U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 AM

2,408 posts, read 1,433,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Senate Republicans have been pressuring Democrats to allow them to offer amendments to the unemployment extension package. On Wednesday, Republicans sought unanimous consent to attach their amendments to the bill, but each time Democrats objected.
Democrats have been reluctant to allow amendments to the bill, in part because it has the 60 votes needed to pass. The measure was negotiated over months between five Democrats and five Republicans. Attaching a controversial amendment could bring down the whole bill.

More of the same back and forth stuff...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,215,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Those jobs are gone and never coming back right?
I would disagree with that. Some Manufacturing jobs ARE returning to this country. Cost of labor in countries like China are on the raise, along with higher shipping and energy costs, there’s a shift to bring jobs back to this country. Granted it’s not a huge migration, but it is beginning to occur.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,044,367 times
There are some jobs that haven't left but hiring depends on the economy. My job is directly related to the economy. When the economy is good people spend more on their pets and when the economy is poor they pretty much only want the minimum done (vaccines, heartworm test, flea and tick products). People won't bring their indoor pets in for exams like cats and exotics unless there is a problem. So for me, it's not that my job has left. It's that I need the economy to pick up so veterinary hospitals get busier and begin to hire again.

And I did say in an earlier post that both EUC extension and job creation go hand and hand and must be done together to have any sort of success.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:33 PM

586 posts, read 379,751 times
THe final vote on the EUC was pushed to Monday at 5:30 . No way this gets done before the Easter break now.

Floor Updates 04/03/2014:1:53 PM (Eastern Daylight Time)

The Senate has reached an agreement on H.R.3979, the legislative vehicle for the Unemployment Insurance Extension bill. Under the agreement, there will be up to 3 roll call votes (2 expected) at 2:30pm today and one roll call vote at 5:30pm on Monday.

The details of the agreement are below:

At 2:30pm today, all post-cloture time on the Reed amendment #2874 will be considered expired. The following amendments will be withdrawn: #2875, #2877 and #2878.

Senator Sessions or his designee will then be recognized to raise a budget point of order against the Reed amendment #2874; once the budget point of order is raised, Senator Murray or her designee will be recognized to make a motion to waive.

At 2:30pm today, there will be up to 3 roll call votes (2 expected):

1) Murray or designee motion to waive the Budget Act with respect to the Reed amendment #2874 (60-vote threshold)

2) If the motion is successful (which is expected), adoption of the Reed amendment #2874, as amended, if amended (expected voice vote)

3) Motion to invoke cloture on H.R.3979, as amended, if amended (60-vote threshold)

If cloture is invoked on H.R.3979, all post-cloture time will be expired at 5:30pm on Monday, April 7th and the Senate will vote on passage of H.R.3979, as amended, if amended.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:21 PM

350 posts, read 239,691 times
So, the last I saw on CSPAN today (before my phone interview) was they voted 61-35 to invoke cloture on the full bill H.R. 3979 (this was the completion of step 3 above). This will limit debate to 30 hours and set the full measure up for easy passage Monday evening.

For passage of the full bill, it would require a majority of 51 votes to pass the Senate. It still faces difficulty in the House, as Speaker John Boehner hasn't changed his stance on bringing the measure to the floor.

In the past, most of us thought that it's unlikely that EUC would pass before the break. That hasn't changed considering John Boehner's defiance/resistance to extending UI, the expected back & forth between the 2 houses, and utilization of committees to come to an agreement - the process exhausts legislative time.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 PM

586 posts, read 379,751 times
This will pass Monday if they vote., Everyday its a different issue for stalling it. . They could easily do this tomorrow but they just cant seem to work Fridays.

Had my second interview today (1st interview was Monday) and I am one of 2 candidates left for the position. Its a night job , Supervisor of operations 11pm to 8am but the money is great. I should find out early next week if i got the job. Never worked the night shift but at this point I will take a job that is any hours and just to not have to deal with this whole EUC junk and pay my bills.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,433,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post

Had my second interview today (1st interview was Monday) and I am one of 2 candidates left for the position. Its a night job , Supervisor of operations 11pm to 8am but the money is great. I should find out early next week if i got the job. Never worked the night shift but at this point I will take a job that is any hours and just to not have to deal with this whole EUC junk and pay my bills.
Good luck! Hope it works out for ya!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 PM

350 posts, read 239,691 times
Quote:
This will pass Monday if they vote., Had my second interview today (1st interview was Monday) and I am one of 2 candidates left for the position. Its a night job , Supervisor of operations 11pm to 8am but the money is great.
I agree the EUC would pass in the Senate - it's just delayed until Monday. It's great you're one of the final 2 candidates for the position. I hope you are given an offer! The cash-flow in would offset the night shift. I'd sincerely thank you for your input with EUC.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:18 PM

42 posts, read 16,828 times
Quote:
This will pass Monday if they vote., Everyday its a different issue for stalling it. . They could easily do this tomorrow but they just cant seem to work Fridays.

Wish you well!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:12 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,044,367 times
Quote:

Good luck! But you better still stop in from time to time if you get the job - you will be missed very much around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment