Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 PM

10 posts, read 15,212 times

Advertisements

I filed the end of March. Received award letter, been filling out continued claim forms (had two)and I’m in CA. Had my interview last week; 6 days ago.

The interview was awful, but whatever. I filed against my employer because of sexual harassment (I quit) and they denied it/lied even though we both have proof (camera, witnesses, emails and exit interview written with the scenarios signed by me and the employer).

I am waiting to hear back if I am indeed going to get UI. Today I got a letter saying, “Unemployment compensation is taxable. A question on the claim form allows you to request federal income tax withholding at 10% of your payable amount. You make a new withholding choice on each claim form you submit.”

I am losing hair. Does this mean anything? Does this mean I am going to get UI? Or is this just a tease? I am not withholding right now because my bills need every penny and I will pay it back at the end of the year.

This letter also states that none of the weeks for 3-29-14 and 4-05-14 were paid (both say $.00), nor did it tell me I made too much money. All it said was what I quoted above.

Thank you for your help! I'm so confused and worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
So did you quit because of this harassment????

Letter means nothing on approval. Wait for the decision.

If you are denied, appeal. In CA, you will win. CA hears appeals fairly quickly. If case is too complicated and/or you weren't able to provide interviewer with all your evidence, the interviewer may deny and let the appeals system sort it out. Don't be upset if there is a denial. It means nothing at this stage.

CA on harassment:

Voluntary Quit VQ 440 - Working Conditions - see #3

Old 04-23-2014, 06:39 PM

I got a letter of denial today. I quit my job because of sexual harassment and didn't put it in my two weeks notice email. I've learned my lesson with that. I also told my boss about it a month or so before I decided to quit. She did nothing about it so I started to look for new work as I couldn't take another day at that place. When I wrote my resignation letter, I wrote it in a way to be professional and not burn a bridge - the interviewer told me I should have added the sexual harassment situation, too. Learned the hard way. So I took the other job and had an exit interview with my boss's boss and told him everything that went on. Touching, sexual advances and comments about my clothes to not being pretty when I'm upset. The wrote it all down and started an investigation and it's all documented. I even gave them times to look at the security cameras when I was touched and when I was getting evil glares from the guys doing this.

Interviewer told me none of that matters and made the case against the employer I worked at for four days after I quit the sexual harassment job. I quit the four day job as they had an incredibly unsanitary work environment (see: picking up food off of ground and serving it to customers, etc) and were bullying me when training (whatever with that, I know that doesn't qualify for "good cause"). They also told me I wouldn't be receiving breaks and my pay they offered me was changed in discussion after working there the second day. I wasn't going to leave one abusive job for another. So that's when I decided it was best to apply for UI as I couldn't find work and quit that job.

The interviewer used that second job as a reason for denial as I quit because "I didn't like the job". I told her everything I've said here.

Is there even a point to appeal? Because my concern is more with the job that I worked at for a year, not four days.

I feel bamboozled.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM

Note: the sexual harassment still continued after I put in my two weeks. And I felt some retaliation for sure. All in all, I'm glad I'm not there anymore!

Old 04-23-2014, 06:56 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOSFCA View Post
Because my concern is more with the job that I worked at for a year, not four days.
What???? It's always all about the last separation. You would have received benefits on the first job, for sure. If not initially, you would have won on appeal.

The second job/quit just killed your claim until you work again and have another qualifying separation, unless you can find something in CA code to justify it. Better start reading the UIBDG on VQs. There may be something in there on which you can hang your hat on appeal.

Voluntary Quit - Table of Contents

This
Quote:
They also told me I wouldn't be receiving breaks and my pay they offered me was changed in discussion after working there the second day.
may very well be good cause and should have been your focus in your interview. Did you tell the interviewer about the reduced pay?? Work with the change in pay when you appeal. It's your only chance.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
I scecond change in pay. Greed is recoginized by the UI system. Don't be afraid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment