Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 11:02 AM

839 posts, read 1,209,184 times

Advertisements

Here is from the Yahoo Article

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/unempl...093000629.html

On Thursday, it played out this way:

Democrats came to work holding out hope that Republicans – in the face of guaranteed eventual passage of the unemployment insurance bill – would grant unanimous consent to waive some procedural requirements and allow a vote to take place.
Republicans, though, annoyed by Reid’s refusal to allow them to offer amendments, wouldn’t play ball. South Dakota Sen. John Thune went to the floor and offered a deal. Republicans would allow the bill to move forward Thursday if Reid allowed a vote on an amendment Almost as an afterthought, the amendment threw in a job-training program.

Unsurprisingly, Democrats declined the deal. The upshot is that the vote will take place, and the bill will pass, on Monday night. Reid could have kept the Senate in session over the weekend, but he has no power to compel all the senators to stay in Washington. That means that while he could have forced passage of the bill, but he would have done so with a reduced body of senators. And, given the resistance to the proposal by Speaker Boehner and others in the House leadership, Democrats want to pass the bill with the largest possible bipartisan majority, to increase the pressure on their House counterparts.

However, by failing to pass the bill this week, the Senate has guaranteed that the House will have only three legislative days to work on the bill before lawmakers leave town on a two-week recess. Considering how little interest Boehner has expressed in passing a renewal of the extension, and how unlikely it is that the Republican House and Democratic Senate could come to agreement on a controversial bill in the space of three days, the delays in the Senate have virtually guaranteed that nothing happens on the unemployment insurance front until the end of April – four months after the EUC program expired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 AM

Some House Repoublcians are asking Boehner to allow a vote but ofcourse they see this as an opportunity to make changes and add things to the bill which means it will spends weeks in the House and then go back to the Senate again and H Ried came out yesterday and said he will not work with the House on any adjustments.

Some House Republicans Press for Vote on Unemployment Extension : Roll Call Policy

Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said he had no plans to open talks with House Republicans to tweak the package.
“I want them to pass this,” he said. “They can do whatever they want. ... Find out what they do, then I’ll react to it.”
Some Republicans have urged leaders to use the bill for action on a House-passed proposal (HR 803) by Virginia Foxx, R-N.C., to meld job training programs. The Foxx bill faces strong opposition from Senate Democrats including Labor, Health, Education and Pensions Chairman Tom Harkin of Iowa, who has advanced a separate job training plan (S 1356).

Old 04-04-2014, 11:47 AM

350 posts, read 506,055 times
Thanks DamageInc!

I didn't realize that "The number of opportunities to delay progress seems at times, almost infinite. For that reason, the chamber relies on “unanimous consent” rulings to speed things along. The Senate has an enormous number of procedural rules, but if everybody agrees to waive them, the can be, in effect, ignored", as explained in the yahoo article.

Initially I thought why is H Reid even considering another amendment on the Keystone Pipeline which Democrats have repeatedly voted against. Now I understand Republicans forced Democrats to jump through more procedural hoops yesterday.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:22 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,342 times
Can't this count towards payment of the bill?

Loss Of Unemployment Benefits Has Now Cost Almost $5 Billion As Congress Dithers

And how about this:

$6 Billion Goes Missing at State Department | The Fiscal Times

Can we subtract that from EUC? I swear you can't make this stuff up....

Old 04-04-2014, 06:02 PM

This bill was never going to pass , Democrats were allowing it knowing it was a 60 threshold vote and Republicans only have 45 votes . It was never going to pass but again they were appeasing Republicans just to get the unanimous consent. . But Republicans put too much in. If this ever passed it would be a disaster for Democrats and Obama.. It was anti global warming, It weakened the EPA , approved Keystone (Both of which most Demcorats dont support) and It got rid of alot of obamacare completely. there are alot of Democrats who do not want Obamacare anymore and or want the keystone and there is always the chance that 15 of them go along.

Repeal every other element of the ACA not specifically addressed in the rest of the amendment

Essentially that amendment removes pretty much all of Obamacare. Bill also gets rid of the Carbon tax for Global Warming, weekend the EPA etc. It was all the policys the Democrats hate.

Last edited by DamageInc; 04-04-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
lol - loaded with poison pills, indeed. Couldn't possibly be by design, could it?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 PM

350 posts, read 506,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
This bill was never going to pass , Democrats were allowing it knowing it was a 60 threshold vote and Republicans only have 45 votes . It was never going to pass but again they were appeasing Republicans just to get the unanimous consent. . But Republicans put too much in. If this ever passed it would be a disaster for Democrats and Obama.. It was anti global warming, It weakened the EPA , approved Keystone (Both of which most Demcorats dont support) and It got rid of alot of obamacare completely. there are alot of Democrats who do not want Obamacare anymore and or want the keystone and there is always the chance that 15 of them go along.

Repeal every other element of the ACA not specifically addressed in the rest of the amendment

Essentially that amendment removes pretty much all of Obamacare. Bill also gets rid of the Carbon tax for Global Warming, weekend the EPA etc. It was all the policys the Democrats hate.
It was the Republican's Christmas list!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 PM

One of the shows today had a conversation about the unemployed and they explained there are 2 sets of unemployed. The regular unemployed who are finding a job 3-4 months after getting unemployed and those group of about 3 million left over from the great recession of 5 years to about a year ago who cant get work.

Today the government released a report showing that finally after 6 years all jobs lost in the reccession were regained and refilled. what that means is these 3 million are displaced. people without a job. And the Economy was almost back to what it was.

The U.S. economy has reached a milestone: It has finally regained all the private-sector jobs it lost during the Great Recession.Yet it took a painfully slow six years, and unemployment remains stubbornly high at 6.7 percent.
The comeback figures were contained in a government report Friday that showed a solid if unspectacular month of job growth in March.

That figure will slowly come down as they get jobs but it is still around 3 million people. The issue was what to do with them and to help them,. They as one analyst said have been unemployed so long they are not attractive to employers due to being unemployed so long. They though it might take years to get everyone employed again and its not feasible to give unemployment benefits for the next 2-4 years (about how long they think it will take to re employ these 3 million etc) which makes sense BUT no body had an answer on what to do with the long term unemployed.

Congress after they figure out if they are giving this 5 month extension needs to work on some plan for these 3 million people who are unemployed at no fault of there own , victims of the great reccession and want to work. I hope some one does something for us. I doubt there will be another extension (duh!) after what they just went through to get this small one and with the economy imporving and unemployment coming down the extensions will come to an end but we need help.

I hope as these extensions end they dont forget the long term unemployed. Its not just money. They have to find a way to get all 3 million employed again. Even if the goverment hires them as has been thrown out. Or some kind of a way to move any of the long term unemployed to parts of the countrys where employment is high. Someone smart better come up with something.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM

60 posts, read 83,794 times
Luckily I have had enough shirt orders this month to keep my bills paid again. Just trying to make it until June when my lease is up then im moving back with the family. On another note..the little car that i brought a few weeks ago has died and needs a engine, sold for a $300 loss and now Im back on the bus. I swear if I didnt have this heat press, and vinyl plotter i would have been on the streets months ago.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 AM

75 posts, read 110,882 times
House Democrats wear stickers to urge passage of unemployment insurance - Washington Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment