Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 AM

12 posts, read 10,738 times

Advertisements

ok so what if they say, "did you ask why you were fired?" and I just tell the interviewer no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 12:53 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
I'd say, "yeah, right. I already felt bad enough getting fired, and you think I should give them the opportunity to twist the knife," or you can say, "no." When it comes to UI, it's best to have an idea why you were fired, but to not really know. Just making things easier if you get a denial and then have to appeal. In the end, it's about getting benefits, the knowing, not knowing, the whys, just don't mean anything. It's the weekly check that counts.

True story: My friend was fired, and his employer gave him an 8-page letter of all the reasons why. He only told UI that he was fired, provided no reason, didn't send in the letter, didn't answer the questionnaire that UI sent him, and dodged the interviewer's call. While it took longer than it should have, he was approved for UI. The reason was because nothing came from him to establish any sort of misconduct, and either the employer didn't respond, only said he was fired with no reason give, or they submitted the 8-page letter and the UI person stopped reading part way through because it was too long. In the letter at the bottom of page 2 and the top of page 3 were some things that did sound like misconduct such as coming in late, leaving earlier, and taking too long of a lunch break.

Trust me on this, when you're fired the odds of getting UI are substantially in your favor if you just follow the process and let the party responsible for meeting the burden attempt to do their job and not you trying to do it for them or spin things to your favor. Now is not the time in the process for that.

Last edited by Chyvan; 05-19-2015 at 01:32 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 11:47 PM

Hey guys so it looks like VA unemployment got approved. The rep was super cool, she just asked me if I have been doing best of my ability and I said yes, then she said your employer did not write you as misconduct and keep filing weekly for benefits.

So my questions is now, I have about $1800 left for VA benefits and once that runs out, what are my options?

I earned total $7600 after tax in CA in past 5 months. I looked at the chart for alternative base wage, it only comes out about $150 a week. If I ask for combined wage, how does that work? How do they calculate combined wages? In VA, I made about 37,000 a year before tax and I worked about a year.

Is it possible to extend the Unemployment benefits in VA after all the benefits run out? so I would still get $270 (VA) a week?

whats the best route to get maximize unemployment benefits?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizou312 View Post
So my questions is now, I have about $1800 left for VA benefits and once that runs out, what are my options?
Just depends on what you want, and when your claim EXPIRES, what your VA lag wages are, and just a host of things.

Quote:
I earned total $7600 after tax in CA in past 5 months. I looked at the chart for alternative base wage, it only comes out about $150 a week. If I ask for combined wage, how does that work? How do they calculate combined wages? In VA, I made about 37,000 a year before tax and I worked about a year.
This really isn't helpful. It's earnings by quarter by state, not these lump sum numbers. Also, you don't get to decide if you get an ABP claim or not. If the earnings Oct - Dec 14 in CA qualify you for $60/wk for 13 weeks, then you have to take a standard base period. Alternate is only available when you get NO benefit, not so that you can get the best benefit.

Jan - Mar 15
Oct - Dec 14
Jul - Sep 14
Apr - Jun 14
Jan - Mar 14

That is how you want to break them down.

In regards to the lag earnings for VA, it is the unused quarters that you want to list. If the wages were used don't list them.

Example: I stopped work on Dec 26 2010. I worked steady for 13 years. May base period was July 1 09 to June 30 10. Those were the used wages. That left me Jul 1 10 to Dec 10, nearly to full quarters of wages there were unused and could have been made into a UI claim had I just earned $2,400 between Dec 26 10 and Dec 26 11.

What we're trying to see is what is best for you. Getting a 2nd VA claim at the expiration, and a subsequent CA claim when you exhaust the new VA claim, or just going for a CA combined claim.

Quote:
Is it possible to extend the Unemployment benefits in VA after all the benefits run out? so I would still get $270 (VA) a week?
No. There haven't been extensions since Dec 2013.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 AM

Hmm. Okay so if I only worked about 1 year in VA from Oct 2013 - Sep 2014, they used only one quarter of that one year period that I worked for my UI claim that I'm getting now? Or they use the whole year for the UI benefits? If so, I wouldn't have any unused wages.

I definitely earned enough in CA during Oct 14 - Dec 14 to get the standard claim, I guess thats not good huh since the weekly benefit will be very low. I think I earned about $3,000 that quarter.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Hmm. Okay so if I only worked about 1 year in VA from Oct 2013 - Sep 2014, they used only one quarter of that one year period that I worked for my UI claim that I'm getting now? Or they use the whole year for the UI benefits? If so, I wouldn't have any unused wages.
No, they only use the wages they are allowed to use, and it looks into the past. Just because you only worked a year, doesn't mean that used the whole year. They may have also used wages if you worked in another state prior to moving to VA, and you just didn't know it because you weren't thinking in terms of what is the smartest thing to do when I go apply for UI.

VA sent you a letter telling you exactly how your benefits were calculated and the wages that were used. We're not mind readers. Did you apply in Sept 2014 for the VA claim or are you just giving an example?

Doing rough calculations on the inexact information you are providing, I think you applied around August 2014, had a waiting week and collected for 19 weeks, then worked for 5 months, and that gets us to now. I think that you have 7 weeks of benefits, and that will get you to the middle of July.

Then you have to say to yourself, can you wait from the middle of July to sometime in August to start collecting again. If the answer is a flat out NO, then you need to just go for the combined CA/VA claim, but it's still a guess as to whether it's the right thing to do because you don't know for a fact if you have any VA wages in the right quarters and combinations to do you any good.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 AM

Quote:
The rep was super cool, she just asked me if I have been doing best of my ability and I said yes, then she said your employer did not write you as misconduct and keep filing weekly for benefits.
I'll comment on this. Your rep wasn't "super cool." A super cool rep after the employer said nothing that sounded like misconduct, would have paid your benefits, and wouldn't have bothered to call you. Had you said anything that sounded like you could have tried a little harder, I can guarantee that she would have had no trouble denying you based on what came out of your own mouth even though the employer didn't care enough to do their own dirty work.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 AM

Okay, so I applied in Aug of 2014. I've only worked 1 year after graduating college, during college I didn't really work other than at a coffee shop for couple months. So I worked from Oct 2013 - Sep 2014, my salary was 37,000 a year before tax.

Then I moved to CA in Sept of 2014 right after I got laid off and filed for unemployment. Collected the weekly benefits until end of Oct 2014. Worked in CA end of Oct 2014 to end of March 2015.

I think I only collected the weekly benefits 4 - 5 times before I went back to work again in Oct 2014.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:56 PM

So I called Virginia unemployment today, and she told me I had 3 quarters of unused earnings. However, she said I can't file for extension or anything like that until Sept 2015, because thats when my unemployment ends although I exhausted my earnings before that date.

She said my only option is to do combined wages claim from CA and VA.

How much combined wages earnings will I get weekly? Is there a table to calculate this?

Old 05-20-2015, 03:01 PM

It's a bit of a blackhole, but since you've deterimined that you can't wait until September, just apply in CA when you draw your last check, and you'll know soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment