Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 03:39 PM

163 posts, read 502,401 times

Advertisements

Bear with me as it’s confusing but I hope someone will read this, can help put my mind at ease as I am freaking out right now.

I was laid off in May, 2012 from a job. I collected for a year and opened a new claim in May of 2013 which expires in May of 2014. I stopped filing in August when I got an independent contractor job (1099). I was hoping that the IC job would turn into something permanent. It didn’t. They pulled the plug on my contract 2 weeks ago.

I was told by many that my claim should still be open and I could resume it. But to reopen it, I’d have to file a whole new claim and was told that EDD in processing this new claim, would find the old claim and renew it.

So 2 weeks ago I filed this “new” claim. When it asks my most recent employer, I put the company who laid me off in May of 2012 since the most recent employer was a 1099, technically “self employed”. Of course this new filing date covers the six quarters preceding that which means I made 0 dollars with that employer.

I got something from EDD today that basically confirms my last employer and that I have $0 paying out from the 6 quarters preceding the file date.

It appears they just didn’t reopen my old claim although if I log into web-cert, it is still showing payouts from August and appears to still be open (although I cannot file online and my most recent claim is the end of august with instructions to use the paper form).

Not sure what to do. Shouldn’t EDD have reopened my old claim? Did I screw up?

Help! I’m really in a bind if I cannot resume UI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 04:29 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
I was laid off in May, 2012 from a job. I collected for a year and opened a new claim in May of 2013 which expires in May of 2014. I stopped filing in August when I got an independent contractor job (1099). I was hoping that the IC job would turn into something permanent. It didn’t. They pulled the plug on my contract 2 weeks ago.

I was told by many that my claim should still be open and I could resume it. But to reopen it, I’d have to file a whole new claim and was told that EDD in processing this new claim, would find the old claim and renew it.

It appears they just didn’t reopen my old claim although if I log into web-cert, it is still showing payouts from August and appears to still be open (although I cannot file online and my most recent claim is the end of august with instructions to use the paper form).
Since you were NOT collecting EUC on the 2012 claim (which would necessitate CA determining new state claim eligibility before resuming federal EUC payments) and you DID have a new claim beginning May 2013, all you needed to do was call EDD to reopen the existing state claim.

No serious damage done. But, now, you still have to call them. Use suggestions on last few pages to get through, here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...l#post32613171

There is a remote chance CA may pick up on your earlier claim, and send you correspondence on that next week.

They will still have to talk to you, so call them. You can't reopen an existing claim without talking to a rep because CA will want to know why you had a break in claim, and the circumstances of your last employment and separation.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:53 PM

163 posts, read 502,401 times
Thanks for your response.

A networking group I go to is in the same building as EDD so I stopped by there BEFORE I did anything to speak to someone for direction. The rep at EDD told me I had to refile online which is the only reason I did it. I wonder why she didn't tell me to call EDD to have them reopen it or just do it herself.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Too lazy to do the right thing, frankly. If you run into another one who won't help you, ask if they can reopen without investigating the circumstances of the break in claim?

They can't.

Any CA claimant posting here who has stopped claiming, has always had to call to reopen - which is a good idea, anyway, because the claim is immediately reopened if you can satisfactorily answer the rep's questions, and you don't have to go through the computer rigamarole, only to find you have to talk to a rep, anyway. CA may want to schedule a separate interview before reopening, as well.

Some states have the online reopen option, at the end of which they tell the claimant to complete the process they need to call a rep.

Can't be done without talking to someone. Shame she made you spin your wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment