring it to the floor. there will be a fight of course but its impossible to say. Then once it gets to the floor expect the Republicans to do what they can to stall it etc. The house is Republican controlled and Democrats would need 30+ Republicans to go along with them to get it to win. They are having trouble getting 5 in the Senate. trying to get 30+ in the house will be a challenge. But there are some moderate Republicans in the House. its will be hard but can be done with public pressure.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:17 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,001,250 times
Let's just hope it passes on Monday and goes straight to the House. I can't stand having no money. I want to apply for SNAP (I'm in NY) but I really hate the thought of the State being in my business as to how much my bills are, how am I supporting myself with no income, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment