Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 05:08 AM

617 posts, read 935,772 times

Advertisements

I am just recently unemployed and found a 1 year contract position that pays less than my old salary. It's 29 percent less. I am thinking of taking it until I found another job. A pay cut is still better than unemployment.

However, if I decide not to take it, I believe I can still continue collecting UE in Illinois because the pay cut is so much and I am just recently collecting. Is that true? Also, I can make a good argument a few of the duties do not match my skill set. Am I obligated to report this offer to UE if I decide not to take it?

Last edited by jobseeker2013; 07-07-2014 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,001,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I am thinking of taking it until I found another job. A pay cut is still better than unemployment.
This is a huge falacy. What you need to understand is that a new job means a new separation issue when you lose it. With a 29% cut, your tolerance for any job issues will be extremely low. There's plenty of threads where people have taken jobs where they thought it was the right thing to do, and had wished they'd have just kept looking for a job about as good or better than the one they lost when things went sour shortly after starting.

Also, don't just think because you're making more than on unemployment that you're somehow doing yourself a favor. You can have situations where when you look at the NET gain over UI benefits that you're really only making $1 to $2/hour. Think very hard about whether you want to do this.

The way you describe things, you are too new to your claim to be acting this desperate at such a short time. However IL does have a 30 day rule that is not the norm for most states. If within 30 days, and you better count them right, you can ditch this job, and the separation will be based on suitability rather than having good cause. Save your money though because those adjudications take time and you don't want to be so broke that you wish you'd have kept the job because of issues with unpaid bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
However, if I decide not to take it, I believe I can still continue collecting UE in Illinois because the pay cut is so much and I am just recently collecting. Is that true? Also, I can make a good argument a few of the duties do not match my skill set. Am I obligated to report this offer to UE if I decide not to take it?
Yes and Yes. There is no point in trying to not report the refusal when it's clearly unsuitable. I get that people get sneaky, but a lot of people do it for the wrong reason. When turning down a job, money, distance, hours, are better things to hang your hat on because the numbers involved make it a rather objective issue. When you use duties trying not to sound greedy or lazy, then that's a fuzzy one, and you want to stay away from those if you can. If the job was 15% less then you might want to heap on more, but 29% is enough all by itself so make your life easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment