U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM

4,807 posts, read 6,321,988 times

Advertisements

I'm in NY and I've been on unemployment since losing my job early this year. I have been unable to find a job despite looking everyday, sending out resumes, making calls, networking, etc. It seems the only jobs that are out there pay very little where you wouldn't even be able to get by. I'm talking pay scales of $8- $12 per hour with no overtime available. Also, many companies are now only offering part time jobs so they don't have to provide benefits.

I went through the first 26 weeks of unemployment benefits and I am now on extended unemployment (which is 10% lower than what you get the first 26 weeks). What happens after this if I don't find a new job? Can it be extended again? Do they continue lowering the amount you receive?

I am so frustrated at this point. I want to start working again and I just can't believe that companies have lowered wages and expect people to do the work of 2 or 3 people. The company I was fired from fired most of the people who were making decent money and replaced us with people making about a third of what we were making with no benefits, no bonuses, etc.

Does anyone know how unemployment works? Can you continue getting extensions?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 PM

19,547 posts, read 37,254,648 times
You continue to collect federal benefits from the State of NY until December 28, 2013, or until exhausted, whichever occurs first - unless Congress extends legislation into 2014.

Sequester cuts in NY are discussed here:

Extended Benefits - New York State Department of Labor

Your weekly benefit amount should not differ from what you've been collecting since the beginning of October.

FYI - if you had a full claim in NY, you were entitled to:

26 wks - state benefits
14 wks - EUC Tier 1
14 wks - EUC Tier 2
09 wks - EUC Tier 3

Any extension of EUC into 2014 depends on Congress. If you haven't worked since you've been laid off, any Congressional extension of federal benefits will not add more weeks to the above entitlement.

You need to work and have new earnings during your benefit year in order to have new claim eligibility at your bye in 2014

You might try to get some seasonal work towards the end of the year. Those new earnings could trigger new claim eligibility for you next year at a fairly decent benefit if the job from which you were laid off was a long-term and well paying, as LAG earnings in that earlier claim could be used to establish a new claim. But, you need new earnings to trigger the use of those LAG earnings.

FYI - NY's partial benefit rate is not very good. If you do get a part-time job, no matter how few hours a day you work, you lose 25% of your UE benefit for each day worked. So, don't be in a rush to do this if your other job was not a good one, and do structure your part-time work to occur one or two days a week so as not to lose all your benefit. Your only reason for doing this would be trigger new claim eligibility next year at your bye - and only if LAG earnings from your other job were decent.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-27-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 34,903 times
I've been searching this forum for help, and this question came close, but I'm hoping for a bit more clarification. I hope that piggy backing on this question doesn't violate forum etiquette, if it does please someone tell me and I will gladly start a fresh post. I am desperate for answers.

I'm in New York state.

My start/effective date: 11/12/2012
Benefit year ending date: 11/17/2013

The way I understand it, I'm still eligible for 11 more weeks (26 weeks regular, 14 weeks Tier 1, 14 weeks Tier 2, 9 weeks Tier 3). However, when I filed today it said something about my benefit year ending and having to call tomorrow to file a new claim.

So am I still eligible to keep claiming? Do I need to file a "new claim"? Am I wrong about how many weeks I have left in Tier 3? Also, I had a baby in June, and did not claim unemployment for 3 weeks while recovering from childbirth. Is this automatically added back on?

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by direabit View Post
I'm in New York state.

My start/effective date: 11/12/2012
Benefit year ending date: 11/17/2013

The way I understand it, I'm still eligible for 11 more weeks (26 weeks regular, 14 weeks Tier 1, 14 weeks Tier 2, 9 weeks Tier 3). However, when I filed today it said something about my benefit year ending and having to call tomorrow to file a new claim.

So am I still eligible to keep claiming? Do I need to file a "new claim"? Am I wrong about how many weeks I have left in Tier 3? Also, I had a baby in June, and did not claim unemployment for 3 weeks while recovering from childbirth. Is this automatically added back on?
Per FAQS:
Quote:
8. I've been collecting for a year and am on Tier 2. My claim expires next week. What happens now?

Some states automatically perform the recertification process as long as you continue to file weekly or biweekly claims. In most states, you will need to telephone your state to RECERTIFY your claim. Your state will do a monetary reevaluation for a new claim. If you have not had eligible earnings during your past benefit year, your "application for a new claim" will be denied, your old claim reopened and you continue to receive benefits on that claim.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
You can continue to claim AFTER you have called NY. Yes, after the recertification, NY will continue to pay whatever remains of EUC until 12/28/2013, or until exhausted, whichever comes first. Under current legislation, all federal benefit payments end 12/28/2013, regardless of remaining balance.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 9,373 times
In need of clarification. I started collecting unemployment beginning of December, my 26 weeks ends the end of this month am I eligible to continue to collect? if so, what do i do.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukant View Post
In need of clarification. I started collecting unemployment beginning of December, my 26 weeks ends the end of this month am I eligible to continue to collect? if so, what do i do.
No. You've exhausted your state benefits. There are no federal benefits. Contact the Social Services people from your state for food stamps and any other assistance for which you might qualify.

If you can find work before now and your benefit year-end in December, you may qualify for a new claim at that time.

For now, there is nothing more.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 14,634 times
I tried to file a claim today online and was prompted that "I have been paid all the benefits due to me on this claim". I have been collecting UE for 26 weeks now. My effective date was 9/1/14 and my BYE is 9/6/15.

Would anybody be able to explain to me if whether or not NY does extensions, and if so, how may I go about filing for one?

Old 03-15-2015, 01:31 PM

5,005 posts, read 7,235,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphabetName View Post
I tried to file a claim today online and was prompted that "I have been paid all the benefits due to me on this claim". I have been collecting UE for 26 weeks now. My effective date was 9/1/14 and my BYE is 9/6/15.

Would anybody be able to explain to me if whether or not NY does extensions, and if so, how may I go about filing for one?
There are no longer extended unemployment programs in any State. You only get 26 weeks in New York.

http://labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/...dbenefits.shtm

Old 03-15-2015, 01:32 PM

There are no extensions in any state. Congress ended federal extension benefits in December 2013. There are no further discussions in Congress for extensions. The program is finished.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 14,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
There are no longer extended unemployment programs in any State. You only get 26 weeks in New York.

[url=http://labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/extendedbenefits.shtm]Extended Benefits - New York State Department of Labor[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
There are no extensions in any state. Congress ended federal extension benefits in December 2013. There are no further discussions in Congress for extensions. The program is finished.
Was hoping not to hear this, but thank you for the confirmed clarification!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment