U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM

13,126 posts, read 16,000,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon33 View Post
If your claim benefits are exhausted in the beginning of January (5th)and you file a new claim at the end of the month (the day after claim expires)....and then a week later they reinstate the extensions...will you be backpaid for the weeks between the exhausted date and the new claim?
Yes - new legislation permitting. In the past, benefits have been reinstated retroactively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 02:52 PM

23 posts, read 16,770 times
New URGENT Question:

My claim expires 1/25/13. I received a letter (well basically a blank piece of paper with the standard small text at the top) from EDD saying the following

You have received all the benefits payable on your claim and no extended benefits are available to you. If unemployed, you many file a new claim by visiting our website at www.edd.ca.gove or calling your unemployment insurance office ONE TO FIVE DAYS BEFORE 1-25-14. If you file as instructed and are otherwise eligible, you may receive a waiting period credit for the week ending 1-25-14.

Then the standard jargon about it being taxable

My question is this:

When filing the claim within 5 days of 1/25, on the EDD application for the question
Have you filed an Unemployment Insurance Claim in California in the last 12 months?
Do I put yes or no. Since I'm filing before the BYE which they are instructing me to do, I would imagine 'yes' but won't that make me ineligible. It's a catch 22. Please HELP!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM

The answer is "yes."

Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 PM

Thanks - I had put no cause I counted the weeks....then at the end they ask if you've 'applied for a claim' in the past 2 years and I figured these were dates for 're-openeing' a claim. I then jumped back to this thread and saw your answer. Interesting thing is that is the ONLY thing you can't edit on the form. So I erased my name and ex-d out in order to start over - thank goodness I didn't submit. Better to do this than get some denial cause I accidentally put no.
THANKS ARIADNE22

Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 PM

NEW QUESTION.
As stated above I received a 'letter' stating that my benefits expired. However, I received a claim form as well for the following 2 weeks, ending 1/18. I went online to fill out the claim form because it is my understanding to fill out anything EDD sends. I knew the benefits were exhausted because I got the letter. As stated above I filed my claim online on the 22nd of January. I got another letter (clearly a response to the last claim form) that stated the exact same verbiage as I put above. Here is my question:

Today I went online to EDD webcert just to see what it said and for the last claim (ending week of 1/18) it said submitted and the date next to that said 1/22. I submitted the claim form on 1/19, I filed the NEW claim on 1/22....so why is the date of the NEW claim next to 'submitted' for the last claim form submitted?

I got a confirmation number for my new claim, but it seems strange to have that date next to the submittal of a claim form. Guess I am just worried cause of all the problems I've incurred...concerned they are confusing the form with the new claim. I have yet to receive the standard letter that I have filed the new claim. Perhaps this is just something they do. Clarification please...Thanks

Last edited by avalon33; 01-27-2014 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon33 View Post
I filed the NEW claim on 1/22....so why is the date of the NEW claim next to 'submitted' for the last claim form submitted?

Clarification please...Thanks
Because you filed your new claim prior to 1/25, as instructed, and therefore, as they told you:
Quote:
If you file as instructed and are otherwise eligible, you may receive a waiting period credit for the week ending 1-25-14.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 PM

Sorry, not understanding....

Why is the submitted date that is under status for this form refelcting the date the NEW claim was filed - regardless of a waiting period credit that is a week later. When I see a date on this line, it seems that it reflects the day the 2 week claim 'form' was filed (hence the confusion). Below is what is on my EDD web cert - see how it looks like the 1/22 date reflects the 2 week form ending 1/18?
It would be a lot clearer if 1/25 was on a new line. Since the waiting period credit is a week later why are they noting it next to this form info? Sorry but this is soooooo confusing to me and I am afraid of errors

Beginning 01/05/2014
Ending 01/18/2014
Weeks 2
Submitted0 1/22/2014

Last edited by avalon33; 01-28-2014 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 AM

Don't worry about it. It's CA's way of telling itself that a new claim was filed in advance of your bye so your waiting week is served.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 PM

Oh great, thank you!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 811 times
Hello, i am in a similar situation, my claim expired on 2-1-14.

I received the expiration letter stating i may qualify for a new claim but nothing about filing before my BYE. My claim began 2-3-13 and like i said it expired 2-1-14, i worked from 4/13-12/13 at which point i re-opened my claim.

My question is in regards to the new file question, "Have you filed an Unemployment Insurance Claim in California in the last 12 months?", common sense tells me the answer is no but i don't feel like going with my gut only to find out that re-opening a claim counts as filing a claim and having to answer to the edd.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated, also any thoughts on why i may not have received a letter advising me to file before my BYE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment