Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 AM

6 posts, read 53,186 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's the story

l this point I think I missed one day of work and it was excused. In those 2 months I unfortunately missed 3 or 4 days of work during my last 2 months. I had never been wrote or for anything. Always followed company policy regarding call of producers. Then I come go to work on that day, and the New Assistant manager was walking out the door as I was walking in. She stopped me outside and told me that the GM asked her to let me know that I was being let go for excessive call offs. I asked "So your telling me I'm fired, no warning or discussion?" She said yes you are fired. I walked away.

Filed unemployment, received a letter a week later telling a was qualified for the listed amounts and explained how and when to certify. A letter comes the very next day telling me that a question has been raised regarding my eligibility for unemployment benefits 602b Misconduct.

I wasn't nervous until now. I figured since the company policy regarding these maters started with a verbal or write up, then with a final, that I had nothing to worry about. Now I'm reading about others stories about their employers fabricating lies.

I'm just a nervous wreck now` and haven't slept all night. I dont feel prepared at all for this. I have been doing my job searching and documenting it, but I'm worried that won't even matter.

What should I expect? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,058,740 times
What did you tell IDES was the reason for your discharge?

Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 AM

I went to my local office and they just directed me qa computer and I filled out the application my self. I only know for sure that I put Discharged/Fired.

I cant remember if there was a spot to explain in detail or not.

Loosing my mind for not preparing for this in advance. Have a stack of papers in front of me ive been printing out off the IDES website all morning. Along with my job search info and a print out off my application i did in the office that day. I managed to loose pages 2-3.

The last page says, If you were instructed during the application process to provide further document to IDES, please do so immediately.

I don't remember it ever asking for any thing else.

SO i keep printed out all this stuff just incise I need something for this phone call.

Missconduct Questionnaire - Claimant

What documents shouid Ihave ready. Reqally other then my job logs i dont have much. I dont even have paystubs for my last 2 checks. We can only print them in the store if your an active employee.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 AM

I was so happy a week after I applied I got my UI Letter telling me I Was going the get my unemployment. Then the next letter showed up.

First certification day was yesterday, did it online, called the phone number to check status today, and it says its Suspended.

I wont be able to pay my rent or bills by the time this does get sorted out, if I even do win.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khead2600 View Post
I only know for sure that I put Discharged/Fired.
This all by itself raises the issue that there might be misconduct and the reason for the interview.

If all you said was "fired," then you don't even need to take the call.

Quote:
I cant remember if there was a spot to explain in detail or not. I managed to loose pages 2-3.
However, since you don't remember, you might have put yourself in a situation where you're fighting your own words.

Sometimes your employer doesn't say anything as to the reason for you separation, and if you say, "I was fired because I missed 12 days over two weeks," you can be denied by what came out of your own mouth rather than anything the employer did.

Quote:
Have a stack of papers in front of me ive been printing out off the IDES website all morning. Along with my job search info
Probably a waste of time and paper. The call is about "misconduct" not your work search. The most important info, you don't have.

A "misconduct" interview call is to get information regarding the separation to disqualify you.

Missing work can be disqualifying. I recommend that you don't even take the call. The IDES people will contact your employer. If you say nothing bad about yourself (or don't take the call), and your employer does the same, you'll get benefits by default. If you already said something bad about yourself, and your employer didn't, you can still be disqualified, and vice versa.

There is no upside to taking the call. You'll either say things like, "I wasn't a good fit," "I wasn't learning the job fast enough," or "I wasn't fast enough," all those things are neutral as is not taking the call which risks you saying the wrong thing.

You can't control what the employer says so let them say what they want. The time to deal with that is when it's documented, and at the appeal hearing where it can be challenged. Right now, is not the time or place in the process.

Quote:
a week after I applied I got my UI Letter telling me I Was going the get my unemployment.
No you didn't. Read it slowly and carefully. You got a letter telling you how much you'll get IF you're approved on the separation issue.

As to needing the money, you'll just have to borrow or go for the other social services. While I'm not so sure that this is misconduct with you missing work, it's a pretty loaded issue that's going to need to be addressed on appeal if the issue is raised. It's going to be awhile before you get benefits.

Last edited by Chyvan; 05-17-2016 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 03:51 PM

That didn't not go anything like I thought it would. I'm not really sure what just happened.
It's not going to go in my favor, I could tell that before the referee even asked me his first questioned. He was rude from the start. He introduced himself real quick and then said "We need to do this fast, I don't have much time".

So he goes to ask me (and I'm using fake names here) "So, how did Marry tell you were fired, and did she give you a reason". (Marry wasn't even there, she had Barbbra tell me)

So i said to him,...Wait no, I never even seen Marry, she told Barbra to fire me. (So they already lied from the start) Then I tried to ask him before we went any further, if he could please tell me what they said about how and why I was fired. Then he got a little rude and told me that's not how this works. He asked the questions and makes the decision on it. Then he asked me to tell him again why I was fired. I started to tell him, and he cuts me off after one sentence.

Then tells me whats going to happen next is he's going to call a "3rd party" on behalf of my Employer, but it might not be until a few more days till he calls them. He'll then ask the 3rd party some question, and they will have 48 hours to get back to him with my Employers response.

WTF? Ok, So they already get 2 more days to prepare, then the 3rd party aka lawyer gets 2 more days to help them craft the proper response? How the hell is that fair? I understand I have right to legal representation and all, but why do they get 48 hours to answer he question? I told me before we even started I had to be quick and not take much time.

I already knew it was over at that point. I was biting my tongue really hard to not say what I wanted to this guy. Instead I asked if I could add something else in my defense, and he said not unless it's about why they told you were fired, which you already gave me your answer.

Then says hes not sure when he'll get a chance to call the 3rd party, but he most likely want need to call me back for any further questions, and that he will have 2 weeks to make his decision, and I will find out in the mail.

WOw is all I can say.

Whats all this non-sense about on the back of the letter they sent me about

Yours Rights as a claimant.

"Will have the opportunity to provide comments regarding my case", "Ask the representative to ask your employer to produce documents", and my personal favorite "after talking to my employer you'll be given the opportunity to provide additional information before a ruling is made"

He told me he doesn't have to call me back after talking to their side, unless he thinks he needs more information from me.

Almost forgot too, when I filled my application I had to list another employer on it, because of the quarters of the year I was still employed for both places.But with the job I Quit, and wasn't trying to actually get anything from them, but It was mentioned in the original letter that both employers were denying my claims. I guess the other job told them they fired me? I started to ask him about it because of how they labeled it that way? Told me it's not really relevant because he already made a decision on that before he called me.

Are they all like this?

I want to complain about this guy, but whats the point?

Old 05-17-2016, 04:16 PM

This is why I told you NOT to take the call. It's to get you to make admissions so that then they don't have to call your employer at all.

If you say, "I didn't steal anything. I was going to pay for those cigarettes when my boyfriend picked me up after work with my purse," it's all over.

UI denials are best addressed at an appeal hearing rather than you trying to second guess and be proactive as to what your employer has said or written. By not taking the call, IDES is forced to go to your employer, their story is locked in, and then you can challenge it on appeal.

Sometimes you don't have to challenge anything. The employer thinks they did such a bang up job with the interviewer that they don't show to the hearing. The system doesn't work that way. They must prove you did something and what you did needs to rise to the level of misconduct. However, too many claimants admit to things, and there is nothing to prove anymore. Example: I was late but my kid was sick. Now the employer doesn't have to prove that you were late because you admitted to it. Now the claimant better be able to prove that their kid was so sick that it justified taking off work. Some judges don't care how sick your kid is. They think you should have gotten a babysitter or checked your kid into the hospital and gone to work.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,766 times
Default 602a Unemployment Phone Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
What did you tell IDES was the reason for your discharge?
Hi I Have A Phone Interview Friday and I Put On My Application That I Was Laid Off But Some How They Contacted My Job And My Job Said I Was Discharged Wat Should I Do?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:07 PM

Do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment