Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:34 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times

Advertisements

(NYC)

1)

I got the email message from NY State Dept of labor I was expecting about the Dec 29 end of extension benefits.
I will show it in a moment but first, here's the message that they told me to look at after leaving my email and signing on to their website:

Unless the U.S. Congress extends Unemployment Insurance Benefits, all Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) will end on December 29, 2013. The last week you can claim Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) is the week ending Sunday, December 29, 2013.

Until these benefits end, please continue to claim weekly benefits as you usually do. Visit our Unemployment Assistance page at Unemployment Insurance - New York State Department of Labor for details on EUC, including an explanation of deadlines access to view and print your benefit payment history.

- Details on EUC, including an explanation of deadlines
- Access to view and print your benefit payment history.

The New York State Department of Labor can help you find a job. We urge you to visit your local New York State Career Center right away. To find the Career Center closest to you, visit New York State Career Centers - New York State Department of Labor or call 1-888-4-NYSDOL toll free. Our Career Center staff can review your needs and help you:

- Prepare or revise a resume
- Plan your career
- Explore the job market
- Revise your job search strategy
- Apply for jobs
- Upgrade your skills

We also urge you to take advantage of our Skills Matching and Referral Technology (SMART). This free resume-matching service will automatically look for and e-mail new job leads to you. To get started, e-mail us at DEWS.ReEmploy@labor.ny.gov. Include your full name, address and phone, and attach your resume. To find out more about SMART and other services we offer, please visit our Career Services page at:
Find a Job - New York State Department of Labor

Please also check our Jobs Express website at Job Openings in New York State - New York State Department of Labor. Recently, more than 75,000 job openings were listed in every field, at every pay scale. The number of jobs listed on Jobs Express has been steadily increasing in recent months, as has hiring.

You may also qualify for temporary aid. The myBenefits.ny.gov website is a fast and easy way to find out about many helpful programs and how to apply for them. These include the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/Food Stamps), Medicaid, Family Health Plus, Child Health Plus, Temporary Assistance, and free or reduced-price school lunches. If you are currently participating in any of these programs, tell your local Department of Social Services when your unemployment benefits run out.

We recognize that being unemployed is very stressful for you and your family. We hope you will let us help you with your job search.

>>>> The part I don't understand is the email message in my regular email before reading this main message
here:

Attention! You have an urgent message from
the NY State Department of Labor that you must reply to
within TWO business days from Sat Dec 21 05:00:00 EST 2013
. Please
sign in using your NY.GOV ID to access the message.

what kind of reply are they looking for ???

Why this "TWO business days" warning ???
Why do you have to reply about having your benefits cut?

Do they mean reply to the email in my email or in the message box of my account at the Unemployment website where the main message is ?
I sent a reply asking these things to the message in my email. I couldn't get a reply to send at their website. I don't understand what this reply in TWO days thing is about or necessary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 PM

132 posts, read 220,644 times
You have to keep certifying your benefits. So if they extend your benefits, you will get your back pay and current benefits

Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell1972 View Post
You have to keep certifying your benefits. So if they extend your benefits, you will get your back pay and current benefits
It does not say that. What it says is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
The last week you can claim Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) is the week ending Sunday, December 29, 2013.

Until these benefits end, please continue to claim weekly benefits as you usually do.

which means to keep claiming for another two weeks. Some states will allow claiming even after the lapse. Other states won't. OP can try to claim. NY may not keep that option open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
>>> The part I don't understand is the email message in my regular email before reading this main message
here:

Attention! You have an urgent message from
the NY State Department of Labor that you must reply to
within TWO business days from Sat Dec 21 05:00:00 EST 2013
. Please
sign in using your NY.GOV ID to access the message.

what kind of reply are they looking for ???

Why this "TWO business days" warning ???
Why do you have to reply about having your benefits cut?

Do they mean reply to the email in my email or in the message box of my account at the Unemployment website where the main message is ?
There is nothing to reply to. Standard warning to get your attention. Don't worry about it.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:38 PM

they said and urgent message

"you must reply to
within TWO business days from Sat Dec 21 05:00:00 EST 2013"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

There is nothing to reply to. Standard warning to get your attention. Don't worry about it.
I hope you're right. I suppose they have to BS with "must reply" and "within TWO business days" -when they don't even need a reply because it's a trick to get you to log onto the website so it's recorded proof that you got fair warning,
they can then say I signed in with official password, I opened the webiste inbox, that means I read it

-if they just delivered the benefit cut message in the direct email to my gmail then I could say "hey I never got that" (even if I did)

I'm guessing this is what's going on,

Old 12-23-2013, 12:23 PM

This is an official New York State Department of Labor message:

"The e-mail message you received was intended to be an informational message and there is no need to reply. We are trying to correct this problem. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused"

Ariadne22 is definately right

Old 12-23-2013, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,385 times
Does anyone know if we can claim the week of the 29th & get paid on the 1st?? After that last week it's over until congress extends, am I right?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:52 PM

17 posts, read 36,486 times
Anyone on EUC can claim on Sunday the 29th & will be paid on the next (Regular deposit / Issue Day) since the program is now set to "END" on the January 1st 2014 you will still receive the benefits for that week.

Also I believe congress is in talks to extend benefits for 2014 BUT those will not be confirmed until march 2014. I was told to keep filing until then & a retroactive pay will be issued If/When the budget is passed in March 2014.

Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Extended to January 1, 2014, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Old 12-23-2013, 06:37 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3tech95 View Post
Also I believe congress is in talks to extend benefits for 2014 BUT those will not be confirmed until march 2014. I was told to keep filing until then & a retroactive pay will be issued If/When the budget is passed in March 2014.
Yea or nay in January is much more likely:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/32716492-post97.html

Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,385 times
Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,516 times
just to be clear i can certify tomarrow sunday dec. 29 for the last time? i am sooo scarred its only 300 dollors but its all i have
im praying for everyone in my situation. all i really wish is to find a job and get back out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment