Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think i can win?
Yes 1 100.00%
Maybe 0 0%
Not likely 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:19 PM

11 posts, read 28,870 times

Advertisements

I have been approved for unemployment. I have 2 questions. I am dyslexic so this entire process has been confusing for me.. I had so many appeals going I got them mixed up. I failed to register with Michigan works in time to receive my first few weeks of benefits. I was then denied those weeks. I filed appeals up to ALJ. After I was denied at his level I failed to realize I appealed other decisions but not that one. I realized this on the 32 day. I send in a request to be reheard with new evidence. I have never disclosed my dyslexic condition. I didn’t feel I need to. Its embarrassing and my personal medical information. However I included this on my request to be reheard. (#1)- Do you think they will consider it and allow me another hearing? And if so do you think they will consider this good cause for not understanding the requirement to file with Michigan works? I had to get help once I realized something wasn’t right…(both with failing to register with Michigan Works and the late appeal for that particular decision). The other question I have is this.. (#2)- Is there any acceptable excuse to still receive benefits for a week that I certified I was sick and therefore unable to work. The sickness (flu) caused me to certify late. They excepted this excuse for filing late on both weeks. But they only approved the first week (where I wasn’t sick) they denied my 2nd stating if I was unable to work I don’t qualify for benefits. This doesn’t seem fair to me. But the law is the law. Anyway to navigate around this? Or is my goose just cooked on this matter for this week? Thanks for any incite anyone can provide. If you were wondering YES I had help typing and articulating all of this comment!!!

I have spent a lifetime hiding my dyslexic condition. I have never used it for an excuse. I didn't want to disclose it to the UIA agency nor the judge. But it as definitely hurt me. 4 different appeals going at once (which by the way I have won 2 of the 4 thus far). My condition caused me to believe I had filed a timely appeal online per one of the letters not realizing that the issue was escalated beyond online appeals... My condition also contributed to me not fully understanding my requirement to register with Michigan works. I thought that by creating an online profile and uploading my resume I had done what I needed to. I didn't ask anyone for help because I didn't want to disclose my condition. By the time I swallowed my pride and did get help I had already forfeited several weeks for failing to register unbenounced to me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 03:31 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
Illness is never a good excuse in the UI system for not being able and available for work. The only time to waste time on that issue is if you were sick on Sunday and didn't file your claim, then it's possible to use it as an excuse IF your traditional work week is Monday to Friday with weekends off. In a case like that, your illness wouldn't be an issue for availibility because you wouldn't ever be working on a Sunday in the first place.

You can use your dyslexia as an excuse for a late filing, but don't expect a ton of mercy if they reject it as a late appeal.

The lesson is that when money is on the table, you have to understand your limitations and get a trusted individual involved to compensate for you.

As it stands now, are you registered with Michigan Works? Is your claim reopened? What you've done is not permanently disqualifying. You've only delayed those benefits and can collect them on the backend if you remain out of work long enough. Only if you get a job before your benefits run out, will you really need to kick yourself because at that point you did lose money that you could have had.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:46 PM

11 posts, read 28,870 times
Yes. I have been registered since mid October now. Claim opened. Currently awaiting payment for 6 weeks. I had to go to the problem resolution office just to get them to free up weeks they already should have. Wayne County is sad. It's terrible I have to chase after them to get benefits I am entitled to receive. I am hoping to be working very soon so most likely I will have lost some money. But working will provide more then UIA so I'm ready. Thanks for your reply!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 20,431 times
HI I applied for unemployment benefit online, and I was given Marvin call date. But, after that there was no sign of application, in activities there was no information about my new claim, and there was no benefit shown for new year. Can you please suggest me why is this happening? Is it a system problem or I made some mistake?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy01 View Post
HI I applied for unemployment benefit online,
What date, exactly?

Quote:
But, after that there was no sign of application, in activities there was no information about my new claim, and there was no benefit shown for new year.
What date, exactly, did you find no online information? It takes a week or more for some systems to process a new claim application. Also, last week was a holiday week, which slows things down, as well.

Quote:
Can you please suggest me why is this happening? Is it a system problem or I made some mistake?
Won't know until you tell us the dates you applied and checked online status. Guessing you're watching a pot boil. You need to give the computers time to catch up.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 20,431 times
Thanks for your reply . It is now showing up.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,258 times
does anyone know what issue closed level 3 means???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment