U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM

467 posts, read 566,285 times

Advertisements

I know if I file on Monday then I don't get benefits next week, however if I file today, I will be eligible for benefits next week. However, since I am on the payroll until the end of the week, do I have no choice but to file on Monday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 02:01 PM

19,547 posts, read 37,254,648 times
What state are you in? If you are in CA, filing this week Friday night or Saturday will accomplish your goal. If you are in another state, your earnings may disallow a waiting week. Each state handles the waiting week requirement differently.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 PM

4,807 posts, read 6,321,988 times
File NOW. I don't know what state you're in but some have the "waiting week" nonsense. When I lost my job in 2013, it was 3 weeks before I got an unemployment payment and it wasn't even for a full week!

It doesn't matter when you're on the payroll ---- it goes by the last day you worked. (even though in NY they ask if you were owed or received Holiday or vacation pay)

Look at your state's unemployment website and see what the rules are!

Old 06-19-2014, 12:57 AM

9,602 posts, read 13,733,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Look at your state's unemployment website and see what the rules are!
Forget looking to the state. If filing now gets you the benefit you want and the max length of claim, let the state sort out when your last day was and if being kept on the payroll changes things. You only have Thursday and most likely part of Friday to apply and have this week count. Some states might allow a Friday after close or a Saturday filing, but you can't count on that. You want to do what's safe. Filing too soon won't hurt you, but filing a day late can't be fixed.

Now, if you have a start and stop work history, then your also need to consider if you should file now vs waiting until the new quarter starts on July 6. We've had enough people file the day they got let go and were then sorry because if they'd waited a week or two or three, they'd have gotten lots more money per week, and for a whole lot more weeks. Also, know that wages already used for a past claim can't be used for a second claim. You also might be someone that had an earlier claim and isn't really applying for a new claim but actually reopening an old one. Get us the facts if you want help with this. The clock is ticking.

Do the math, and do it quick. If you need help, you need to be posting hourly with new information. Don't make any mistakes because they are way hard to correct.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Forget looking to the state. If filing now gets you the benefit you want and the max length of claim, let the state sort out when your last day was and if being kept on the payroll changes things. You only have Thursday and most likely part of Friday to apply and have this week count. Some states might allow a Friday after close or a Saturday filing, but you can't count on that. You want to do what's safe. Filing too soon won't hurt you, but filing a day late can't be fixed.

Now, if you have a start and stop work history, then your also need to consider if you should file now vs waiting until the new quarter starts on July 6. We've had enough people file the day they got let go and were then sorry because if they'd waited a week or two or three, they'd have gotten lots more money per week, and for a whole lot more weeks. Also, know that wages already used for a past claim can't be used for a second claim. You also might be someone that had an earlier claim and isn't really applying for a new claim but actually reopening an old one. Get us the facts if you want help with this. The clock is ticking.

Do the math, and do it quick. If you need help, you need to be posting hourly with new information. Don't make any mistakes because they are way hard to correct.
Here is my situation:

I worked until March 2013 and filed for UE mid April 2013 because I was on STD until then. I was collecting until the end of September 2013 at the maximum amount. I was employed September 30 until last Tuesday. My understanding is I would have to file a new claim and my earnings from Q1 2013 and Q4 2013 will count for my base year of Jan through Dec 2013. Q1 of 2013 wages did not count in my 2013 UE claim because I believe they took Jan through Dec 2012 as my base year. I earned enough to max out.

I am assuming I do not need to wait until July because I don't need Q1 2014 wages to collect the max 26 weeks?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:24 PM

I'm sorry what is LAG?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:27 PM

Do STD payments count as wages for UE? I had pay income taxes on them

Old 06-19-2014, 01:38 PM

You never said what state you are in or where your STD came from. If the STD is an employer plan, it might very well be wages for the purposes of UI. Maybe you meant you were on workman's comp.

You have a very unusual situation here.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You never said what state you are in or where your STD came from. If the STD is an employer plan, it might very well be wages for the purposes of UI. Maybe you meant you were on workman's comp.

You have a very unusual situation here.
I am in Illinois. Yes, STD are an employer plan. I never was on Workers Comp. I have to pay federal and state tax on it. My accountant said they were considered wages. What happened was I was on STD from Feb 2 but the employer paid me until March 12 full wages and I was on STD until April 7. The employer was reimbursed 60 percent of my wages until March 12 from the provider. I also got from the employer 2 weeks vacation accrual from them in March.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM

At a minimum, you know the checks issued by your employer count whether they got reimbursed or not. Just because you paid taxes on the money from the provider isn't conclusive. Banks pay interest that's taxable, but no one gets UI because of that income.

Do some calculations on your base period to see which period gets you the best benefit, and then time your filing accordingly. As for the "paid through Friday" thing. Don't let that stop you. In a lot of states the definition is "work for remuneration" and when an employer just pays you a guilt offering (money they give you that you didn't work for), it isn't always wages that affect your claim. It'll get sorted out eventually, and you don't want to delay things a week just because you made a bad assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment