Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,652 times

Advertisements

i am a gentleman in my mid 30 who recently was laid off after working for the same company for 10 years due to cut backs. I hold a bleachers degree. My wife who is also well educated lost her job 1 year ago due to restructure. We live in NJ. She was offered a job in NYC for 37,000. a year. She took the job and only worked there for 4 months before company went under. Currently we are both unemployed and trying to find something. We have two kids just lost a house. We live off unemployment because most of our saving are gone. If these benefits are not extended I don`t know what we will due. Did I also mention no health insurance.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2pl View Post
i am a gentleman in my mid 30 who recently was laid off after working for the same company for 10 years due to cut backs. I hold a bleachers degree. My wife who is also well educated lost her job 1 year ago due to restructure. We live in NJ. She was offered a job in NYC for 37,000. a year. She took the job and only worked there for 4 months before company went under. Currently we are both unemployed and trying to find something. We have two kids just lost a house. We live off unemployment because most of our saving are gone. If these benefits are not extended I don`t know what we will due. Did I also mention no health insurance.
You should qualify for cost-sharing subsidies through ObamaCare or free care via MediCaid. Also, have you done research on Welfare programs in case UE is not extended?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Please everyone...take a moment and call and/or write your Representative about the importance of extending UE benefits. You can find your Representative here:

Whoismyrepresentative.com - Find Your Member of Congress by Zip Code

Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 AM

154 posts, read 257,516 times
I found out some information today that might help some of you that are losing benefits and are going to school or planning to go to school. Like many of you I am facing having my unemployment cot off December 28th because I just ran out of my 26 weeks the state of Wisconsin pays last week. Last week I signed up for what the state considers an "approved training program" and was advised by someone from the jobs center that I might qualify for a seperate unemployment extension for people that are going to school. I finally got through to someone at the unemployment office (what a nightmare that is) today who told me that there is in fact an extension availible I might qualify for that is federally funded and is seperate from the emergency extensions. It sounded like this is some new program as he told me they can't take applications until January 6th. He said there is a good chance i will qualify because am signed up for an approved training program but he couldn't say for sure. Something some of you might want to check into. And if anyone has more info about this extension I would be interested in finding out more as the unemployment office didn't give me too many details.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
I found out some information today that might help some of you that are losing benefits and are going to school or planning to go to school. Like many of you I am facing having my unemployment cot off December 28th because I just ran out of my 26 weeks the state of Wisconsin pays last week. Last week I signed up for what the state considers an "approved training program" and was advised by someone from the jobs center that I might qualify for a seperate unemployment extension for people that are going to school. I finally got through to someone at the unemployment office (what a nightmare that is) today who told me that there is in fact an extension availible I might qualify for that is federally funded and is seperate from the emergency extensions. It sounded like this is some new program as he told me they can't take applications until January 6th. He said there is a good chance i will qualify because am signed up for an approved training program but he couldn't say for sure. Something some of you might want to check into. And if anyone has more info about this extension I would be interested in finding out more as the unemployment office didn't give me too many details.
WOW! Thanks! That was my other question as I want to go back to school to be re-trained in the medical field. You read my mind.

Now to get through to California EDD Thank goodness there is post on this forum for that!

Last edited by UEHelp; 12-17-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 03:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Top Democrat proposes trading Farm Bill for unemployment benefits | MSNBC

The problem I see with this:

The concept of giving subsidies to farms is getting a lot of heat. It's playing favorites and in my opinion, wrong. We are supposed to be a capitalist society where you either sink or swim based on your determination, not which government entity decides to support you. They use the idea that if we don't give the major farms money, milk will be 8 dollars a gallon. Except you don't need milk to survive or even thrive. Plus you can make your own nut milks from home so for most people they could easily switch and save tons of money. Or just buy local which would likely be cheaper.

With the Federal Government looking to cut where it can to reign in a runaway spending problem, I doubt they would want to save 24 Billion to then turn around and spend 25 billion with no chance of the number of long term unemployed going down. The Democrats would really have to think of ways to address the fact employers just aren't hiring us long term unemployed. They would most likely have to offer money to companies or tax breaks of some sort which would equal MORE money to fix this issue.

Republicans no matter what will look bad on this. I get why they don't want to extend it. There is no proof that things will be solved if we extend to 99 weeks. Both sides have to work together to figure out what can be done to get people working again after long lapses. Before all this, you could lose your job, and then find your way back into the job market. Stay at home parents were able to take long breaks and still find a job. Now you must cling to your job in fear that you won't be able to survive without it. That plays right into the hands of employers. They can demand far more for far less because, hey, where are you going to go?

I think they will extend unemployment still, but I doubt after this year, barring horrible horrible unemployment, they will support it further. It's just too costly for such a small part of the overall population. But of course we know the amount of unemployed that stopped trying, homeless, and underemployed are FAR higher then they will report.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 AM

839 posts, read 1,209,260 times
Republicans are signaling they are open to an extension of the unemployment benefits. Article in link. They must be feeling the heat when they got back home to there districts.

Bipartisan Miracle? Senate Republicans Open to Unemployment Extension

Bipartisan Miracle? Senate Republicans Open to Unemployment Extension - NationalJournal.com

Old 12-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Republicans are signaling they are open to an extension of the unemployment benefits. Article in link. They must be feeling the heat when they got back home to there districts.

Bipartisan Miracle? Senate Republicans Open to Unemployment Extension

Bipartisan Miracle? Senate Republicans Open to Unemployment Extension - NationalJournal.com
I think you forget that Democrats didn't propose it either. Neither side really did much to discuss it. Now that they are getting flak, they are going to push for it. The biggest hurdle is trying to figure out how to solve the unemployment situation. Extending the benefits is nice. But a job is nicer. I can post for jobs until I am blue in the face but if they take one look at my resume and see the gap, it's the garbage can for me. Republicans will want something to ensure it's not extended again. It costs 25 billion to maintain so it's not cheap.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:57 PM

839 posts, read 1,209,260 times
I agree , I think extending it important but more important to figure out how to get the unemployed back to work especially the long term unemployed. Been unemployed 2 months and I know I better get a job in the next 4 months or its going to get real hard.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
I agree , I think extending it important but more important to figure out how to get the unemployed back to work especially the long term unemployed. Been unemployed 2 months and I know I better get a job in the next 4 months or its going to get real hard.
I feel you. I would highly suggest you grind hard before you hit that 6 month mark. I'm over a year removed from a job. I can't even get a phone interview. I was a personal banker before I was let go and I have applied to Teller positions and STILL nothing. A bank that wanted me a long time ago will call to check on my situation but once I say I'm still unemployed they give you the "yeah, we will let you know if anything matches". Basically, if you get a job let us know, otherwise, we don't want you.

You solve that problem, I bet there will be FAR less people on unemployment long term. The jobs are there, but I just can't get them because of the length I have been unemployed for. Makes you want to scream sometimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment