Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,069 times

Advertisements

It seems that I just exhausted my benefits from an old FED-ED (not EUC tier) extension from 2008/2009. I've researched this forum for days and from what I've read I should have never been transferred to an old FED-ED (or EB) extension since FED-ED extensions are only available on current claims.

Brief history:

I was laid off in 2008 during the economic downturn and was on unemployment for 93 weeks. I received 93/99 weeks of unemployment during that time.

I was employed full-time for three years from 2010-2013.

I lost my job and filed a *NEW* unemployment claim this year in April 2013. Claim expires 4/26/2014.

In November 2013, when my 26 weeks of State benefits were exhausted, it seems that I transitioned to an old "parent claim" from 2008/2009 [expiration date on extension claim forms: 7/25/2009] and just exhausted the remaining 6 weeks of FED-ED on that claim. From reading this forum, I understand that you have to exhaust the tiers from old claims first before being kicked over to your current claim. Is that true for old FED-ED claims too?

The last payment I received was for weeks 12/1/2013-12/14/2013. Today I received a completely BLANK continued claim form-- no bubbles or type-- for weeks 12/15/13 through 12/28/13 and the note at the top of the blank form states: "You have received all the extended benefits you are entitled to, and no further extensions are in effect at this time. If unemployed, you may be entitled to file a new claim. Call your unemployment office or visit our web site. Your claim balance after this payment is $0.00."

From my calculations, I'm supposed to be on an EUC extension for my 2013 claim and my extension should branch off my 2008 "parent claim" to Tier 1 of my most recent claim for 2013.

Do you think the EDD will branch me over to my current claim in order for me to collect the last two weeks of benefits for 2013? That is, until the government makes a decision for 2014 regarding EUC.

Do you think it's normal protocol to put me on FED-ED from an old claim? Or is it against the norm and will potentially cause problems, like, not being transferred correctly to my current claim?

Anyone else have this experience with being on FED-ED from an old claim and having it work out?

Thanks for you help,
diggle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 07:29 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Thank you for that very clear claim history.

Basic terminology:
  1. State of CA benefits - up to 26 weeks
  2. EUC benefits (Emergency Unemployment Compensation aka Tiers 1-4) - at present CA is paying Tiers 1-3, maximum of 37 weeks
  3. FED-ED - CA's terminology for Extended Benefits - 100% paid by govt - up to 20 weeks
First, CA triggered off "FED-ED" in May, 2012. FED-ED is no longer available on any past or current claim.

Even if you had begun FED-ED on that old claim before you went back to work, FED-ED differs from EUC in that once the state triggers off FED-ED, all FED-ED payments IMMEDIATELY cease. So, you should never have received any FED-ED this year from any claim.

If you were in fact being paid "FED-ED" from the older claim, this is an error on CA's part. Given CA's current software problems, anything is possible.

Don't worry about it. If and when CA catches this error, they should offset that overpayment with EUC from the 2013 claim.

Depending on when you exhausted the old FED-ED/EUC, yes, CA should now automatically be transitioning you to EUC from your 2013 claim - with payments through week ending 12/28. However, CA has had problems doing this for some people - especially when cycling between claims. If you were, in fact, paid FED-ED instead of EUC, then you may very well have problems with the transition.

You may yet get something from CA next week on this transition. Otherwise, unfortunately, you'll need to call.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-28-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 07:54 PM

Thank you for your reply, Ariadne22. You are such a jewel of knowledge on this forum. Your words are definitely calming and your knowledge is vast.

Yea, it seemed super odd to me too. I knew FED-ED was a thing of the past. Oddly, as soon as I transitioned from 26 weeks Regular UI on my 2013 claim to what was supposed to be my EUC-- the date on my claim form showed 2009 (instead of what was 04-26-14) and the dollar amount countdown showed the total of what would be: $450 x 6 weeks. I researched and did calculations and realized 6 weeks equaled what was remaining on my old claim in FED-ED (93/99 weeks).

I've waited over 6 weeks since I transitioned to this 2009 claim to see what would happen. Today when I got the BLANK claim form stating that I had exhausted all of my extensions-- instead of branching off to my current 2013 EUC claim-- I realized something was amiss.

I know CA EDD was transitioning to new software system, so my EUC was probably tucked in that transition and maybe something became confused in the process. My hope is they catch the error since I should be on EUC for the last two weeks of this year. Fingers crossed for 2014 too.

I'll take your advice and wait it out next week and see if anything arrives in the mail.

Again, many thanks! I appreciate your time and sharing what you know.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 PM

Post an update, if you can. It always helps to know how these things end.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:14 PM

I definitely will keep you and the forum posted.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 PM

15 posts, read 173,345 times
Hi All....Quick question: I have finally begun working enough to not be eligible for any payments! Yay! I am a few weeks into 1st Fed extension. So...I just received the 2 week continued claim covering week 12-15 to 12-21 and 12-22 to 12-28. I have been working and earning enough to not qualify for any benefits for those two weeks. My question is this: Do I need to fill out the continued claim form and include my new employer and my earnings and still document a "work search" history as requested( even tho I am working every day?) or can I just not fill it out and not send it in and be done with it? If I do, do I still need to fill out a work search as requested by the "x" on my claim form? My claim balance is still 1588.00 and maybe(?) I will work/ earn less and Fed Extensions will be reinstated???? I may have just answered my own question! Send it in or not? Thoughts???

Old 12-31-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal4 View Post
or can I just not fill it out and not send it in and be done with it? If I do, do I still need to fill out a work search as requested by the "x" on my claim form? My claim balance is still 1588.00 and maybe(?) I will work/ earn less and Fed Extensions will be reinstated????
Don't send in claim forms. Don't report work searches. Still keep a work search log. Balance remains for future use if extensions are reinstated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment