Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 11,378 times

Advertisements

I was recently laid off from my position with a recall date.
I applied for my benefits on the day I was laid off.
I received the claim information paper which directed me to file my first benefit today, 1/6.
I filed same and received a message that my claim was processed and being reviewed, but that no benefits are payable to me at this time.

I of course tried to call and got the recorded message to call back.

I did not have a phone interview date on my claim paperwork, just a date to call/file on line, which I did.

I am not sure what to think; does this mean my most recent employer could be appealing it? I find this doubtful because they are friends of mine and we talk daily, and they knew I was filing and in fact told me to file.

They also show my claim date as May 2014…I was previously employed and resigned due to a situation in my work environment (I was the Curriculum Director at a school; one of the teachers had spanked a child, and the school was under DYFS investigation, I was encouraged by the investigators to resign so I would not be caught up in all of the mess and risk my own teaching license. The previous employer never took out any payroll taxes whatsoever. ) I did file a claim at that time and was supposed to have a phone interview to discuss my resignation, but I started working at the other position, so did not need UI.

When I filed this recent claim, I filed as a new claim. Still it attached to the other claim I never received.

I am just not sure what to do next. Will I receive some information from UI as far as why my claim has to be reviewed or do I need to go to the nearest office?

Thank you for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 02:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Keep trying to get through to NJ. You will need a phone interview before any benefits are paid.

Since you never called NJ to withdraw the May claim, it remained as valid claim until its bye in May 2015 - to be reopened at any time during the benefit year. This is why the current filing is attached to the May application. The weekly benefit amount you receive because of this current layoff will be the amount assigned to your May 2014 claim - unless NJ is willing to void that claim at this late date (unlikely).

NJ should be scheduling an interview to investigate the circumstances of the May quit/forced resignation and the current discharge.

If NJ is true to form, this interview may not take place for at least a month or longer. Meanwhile, NJ will not be paying benefits.

Best call NJ or visit an office. Try to get an expedited interview. Even if you succeed in doing that, don't expect any money for a month, at least.

Meanwhile, KEEP CLAIMING. NJ will not pay weeks which have not been claimed.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Ugh, I kinda figured as much. I did receive my call the last time I filed that claim, but told the Claims Examiner I was presently working and did not need unemployment anymore. Would she have noted that and could that help this process?

I am more peeved that they sent me all the papers like everything was ok, and did not find any glitches beforehand if they thought there were any.

I am fortunate my partner is employed so this is not a huge hardship but it is still my only personal source of income right now and that feels like crap.

I will visit the local office tomorrow. I tried calling all afternoon with no luck.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylellobug2 View Post
Ugh, I kinda figured as much. I did receive my call the last time I filed that claim, but told the Claims Examiner I was presently working and did not need unemployment anymore. Would she have noted that and could that help this process?
She noted it. Whether or not she continued her investigation on that quit/discharge we don't know. In any event, NJ will revisit it again. They always do.

Quote:
I am more peeved that they sent me all the papers like everything was ok, and did not find any glitches beforehand if they thought there were any.
SOP - you always get standard correspondence first, just as an acknowledgement that you've filed/reopened the claim. Then, depending on how Qs are answered, a determination is made on whether further investigation is warranted.

Keep us updated, if you can, as experiences do vary.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:26 AM

Well, I called early yesterday morning and was on hold for 3 HOURS, but I finally spoke to someone and they are paying my claim. She kept asking me the same question over and over; whether I worked the week of the 27th, which I didn't. I guess I may have hit something during certifying that might have caused them to question? Not sure, but I just checked this morning and their system says they paid the claim, but there is nothing showing in my bank account yet. About how long does it usually take for the direct deposit to go in? I had previously used the debit card, but when I opened the new claim in Dec, I signed up for the Direct Deposit.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I just checked this morning and their system says they paid the claim, but there is nothing showing in my bank account yet. About how long does it usually take for the direct deposit to go in?
You should see your money Monday, latest. Payment is not overnight. In NJ, it's no more than two business days. Ex. claim Sunday, account credited on Tuesday.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:10 AM

I have another question…Am I now supposed to call weekly? Since I filed last Tues. should I do it again tomorrow, even though they did not process it until a couple days later?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Processing has nothing whatsover to do with when you can claim.

A week ends on a Saturday. If you're using webcert, you can begin claiming on the next day Sunday. Always claim each week, AFTER it ends.

That said, NJ at one time had certain days for telephone claiming based on SSN, so you may be restricted on which days you can use the telephone system.

Otherwise, if you register for webcert, you can claim every Sunday or anytime during the week. Recommend you get set up for webcert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment