U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 19,912 times
Default NJ Non-monetary interview???

Filed for unemployment on Thursday night, after being fired for "lack of performance"... which was bs, but regardless what happened, happened. I have not received a letter in the mail, but checking online, I got the below information. Does anybody know what this "non-monetary" interview means? Did my employer try to block unemployment and I'm stuck waiting 6 weeks or so now? Or.. ?

An issue has been identified on your claim. Please attend the non-monetary appointment listed below so a claims agent may resolve this issue.

Weekly Benefit Rate: $624.00
Partial Weekly Benefit Rate: $748.00
Remaining UI Benefits Balance: $16,224.00
Maximum Benefit Amount: $16,224.00

December 2, 2013 9:20 AM Non Monetary Telephone
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM

3,690 posts, read 4,130,386 times
Any time you are fired/discharged from a job, the state has to investigate the reason behind it. You'll be waiting on benefits until this is complete. If it's determined that you are eligible, you'll be retro paid all benefits as though you were granted benefits from the date you first applied.

"lack of performance" is not normally disqualifying, so don't waste your breath trying to prove that you weren't a poor performer. Just deny having done it, and move on.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Wouldn't they just reach out to the employer for that though? Why would I have to wait almost 6 weeks for a phone interview with no pay? Or am I misunderstanding? It's been a long time since I had to collect unemployment lol..

Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM

13,735 posts, read 17,555,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay6382 View Post
Wouldn't they just reach out to the employer for that though? Why would I have to wait almost 6 weeks for a phone interview with no pay? Or am I misunderstanding? It's been a long time since I had to collect unemployment lol..
This is SOP for NJ, these days - make people wait up to seven weeks for a decision/money. Unless you make an extraordinary effort to get the date of this interview changed - like contacting your legislator - you are stuck with this wait. Read other threads on the first page of this board. You are the third person in a week complaining about this - not to mention numerous others over the past two months.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is SOP for NJ, these days - make people wait up to seven weeks for a decision/money. Unless you make an extraordinary effort to get the date of this interview changed - like contacting your legislator - you are stuck with this wait. Read other threads on the first page of this board. You are the third person in a week complaining about this - not to mention numerous others over the past two months.
That's ridiculous, I'll go and read those threads, thanks..

So it's not my previous employer's fault then.. it's the state... if someone files for unemployment, most people don't have 2 months to go with nothing... makes no sense..

Old 10-22-2013, 12:52 PM

It's a money saving strategy by the state. Some people will race to get new jobs, others will give up, some will go back to school or start a business and self-disqualify, or they'll have an interview and admit to doing things that a person on unemployment shouldn't be doing while waiting to get a UI check, blah, blah, blah.

It could be an employer's fault, but not so much in your case. If you said discharged, that was enough to trigger the interview. If the employer had said to your face that you were laid off, and you said that to the UI people, then the only way an interview would get scheduled is if the employer said "fired." That would be a case where the employer is causing the problem.

If you want the money, you have to endure the wait or put some effort at lighting a fire under the UI people to process things claims like they are supposed to.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM

314 posts, read 237,231 times
Not only is it a money saving tactic like chyvan said, but it's also a way to try to reduce the unemployment rate to make politicians look like they are doing a better job concerning job growth. It is sickening. Contact a legislator to speed things up like Ariadne said. It resolved my situation within a week. Provide as much proof as possible against misconduct. My boss faxed them a letter stating there was no misconduct and he has no problem with me receiving unemployment. That will help a legislator resolve your issue with lwd the quickest. Calling an agent at unemployment is a waste of time. They will basically just have you wait for your non monetary interview.Good luck

Last edited by msix3623; 10-22-2013 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 AM

5 posts, read 10,537 times
I am going through the same thing myself. I was laid off this past July from my last consulting role after about 6 months. I have been collecting UI since then with no issues until a couple of weeks ago. I also got a letter saying something about misconduct and that my non-monetary interview is on 11/26. My contract was until 07/06/13 I was pulled into the office about a week before July 6th where the manager told me because things are slow they will not be extending my contract and that 07/06/13 would be my last day. It was no surprise to me as things were pretty slow and they have a budget to answer to. The fact of the matter is that it was a lay-off due to lack of work. I never had any misconduct issues and I fulfilled my contract. I am pretty sure that it is the temp agency that is now contesting my claim. I have been looking for work but I also took the time to obtain my comptia A+ because I wanted to also start looking into IT work and have more options than just finance. I just started to study for my network + as well. Having the UI gave me the opportunity to pursue something that would give me more than one option. Bottom line is that I was laid-off due to lack of work. I certainly was not terminated. I even have the email from the temp agency confirming that my last day was 07/06/13 and pay stubs that list my contract end date. (07/06/13). Trust me if I was let go because of misconduct I would have never been allowed to continue working for another week to fulfill my contract date. And just in case anyone is wondering I never had any misconduct issues write ups warnings etc about my behavior, performance or otherwise. As a matter of fact my original contract was extended to the 07/06/13 date. I just wonder what non-sense the temp agency told NJUI. By the way is it okay to contact the temp agency to try to get an answer from them? In essence to ask them if they are the ones contesting it and why? I feel your pain JAY6382!!! Hopefully things will work out in our favor.

Last edited by clsc321; 10-23-2013 at 04:20 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,191 times
Worked a full pay week, company called me into office on saturday with no explanation of why I was being let go. Owner was just holding my things and said, "file for unemployment, they wouldn't block it. " I was not sure of how to file laid off vs fired/discharged, reached out to the employer to no avail, ignored. I have received the same kind of notice from NJ stating, a lengthy wait of 7 weeks for non-monetary interview. My question is this, if the employer didn't block it, ( I know from a co worker there the employers notice was returned), why the lengthy wait still? Any suggestions.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM

The lengthy wait is because you only worked there a week. You're going to have a problem collecting. Everything for you will hinge on why you left the job before this one that only lasted a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment