Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

You think they are really going to CUT OFF EXTENSIONS at the end of 2013? (guy from NY)

before, in NY it seemed to be regular Unemployment benefits + extension = 79 weeks

But if they cut off extensions at the end of the year I would not get about 25 weeks more I estimated into 2014.

Do you think they'll really cut it off at the end of December 2013? Or might it get renewed?
Maybe if they are planning it they wouldn't tell us until they last minute, that way you can panic people into trying harder to get a job?
I planning on job searching even harder this month and December becuase I'm worried
thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I don't think this country is adding enough jobs every month to warrant cutting extended benefits. However, we know our legislators don't like spending that FED money. Prior year's decisions, I've followed 3 or 4 of them, have all gone to the last minute or beyond and usually approval has come well into if not after the Christmas shopping season. People who are collecting UE don't have a lot of money to spend on Christmas and knowing they would continue to get benefits into the new year might allow them to spend a few dollars on small gifts. But when you don't know, you don't spend. I think that's sad!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM

11 posts, read 26,099 times
Published: October 31, 2013 - NYTimes

As Cuts to Food Stamps Take Effect, More Trims to Benefits Are Expected

"Similarly, unemployment benefits to jobless workers for longer than the normal maximum of 26 weeks have been extended repeatedly, although the maximum duration of benefits has fallen from a peak of 99 weeks to 73 weeks. The Emergency Unemployment Compensation program, financed by the federal government for states that meet certain unemployment and state benefit thresholds, is scheduled to end Jan. 1.

The recent fiscal showdown in Washington make further extensions less likely. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/us...cted.html?_r=0

Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 AM

314 posts, read 697,759 times
it will be used as a bargaining chip like always so a party can get what they want. in a sane world it will be extended because of how bad unemployment is. they will wait until the last minute or even have the unemployed wait until later..who knows. it is always something nowadays. the fact that it is after christmas worries me as it is scheduled to end after christmas where people can spend money for gifts, etc...thus helping the economy . i believe it ends on december 28th. could it have been deliberately been scheduled after christmas so people spend on christmas? i don't trust politicians in washington. they always promise things until they get elected.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
They had been letting people have 79 weeks (total ,state unemplyment + fed extension)
I would have been nice if they at let people who already have the extension go to the end of it and then say after that no more extension.
I had run into somebody I know who said he had been getting benefits for two years. But it seems I will probably will stop getting benefits after on year and three and a half months.
The other side of the argument is that people have been getting benefits for longer periods than ever before and tax payers are paying billions for it. I'll probably have to do some graveyard shift job.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,220 times
Angry Yeah, think we are screwed

I have been on unemployment, first time, am 62, my 28 year long job folded in February due to their poor management, and it sounds like at the end of 2013 we are SOL, even tho it says on my weekly report there is still cash in my account. The best I could understand is I was on some Tier 3 and somebody somewhere has to decide if it will continue but gee, why not let you wait until the last minute. I have applied for several positions, you never hear back from anything on the internet, they all just seem to want to sell you something. I am presuming I will be forced to apply for SS and then still try to find some kind of job, but it would be nice if unemployment would not just keep you hanging. I am in a panic as of course no company is going to hire a 62 year old. I was a legal secretary, but the office did not have up to date computer programs, which I have had to pay for to take classes but I am no match for a much younger person who has training. This is in Jersey, so I will probably be moving, way too expensive to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment