Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,902 times

Advertisements

The facts:

My employment ended in early January(2014).

I promptly filed a claim with EDD, had a phone interview and subsequently received an award letter and debit card.

Every two weeks I tele-cert and payment is typically received(relatively) promptly;

On March 24th, as per usual I phone and telecert. Still no payment by March 27, so I call 408-436-5603 and by some miracle I get through to someone. She advises me that payment had stopped probably because I had a phone interview scheduled for April 4th. She would not explain her causal inference or even what the phone interview was to be about only that I would be receiving something in the mail.

In a couple days I did receive notice of a scheduled phone interview between 10-12:
"During the interview you may be asked some of the following questions:

The reason why you did not provide the information required to file your new claim.
This information may include:
- Your last emplyer name and address
- A letter or form from Social Security Administration verifying the social security number assigned to you
- Proof of wages you earned
- Answers to any other questions required to file a claim"

I double checked and the phone number on the letter that they indicated would be called was correct. I had my phone on me all day and did not receive a call. I double checked with the phone company thinking it could have been an issue with my phone but it wasn't. No voicemail either so, I'm more than reasonably certain no one called.

Yesterday, I called and after a couple of transfers, was dropped into the voicemail of the person whom I was told was "handling" this.

9:30 AM I left a voicemail for her.
12:30 PM I called and left another her another voicemail.
3:45 PM still no one has called me back so I called and left a 3rd voicemail.
4:45 PM I call again play phone loop with the machine until the recording wins and tells me they're closed and to call back at a different time.

Every person I spoke with was asked point blank "why have my payments stopped?". One girl said something about returned mail from my employer but transferred me before she would clarify.

No one will tell me what is going on and the one person that I am assured can/will tell me does not answer or return my phone call. What do I do? The interview letter came from the San Diego office.

1. I have not had any employment, part time or otherwise since my termination
2. I have not been on unemployment previously and have not filed any new claims, only continuing certs of my original claim
3. I have no reason to believe my former employer would be contesting my UI benefits

also,

Although this is technically irrelevant, as of today I am officially homeless. If anyone could point me to some links or local services I would be appreciative. I do still have my phone and a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
You can visit your local EDD office with an eviction notice/utility shutoff - they should be able to generate some payment for you in a few days.

List if CA social services - you can get cash - AND you should apply for food stamps:

http://edd.ca.gov/pdf/Assistance_for...lifornians.pdf

Then call Gov's office. They have a special liaison who works w/EDD.

Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. -

Also, email your state representative:

Find Your California Representative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment