Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyez0806 View Post
I believe they said it will not be extended.
At this point, imo, it is only conjecture until we start hearing Congressional Democrats saying no extension. Of course, their silence is deafening at the moment. Quite possible no extensions as this program has been in effect for five years, but it's way too early to know anything for certain. Last year Congress was fighting about it between Christmas and NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
I just read tier 4 is being dropped in some States like California in the new year. Nothing about all federal benefits not being extended for sure.
California triggered off Tier 4 effective week beginning August 11th - two months ago - because its three-month unemployment rate dropped below the federally-mandated 9% trigger - not because of any failure to extend legislation or any action on the part of the State of California. States are triggering off, and then again back on, to the tiers frequently as UE rates vary. See FAQS, post #6, for trigger rates.

BLS report here:

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...laims_arch.asp

Trigger Report published weekly:

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...uc_111013.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-14-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 AM

839 posts, read 1,208,849 times
Some good news. Obama is asking for an extension.

Obama Seeking 2014 Extension of Jobless Insurance - ABC News

The Obama administration wants Congress to extend emergency jobless benefits for long-term unemployed workers into 2014.

Obama economic adviser Gene Sperling says that without an extension more than 2 million long-term unemployed people stand to lose their benefits next year.

He says that with a 7.3 percent unemployment rate and with a labor market that has yet to get back to strength, many Americans can't find work.

He says the administration is willing to find ways to pay for the cost of extending such emergency unemployment insurance.

The benefits were last extended at the beginning of the year as part of a deal designed to avert a so-called fiscal cliff of tax increases and across-the-board spending cuts.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM

78 posts, read 278,992 times
At least Obama's thinking about us.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 10,221 times
Thanks so much. How long was EUC suppose to last??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
At this point, imo, it is only conjecture until we start hearing Congressional Democrats saying no extension. Of course, their silence is deafening at the moment. Quite possible no extensions as this program has been in effect for five years, but it's way too early to know anything for certain. Last year Congress was fighting about it between Christmas and NY.

California triggered off Tier 4 effective week beginning August 11th - two months ago - because its three-month unemployment rate dropped below the federally-mandated 9% trigger - not because of any failure to extend legislation or any action on the part of the State of California. States are triggering off, and then again back on, to the tiers frequently as UE rates vary. See FAQS, post #6, for trigger rates.

BLS report here:

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...laims_arch.asp

Trigger Report published weekly:

Emergency Unemployment Compensation Trigger Notice Report

Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 PM

461 posts, read 911,517 times
I'm hoping that it gets renewed for 2014...

Old 11-17-2013, 12:56 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyez0806 View Post
Thanks so much. How long was EUC suppose to last??
Already stated upthread, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
As far as everyone here knows there will be no federal extension after December 28th unless it is passed again. Did Hln news say that it won't be voted on and it is definitely not going to be extended or did you misunderstand?

Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
Perhaps there is hope?

Obama seeking 2014 extension of jobless insurance for long-term unemployed - The Washington Post

It's also an election year.

Also, interesting to note, it seems like ALL unemployed people have been classified by many as "lazy". I love how people who have jobs make stupid blanket statements like that.

It is NOT the unemployeds fault that ObamaCare has reduced the Full-Time work week. Have you seen the number of Part-Time jobs available compared to Full-Time jobs?

It is NOT the unemployeds fault that Big Business now has a way to UNDERPAY people with the lack of jobs and increased competition.

It is NOT the unemployeds fault that we have massive third-world illegal and legal immigration problems which drives pay and opportunity down for the American working-class. BTW, where are the Unions? They're busy trying to recruit illegal immigrants to help put more money in their pockets.

It is NOT the unemployeds fault that the REAL unemployment numbers are nowhere near the 7.3%. That's the biggest lie ever.

It is NOT the unemployeds fault that wages for the middle-class have been steadily falling while wages and expenses continue to increase.

The Unemployment system has been set up to make getting back to work more difficult and to create more Government dependency. When Unemployment pays more than many jobs, why would one give it up? It sounds good for other's to say stupid things like, "just get multiple PT jobs (with no benefits)." When you have a family and are in the SAME position, let's see what YOU would do. Work 40+ hours a week in a dead-end job with no benefits or spend the same time competing for a descent job? ..and God-forbid you try to start your own business on Unemployment, that seems to be a "no-no" for many States. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I have worked HARD consistently since I was a teenager. I have spent my own money getting a degree and have sacraficed a lot to the Corporate Gods with little to show for. Just because I am NOT willing to become a minimum wage worker with no benefits and zero chance of advancement does not mean I am lazy. I will use taxpayer money and time to find the best available job possible for me and my family. I AM the middle-class in a world where the middle-class is being eliminated.

I spend a FULL 40 hours a week looking for work that will provide me and my family a descent quality of life. You get back to me with your "arm chair" name-calling.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM

11 posts, read 25,728 times
There definitely ARE people who have abused the unemployment system. I personally know of two people who sat on extension after extension, never actually putting in the search for a job, until their benefits ran out entirely. One of these people actually then found a job, worked for 12 weeks, and tried to collect benefits again LOL! Didn't work!

But that happens. You have people who abuse any kind of system... however, you have others who have worked very hard and find themselves very unexpectedly without a job and NEED the money to get by until they can find other work that will support themselves/their families!

Old 11-18-2013, 02:29 PM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ314 View Post
There definitely ARE people who have abused the unemployment system. I personally know of two people who sat on extension after extension, never actually putting in the search for a job, until their benefits ran out entirely. One of these people actually then found a job, worked for 12 weeks, and tried to collect benefits again LOL! Didn't work!

But that happens. You have people who abuse any kind of system... however, you have others who have worked very hard and find themselves very unexpectedly without a job and NEED the money to get by until they can find other work that will support themselves/their families!
Very true. It just angers me when everyone is lumped into the same category.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 AM

329 posts, read 460,291 times
Real unemployment rate is 33%

100 millions without a job.

Wake up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment