U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 19,843 times

Advertisements

I live in Tennessee and filed on October 28 2013. 12 weeks and I still haven't heard ANYTHING.
Every time I call to check the status, I get the recording that "A determination has not yet been decided, please continue to certify each week....Good Bye."

I also sent 4 emails to the 'Contact Us' link on the Tennessee Unemployment web site and received 4 email confirmations stating that a representative
would be contacting me within 5-7 business days. Well, no one has contacted me yet. I'm wondering if I will ever get any of my benefits due me.
As of today, I am owed for 12 weeks (over $3,000). I don't know what else to do.

I read on another site where someone had contacted their State Representative regarding their unpaid unemployment benefits and it worked for them,
so I decided to try this route as well. I looked up my Representative Legislators - TN General Assembly and sent him an email explaining my situation.

Below is a sample of the email I sent. If you want to contact your State Representative, you can 'Copy & Paste' it to an email, then modify it to your own situation and send.
Dear xxxxxx;

I am writing to you because you are my state Representative and I need your help. I lost my job on October 28, 2013 and filed for unemployment a few days later.
I was told that it would take 3-4 weeks to receive my first check and that I needed to certify each week to continue receiving benefits.

It has been 12 weeks since I filed and every time I call the Unemployment Office in Nashville to check on the status of my claim, I am told by a recording that
"A decision has not been made at this time. Please continue to certify each week". Then they say "Good Bye" and hang up.

I have also sent 4 emails to them inquiring about the status of my claim and received 4 email confirmations stating that someone will respond within 5-7 business days.
I waited at least 10 days after each email I sent before sending another, hoping someone would call. So far, no one has responded to any of my requests.
No letter, no email or phone call. I am really concerned as to why it is taking so long, -- but more concerning is why no one has called me back.

The past unemployment payments due me totals $3,240 ($270 week x 12 weeks) and I haven't received anything yet, nor any explanation as to why.
Could you please check on this and let me know what you find out? My unemployment info is below.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, xxxxxxxxx

(I then copied and pasted the 'View Benefits' info from 'my account' on the unemployment website, showing how much I'm entitled to, maximum payout, date employment ended, etc...)

I will post an update if it works.

Take care & best if luck, Star9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 PM

*******UPDATE*******UPDATE********UPDATE*******

I got a call from my State Representatives office the day after I sent my email. They called me at 9:15 am and took my information.
They said they would pass it on to the Unemployment Office. Three hrs later they called back and said that someone from the Unemployment Office
would be checking on it and call me in the next few days. They told me that if I didn't hear something by next Tuesday to call them back.
The lady even gave me her direct phone number. She was VERY nice and sympathetic with my situation.

WITHIN 24 HRS a representative from the Unemployment Office called me (9:00 am today) and said that THE ENTIRE AMOUNT of my back benefits (all $3,000 of it)
would be in my bank by the end of business today.....yes!

If you have been waiting....and waiting.... and can't seem to get the answers to your claim, try what I did and contact your State Representative.
My claim was filed over 12 weeks ago.

The email I sent WORKED.

I would only recommend this for those who have been waiting at least 8 weeks or longer because I was told by the Unemployment Office
that it is taking 8-9 weeks to process the claims they now have.

Refer to the links I posted in my first post to find your State Representative (if you live in Tennessee)
or Google it (for other states) and send them an email.

Also, I would definitely recommend that when you do email them that you BE NICE in how you come across to them.
DO NOT start screaming or use angry or abusive words in your communication with anyone.
This is also important when someone from the State Capitol or Unemployment Office does call you back.

Kindness and patience is going to make them WANT to help you.
If you start cussing them out, calling them idiots, etc……they may not care to help you so much.

Take care & best if luck, Star9

Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 PM

4,287 posts, read 2,924,914 times
Weird..... you posted your first post at 943pm today and said you would post an update if you heard anything..... 9 minutes later, you post an 'update' that you got a response 'the next day'.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 PM

14,255 posts, read 18,811,966 times
Fwiw, contacting state rep is always recommended when claim is in a stall.

We've been doing that here for years on this Forum, with 100% success reported - except in CA which has such awful problems, legislator intervention sometimes cannot help b/c their underlying software is so FUBAR - nothing works.

Of late we've had many reports from MA, NJ. Last year and years previously PA, WI, and others. Contacting state rep works almost everywhere. The state UE offices often need this kick in the rear. In every case, problem is resolved within a week.

On other threads I've listed contacts for TN in particular, including people at the regional DOL when EUC became problematic, as well as state legislators. Here is just one:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/31835729-post53.html

Tennessee Unemployment Question

Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 AM

The post are 9 mins apart because I re-posted this from another web site forum that I'm a member of. I could see that a lot of people were in the same boat as me and I wanted to share my successful outcome and hopefully it would work for others as well.

I emailed my Representative on Monday afternoon (Jan 20, 2013 at 4:00pm), they called me the following morning, I got the call from the Unemployment Office yesterday morning (the day I posted this) and at 11:57 pm last night I received a text alert that funds had been deposited in the amount of $2970.

....didn't expect to be criticized for trying to help......whatever.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,445 times
thanks for the info I am in TN also and I am on my 4th week waiting
I hope it don't take 12 weeks wow

Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,678 times
I'm on my 11th week waiting...same scenario...I call and can reach no one. I've left four contact email messages. No one called me. My first was sent on January 5th, 2014. I got a response on February 13th by email that said they believed my issues were resolved and wouldn't be calling.
I called the governor's office this Wednesday and they connected me with someone from the DOL. They said they would send an email to a UI Supervisor and since it was the 11th week, I should have a response by today. NO RESPONSE. I called the governor's office again this afternoon, spoke to someone at DOL and they "flagged" it..said I should receive a response on Monday. We shall see. I am not holding my breath.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,875 times
I am curious if Rozilita ever received benefits? I am on week 10 and no response. I have sent emails to the contact us but have not gone any further yet. Wanted to know if they contacted you, what they told you and if you got your benefits yet?! Thanks

Old 03-05-2014, 03:26 PM

14,255 posts, read 18,811,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bky99 View Post
I am curious if Rozilita ever received benefits? I am on week 10 and no response. I have sent emails to the contact us but have not gone any further yet. Wanted to know if they contacted you, what they told you and if you got your benefits yet?! Thanks
Email in CA is a complete waste of time - especially when it comes to processing new claims. No one should passively sit around waiting for email responses which never come - especially for 10 weeks. You need to call CA and ask what's up.

Good suggestions on the last couple of pages of this thread - people are getting through:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM

2,448 posts, read 1,563,225 times
Are states really this bad at processing claims? It seems like every day I am reading about delayed payments and what not...

I can't say anything bad about WA. I filed a claim last June and reopened it for a month in January. I did everything online and the processing was swift.

Calling in to talk to a rep wasn't an issue either... I just waited till Tuesday per their website stating that Monday was the busy day.

I guess WA is running state of the art computers with modern phone hardware because my state seems to be miles above the rest in terms of speed and quality of service in addition to max benefit amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment