Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 34,159 times

Advertisements

Guys,

My claim in CA is about to expire, but during my claim I worked as an independent contractor (I reported this to EDD) and made over 1,300 dollars during this time. Can I get an emergency extension on my claim? Since I made over the threshold? Is there a way for me to get more money?

Last edited by Bran8821; 09-06-2015 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 01:23 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Do you have one or two quarters in your LAG to provide the benefit basis for a new claim?

Generally, IC/1099 work is not "covered work" for UI purposes. That said, we've had some people get a new claim based on their LAG from the earlier claim because they showed a connection to the labor market during their benefit year through 1099 work. Others were refused because earnings were not considered "bona fide." ALJ's differ in how they view "bona fide."

You can try for a new claim. You will be denied and need to appeal. You may or may not win on appeal, depending on the ALJ:

This poster succeeded. Read this thread carefully:

I'm filing my second year of unemployment and it seems they are using my alternate base period instead of my standard!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 34,159 times
My work is 1099 work. I have reported this income to EDD while I received benefits. Does this mean that I will be able to open a new claim and get more benefits? I'm confused by LAG, not sure what that means.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:02 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran8821 View Post
My work is 1099 work. I have reported this income to EDD while I received benefits. Does this mean that I will be able to open a new claim and get more benefits? I'm confused by LAG, not sure what that means.
You already have your answer - it is NO - unless you can get EDD to recognize the wages as bona fide. For that you need to appeal.

The 1099 earnings will NOT count to your benefit but may allow a new claim based on LAG from the earlier claim.

LAG is unused earnings from your earlier employer - defined as:
Quote:
The "lag period" is the space of time between the end of the base period of the claim and the effective date of the claim itself.

Miscellaneous MI 15 - Monetary Determinations
Read the thread I linked - in its entirety - and reread my earlier post.

Whether or not you get a new claim will depend on the ALJ. As you can do is try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment