Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoss View Post
So my question is would I have to pay the benefits back? I seem to recall some threads on here where people were able to get out of repayment when a decision was reversed.
NY will absolutely want repayment of all benefits paid to you. Your attorney may earn his keep if he can convince NY the decision to pay was their error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:47 PM

145 posts, read 149,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
NY will absolutely want repayment of all benefits paid to you. Your attorney may earn his keep if he can convince NY the decision to pay was their error.
I remember what it was called now. It was a repayment waiver. Would that be a possibility?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
There is the possibility of a waiver, but you can also just not pay them back. I would never tell anyone to pay volunatarily. The states will take money from tax refunds and you can thwart that by never overwithholding, and that just leaves the state taking the money from a future UI claim and there's the chance there is no future claim leaving them no way to get any money from you.

If enough time goes by, you might discharge the overpayment in a bankruptcy, or the state will write it off, and you'll have successfully not paid back money that you owed, but because of the way the system works, you got away with it. They won't take you to court, get a judgment, report it on your credit report, garnish your wages, or try to put you in jail.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:13 PM

Just read the case cited in the second to last paragraph of the letter on which NYDOL bases its request for a reversal. Totally wrong interpretation.
Quote:
Accordingly, under the circumstances of this case, claimant's conduct did not rise to the level of disqualifying misconduct.

Ordered that the decision is reversed,

MATTER OF CLUM | Leagle.com
In Clum, there was:

Denial
ALJ Overturns Denial - grants benefits
Appeal Board Reversed ALJ - denies benefits
Appeal Board reconsidered and Adhered (Upheld) - denial of benefits
Appellate Division of the SC of NY - reversed Appeal Board and granted benefits

In actuality, the cite SUPPORTS the original decision of the ALJ - and grants claimant his benefits. Of course, civil litigation outside NYDOL was necessary.

OP, your attorney better read all those cases cited. Unless I'm misreading something, NY just shot itself in the foot with Clum. It might behoove him/you to write to the Appeal Board with a counterargument - assuming the Board would entertain such at this time.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-20-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Just read the case cited in the second to last paragraph of the letter on which NYDOL bases its request for a reversal. Totally wrong interpretation. In Clum, there was:

Denial
ALJ Overturns Denial - grants benefits
Appeal Board Reversed ALJ - dq's claimant
Appellate Division of the SC of NY - reversed Appeal Board and granted benefits

In actuality, the cite SUPPORTS the original decision of the ALJ - and grants claimant his benefits. Of course, civil litigation outside NYDOL was necessary.

OP, your attorney better read all those cases cited. Unless I'm misreading something, NY just shot itself in the foot with Clum. It might behoove him/you to write to the Appeal Board with a counterargument - assuming the Board would entertain such at this time.

So does the end where it says "and we reverse" mean the Appeal Board's decision was reversed? If so, then yes you are right. This was the wrong case for them to be using as precedence. I suppose that I or my attorney would write the counterargument once I get notification that this appeal is actually proceeding?

Old 05-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Pertinent language:
Quote:
The Unemployment Insurance Appeal Board reversed the ALJ's decision and denied claimant benefits and, upon reconsideration, adhered to that ruling.

Claimant appeals, and we reverse.

Accordingly, under the circumstances of this case, claimant's conduct did not rise to the level of disqualifying misconduct.

Ordered that the decision is reversed,
From the foregoing Appeals Board reversed ALJ - i.e., denied benefits, reconsidered a second time and upheld the denial of benefits; after which claimant went to civil court (NYSC) and Appeal Board was reversed (lost) and claimant was granted benefits.

A long slog, but you might need to do this.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:19 PM

I received a letter from the appeal board today and they are sustaining the original decision to deny me benefits. What should I do now?

I actually have to laugh at the timing of it lol. I got the letter about the appeal to the board about 2 months ago and have been wondering when I would hear something. Now I get this letter about 30 mins before I leave to go out of town for 2 weeks.

Last edited by MrBoss; 07-13-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoss View Post
I received a letter from the appeal board today and they are sustaining the original decision to deny me benefits. What should I do now?
Talk to your attorney. If there are no further appeal avenues within the NYDOL, then you may need to file a civil case in the Appellate Division of the SC of NY, per that precedent cited above.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
No, you have to type in the EXACT words please. They wouldn't normally say sustain.

You were denied.

Then approved.

If they sustained, then they most like sustained the LAST decision which mean you get benefits. More likely though they work in terms of "affirm," and "reverse."

Old 07-13-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
No, you have to type in the EXACT words please. They wouldn't normally say sustain.

You were denied.

Then approved.

If they sustained, then they most like sustained the LAST decision which mean you get benefits. More likely though they work in terms of "affirm," and "reverse."
I can't type the exact working right now because I'm heading out of town, but if I read correctly, they said something along the lines of the original decision is sustained and that I'm denied benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment