Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 123,430 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was supposed to be paid $418 every week but I received a letter stating

Your deductions are equal to or greater than your weekly benefit amount.

I have not worked at all, I don't understand what does this mean. Please attached picture of letter as well. Can someone guide me. I am in Chicago IL
Attached Thumbnails
Deducts exceed WBA-09-06-2014-2-36-pm_resized.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 04:00 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
In the lower row it has "unavail days." The system thinks that you are not available or not looking for work. This isn't because you are working and earning money, it's because you aren't doing something you're supposed to be doing, or your separation was based on medical or childcare, and until you prove able and availble, you'll continue to not get any money.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:45 PM

Thanks Chyvan. I think I must have selected 5 days for the following question when certifying . I understood this question as that if I worked that week . So if you are correct I should have selected "yes" to the below question? Am I still entitled to these weeks $ , will they still pay or do I have pay for my mistake?

Were you able and available to work each day during your normal work week?
• If no, enter the number of days you were unavailable for work in each of the weeks.

Did you work during the period of Sunday (week 1 beginning date) through Saturday (week 2 ending date)? Tip: Have your gross earnings before taxes and other deductions available.

• If yes, enter the total amount of earnings (before deductions) for each week.
• Has your dependency status changed during this certification period?

Old 09-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago2009 View Post

Were you able and available to work each day during your normal work week? YES
• If no, enter the number of days you were unavailable for work in each of the weeks. This would be blank because the answer is YES

Did you work during the period of Sunday (week 1 beginning date) through Saturday (week 2 ending date)? Tip: Have your gross earnings before taxes and other deductions available. NO because you didn't work

• If yes, enter the total amount of earnings (before deductions) for each week. Blank because it's NO
• Has your dependency status changed during this certification period?
If you misread the question, by all means call and ask if it can be fixed. If they schedule you for a phone interview, go through with it. If they send you a letter telling you "no," then appeal it. I'd be willing to invest some time in this because there's $800+ involved.

So you know, the money's not lost. It just means that you can't collect it until the backend. So if you get a job before you run out of UI money, then it's lost, but if you stay out of work long enough, you'll eventually collect it. That's the risk. Unless you have a crystal ball, it's probably best to get the money up front, so make the effort.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 PM

Just wanted to give an update ( might benefit other folks in IL or anywhere this situation is applicable).

The person I spoke to was kind enough and he corrected few things on his end as I explained him that I misunderstood the question. They will release the funds but first pay is always waiting period so I would get $418 this week.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 PM

Good to hear it wasn't too much trouble.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 38,883 times
Hey,

I received the same letter. And I'm sitting here trying to figure out what did I answer incorrectly to cause this as well. What did he end up correcting?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 34,865 times
I am experiencing the same problem. Have not received a letter but when I call to see if I have been paid. It states there are deductions for the weeks claimed. What does that mean? And what do I do?

Old 07-05-2018, 09:34 AM

You call and ask. He knew his mistake. You don't.

If you find you made a mistake, then ask to have it corrected.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 24,576 times
What number are you trying, every number I have tried never gave me the option to talk to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment