Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:13 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times

Advertisements

I resigned from job in December on good terms, had a new position ready for start in January. After working a month ~ new job a nightmare, i.e. understaffed, working me 50+ hours a week (Salary) and poor training. Saw my job was posted on jobs indeed three days ago. Brought up to mgr who claimed it was a reoccurring post ~ ha! If I get let go, can I claim UE? (worked for previous employer April to December 2015 & was employed for two years continuously prior). Please advise. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 05:15 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
It's touchy. Since you quit your prior job, and have only been on the new job barely a month, it could be a problem for getting UI.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:04 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I resigned from job in December on good terms, had a new position ready for start in January. After working a month ~ new job a nightmare, i.e. understaffed, working me 50+ hours a week (Salary) and poor training. Saw my job was posted on jobs indeed three days ago. Brought up to mgr who claimed it was a reoccurring post ~ ha! If I get let go, can I claim UE? (worked for previous employer April to December 2015 & was employed for two years continuously prior). Please advise. thank you
What Chyvan means is in certain states you need to earn a certain amount of money after the quit before before your state will pay. Usually, the $$ is 5, 8, or 10 times your weekly unemployment benefit. In FL, the max benefit is so low, max you would need to earn would be $2,750. If you've been there six weeks, chances are you've done that.

Hang on as long as you can to build up earnings and wait to be let go.

Too bad you're in FL - one of the lowest benefits in the US and only for about 14 weeks. But, it sounds like your employable. Hopefully, you won't be unemployed long.

Do not quit.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:16 AM

Update:

I worked my "normal" schedule this past Thursday (7a-4p), Friday (1-11:45p), Sat (3p-11p), Sun (3p-11p) and went home. Got call at midnight this morning that I had to go back in to do night audit ~ not even trained on this as job is so new (since Jan. 4th) went back in at 12:45a to 7a.m ~ no sleep & then my mgr got on me about how I left early ~ like 8/9 Friday night because someone said I did...I looked at my mgr & said,"bull****" ~ I worked till the end of my shift & longer ~ he just looked at me like ~ really ~ I have the text messages to my boyfriend to prove it & showed him. Then he got on my case as to how I am responsible to be there no matter how many hours (hotel)...this was just a few hours ago. He went off on how he works 50 hours in 3 days (not my problem ~ he signed up to be general manager). He asked me if it was fair that he hasn't had a day off in a month...again, not my problem. He has been without a night auditor since when I started. His responsibility is to hire someone to do the overnights ~ not mine (front office mgr).

As I was leaving this morning at 7 a.m. and the 7 a.m. guest service agent came in ~ he said "where are you going? we have a 9 a.m. rev phone conference" I said, "I'm going to get some coffee & left.

I have averaged 50 hour weeks in the past month of the job...he went into how much he has had to work, blah blah blah...when I decided to call in sick last Tuesday at 7 a.m. ~ he had called me & told me to get the f**ck in because the breakfast girl called in sick for the second day in a row ~ swearing at me turned my stomach & I called to say I was sick & would not be in. Took the next day off as well because Wed. is my one day off. Next day, my job was on job board. Before I go & email my resignation letter & get really hot headed (and I am most chill person ever) any thoughts or suggestions on what to say?

I know my C-D people can give some opinions...

p.s. I am not returning to this job ~ don't need them as a reference ~ just want to say the right thing when I email my resignation this morning.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
just want to say the right thing when I email my resignation this morning.
If you send a letter of resignation, you won't get your UI under these circumstances.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
If you send a letter of resignation, you won't get your UI under these circumstances.
and therefore I haven't.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
The best thing to do is go apply for it. Let them process your claim and let you know. A friend of mine was fired from a job, was on unemployment for a long time and then got a job for three months full-time. He thought that was it, he was out of benefits, but I recommended to apply anyway and see what can be done. He got more benefits, they restarted a claim or some such language about it I don't recall. If the conditions at work became unacceptable, tell them that was the reason you left. But go ahead and let them process the claim and see where it lands.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM

Thank you for your input Chyvan & Eastcoastguyz & Ariedne22.

48+ hours after I walked out Monday morning & no contact from the nightmare. I will not resign but I will apply for the UE due to previous employment from 2015/2016.

I will also refrain from any letter of resignation which I believe includes returning the manager office key?

Thank you all again very much.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I will also refrain from any letter of resignation which I believe includes returning the manager office key?
This is a depends. If the employer writes something like "Since you quit, will you please return the key," you might want to hold off, but if they write, "We want our key back," that can be twisted into suggesting that you were fired (and that is what you want because UI in a discharge is decidedly more in favor) then go ahead and give them back that key.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 AM

Wow ~ that's crazy ~ the old silence is golden comes to mind. All quiet in Sarasota...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment