Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,844 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys! I had been in this dilemma for a month now. I worked for a service company through an Agency for 11 months. I like the job, co-workers were nice (some attitudes here & there but tolerable). But the hardship started last Sept 2013 when one of the co-worker suddenly went on sick leave that lasted more than a week. That being said, all her task pending & affected the Company's $$$ revenue, Big Time!

On the 8th day (2nd week), she called in sick again. The Manager finally decided to do something about it by asking me to do the co-workers job while she's on leave, I actually don't mind accepting occasional projects from the boss. But that week was the start of the month-end. Basically, I had to accept what I was tasked to do to "impress" the boss. Although, in my mind it is already a burden on my part. I have no idea how this lady does her work, so I had to setup a phone patch with her while she's at home "resting". I had to take note of everything she instructed & was forced to learn fast & implement what I learned and finished part of her work which btw covered my whole shift, making my usual tasks "pending". Few minutes before my shift ended, I was so stressed out. I felt it was overworked and underpaid, It is so unfair for me and I can't do it anymore. I talked to the Manager and quit my job, right then & there.

Now, I am back to unemployed. Somehow, I regret quitting the job because I don't have money to pay bills anymore. But on the other hand, I think I just did the right thing. I filed for UI claim from EDD but losing hope because most of the comments I read here that one of the grounds for not getting the unemployment benefit is when you quit your job. Hence, I got the phone call today from EDD asking about details why I quit the job - Now, I am getting paranoid if my Unemployment is approved or denied. After thorough searching, I think I might have a chance of getting approved. Here is what I found out:

Voluntary Quit VQ 440
Duties Outside Scope of Employment

Title 22, Section 1256-23(c) provides the employer's requirements are unreasonable under any of the following circumstances:

The claimant is required to perform duties beyond his or her physical ability or skills.[*]The duties required impose an undue risk of injury or illness upon the claimant.[*]The required duties would be demeaning to the claimant in view of the occupation and status of the claimant.[*]The employer's requirements are intended to abuse or harass the claimant.[*]The primary duties assigned to the claimant entitle the claimant to a higher wage but the employer pays a lower wage level.[*]The primary duties assigned to the claimant are for work on a substantially lower skill and status level than the claimant's usual work.[*]The claimant reasonably objects to the employer's requirements on moral grounds.[*]The employer's requirements will substantially increase the claimant's workload.[*]The primary duties assigned to the claimant could cause a loss of proficiency in the skills of the claimant's usual occupation.[/LIST]
So for those of you who quit your job and are filing for Unemployment, and paranoid if you will be approved or denied. Just read this. It is really helpful for all of us. I will keep you posted in a few weeks if my unemployment is Approved. (crossing fingers!)

Last edited by Sweetsilver; 10-22-2013 at 05:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
This is what it doesn't say but you need to do it: You are required to adjust your grievance and give the employer an opportunity to fix things before you quit.

While the change in duties is good cause, if you didn't give the employer a chance to change things before you quit, you'll get the dreaded, "you negated your good cause by failing to give the employer an opportunity to fix things."

Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
I will admit, you "Might"have something there. Thus said, when you were faced with this, your first thought should have been "I'm going to talk to the boss, I can't keep this up" and then talked with them. To go in and say "I'm too stressed for this and I quit"...You just committed yourself to appealing a decision that will not favor you, and most likely will NEVER favor you.

I admit, I did the same, but mine was for a different reason and 9 weeks of fighting is no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment