Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 09:35 PM

8 posts, read 4,493 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

I'm was terminated in early March, and I have the dreaded "non monetary interview" this upcoming Wednesday. I have read through many of the threads here and I believe I am as well prepared as I can be.

I'm actually more concerned about another issue. I accepted a position with another company, and i ended up working 10 hours after two shifts. Ultimately I decided that job was not for me and I resigned the next day. I told the owner to not worry about paying me because in felt bad for wasting his time. My question is the following:

1. By accepting this new job and then quitting, did I just DQ myself from receiving any benifits past the days I worked there? (I've read that if you leave work voluntarily you are not eligible to collect benifits.)

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYM17WSC View Post
1. By accepting this new job and then quitting, did I just DQ myself from receiving any benifits past the days I worked there? (I've read that if you leave work voluntarily you are not eligible to collect benifits.)
It's a very high probability. NJ has been known to treat a short time on the job as a suitability issue rather than a quit. If you can articulate just what was wrong with the job, you just might get a pass and keep your benefits, but you better tell your story correctly.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 4,493 times
Thanks for the quick response. I do have some follow up questions.

1. If a paycheck is never issued (as I told the owner to not pay me) does the state have any documentation proving I ever worked there?

2. If for some reason I never see any unemployment benifits my wife doesn't have a salary high enough to pay for our bills past April. My current weekly benifit rate is 675, partial benifit rate is 810. If I were to take a job that pays 400 a week, would unemployment then give me 410 a week?

Old 04-09-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
1. If a paycheck is never issued (as I told the owner to not pay me) does the state have any documentation proving I ever worked there?
Google "new hire database." There's a really good chance the employer reported your start of work. Not being paid doesn't undo what you did. Even if you worked, and the employer didn't pay you, that's your problem. If you want the money, you have to collect. You might find the employer writes you a check so that you won't be able to say, "I quit because they didn't pay me."

Quote:
2. If for some reason I never see any unemployment benifits my wife doesn't have a salary high enough to pay for our bills past April. My current weekly benifit rate is 675, partial benifit rate is 810. If I were to take a job that pays 400 a week, would unemployment then give me 410 a week?
No. Quitting the job was a foolish thing to do, and maybe even applying for it, interviewing for it, and accepting it. You'd have to work a $400/week job for 8 weeks, and earn 10 times $675 before you became eligible again, and 8 x 400 is only 3200. You'd have to work for 16 weeks to get your partial UI check.

You need to pray that you get this adjudicated as a suitability issue. There's more to work with.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 AM

31 posts, read 30,320 times
Okay, I lost my thread here but my non monetary interview is today at 2:20ish.

I've been told I voluntarily quit my job. So my question is, should I bring up my hour deduction? And also, that many boss said, "he'd like to see me back in the spring"?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooditapplah View Post
So my question is, should I bring up my hour deduction?
Carefully. You don't want the interviewer to think that you quit because your hours were being reduced. You want the interviewer to think that your hours were being reduced because the season was ending and then you were "laid off."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooditapplah View Post
And also, that many boss said, "he'd like to see me back in the spring"
No. That sentence was part of an email that mentioned your "situation" in the first sentence, and you don't want to go there because your "situation" is disqualifying. If the order in the email were reversed, you might have truncated the sentence that would cause you trouble, but if the employer submits his copy, you'd then look like a liar, and your credibility would be toast.

Do what you can with what you have to tell the story you need to tell.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 AM

31 posts, read 30,320 times
Thanks chyvan. I'm freaking out! Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment