Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM

31 posts, read 30,294 times

Advertisements

If I lose the claim will I be dq'd permanently or for a few weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
All depends whether it's treated as a quit, a discharge, or a refusal of suitable work. Discharge and refusal of suitable work are 8 and 4 weeks respectively. A quit is a claim killer. You canNOT tell that story of your housing and moving in with your brother. Just focus on the dwindling hours and the end of the season, and hope it gets treated as a lay off.

That thing where you called the UI people. Don't do that again. You ask before you do anything on your own. If that UI worker typed about your pay stubs and dwindling hours, and the UI people mention that to your boss when they're interviewing him, he might then be ready to dig for proof of his own about what really happened.

Just follow the process and stop jumping the gun.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:20 AM

Okay thanks. This has me stressed out as it has so many others.

I'm afraid of the worst case scenario which may be I owe them for the weeks I collected and they b take it out of my taxes.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:37 PM

Should I push my nonmonetary interview for a further date until after my taxes come back? I've filed and have been accepted already.

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:40 PM

No. It will take months before NJ would try to collect an overpayment via a tax refund intercept. Besides that you'd have to have a good reason to ask for a postponement, and that would just raise further issues like "what were you doing that was so important?" It would raise an able and available issue, and you don't want any more trouble.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:06 PM

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:13 PM

251 posts, read 203,956 times
NJ seems crazy. I got terminated in NY it was fairly simple process I actually got unemployment based on my prior job and not the one I was terminated from. In NY there's virtually no back and forth because the employer that terminates the employee isn't necessarily the one that pays the benefits. The work credit you get it depends on your past 3-4 quarters average of work performance no matter who the employer was. All you have to do is say terminated without cause (99% of the time it's without cause) and benefits begin after 2 weeks. I believe I filled out a questionnaire and submitted it electronically.

I did not sign any paperwork on the severance forms that would waive my right to sue them in the future. A lot more people had problems with the department I got terminated in so although I could have used the extra paycheck at the time not at the cost of giving up potentially $10k or more in the future from a lawsuit. They have done a lot of people dirty and at some point someone is going to get at them legally and I would gladly be apart of that since I'm not on that side of the industry anymore.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 AM

my non monetary interview is today at 2:20ish.

I've been told I voluntarily quit my job. So my question is, should I bring up my hour deduction? And also, that many boss said, "he'd like to see me back in the spring"?

Should I say this, " terminated without cause?". Since my boss says I voluntarily quit?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM

Read the other thread, and just keep your answers here if you feel the need to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooditapplah View Post
Should I say this, " terminated without cause?".
No. I think you put that you were "laid off" on your application for UI because the season was ending. Be consistent with your story.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:18 AM

Yeah I'll leave my posts here after the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment