Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,475 times

Advertisements

I started a new job in Feb 2017. I was let go on May 26th. I filed my claim on May 30th. They are using my waged from the Jan, Feb, March quarter. It's a very small amount because I hadn't started earning commission yet. I made the most of my money there in April and May. Can I cancel my claim and restart it July 1st to use the April, May, June quarter? Also, I already certified for benefits for this smaller amount. I have a phone interview scheduled to make sure I qualify. Is there any chance they will pay me for the weeks I certified before my phone interview? I read that if I receive any payment I cannot cancel my claim. Should I try to cancel my claim now or am I safe to wait until my phone interview and explain the situation to them? Will I be able to use april, may, June if I wait and file July 1st?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:19 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmfns View Post
I started a new job in Feb 2017. I was let go on May 26th. I filed my claim on May 30th. They are using my waged from the Jan, Feb, March quarter. It's a very small amount because I hadn't started earning commission yet. I made the most of my money there in April and May. Can I cancel my claim and restart it July 1st to use the April, May, June quarter? Also, I already certified for benefits for this smaller amount. I have a phone interview scheduled to make sure I qualify. Is there any chance they will pay me for the weeks I certified before my phone interview? I read that if I receive any payment I cannot cancel my claim. Should I try to cancel my claim now or am I safe to wait until my phone interview and explain the situation to them? Will I be able to use april, may, June if I wait and file July 1st?
Yes, you are paid retro to the week you have filed.

No, you shouldn't cancel your claim. CA uses the first base period which qualifies you, not the base period which provides the best benefit. Therefore, CA will not use the earnings through 6/30/2017 (its alternate base period) if you file in July, if earnings through 3/31/2017 (standard base period) qualify you. Your current claim uses the ABP applicable to your current filing. Those same earnings will appear in your standard base period if you file in July 2. So, no, withdrawing and refiling won't help you.

All that said, just certifying for the weeks - whether or not paid - will prevent CA from allowing you to withdraw and refile.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:24 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
However, if you have a lot of money in the bank, just know you're not going to find a job, don't think you'll end up bedridden for a year, AND it really increases your weekly benefit or weeks of benefits, you could still cancel and wait until Oct 1, but when you really analyze things, you might find it's not worth the wait, potential risk, and overall gain.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,475 times
I called them and they said that I can cancel the claim and restart it on July 2nd and that I would then be able to use the money made in April, May, June. I hope that they are right because it is the opposite of what you are saying here.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:51 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
Quote:
I called them and they said that I can cancel the claim and restart it on July 2nd and that I would then be able to use the money made in April, May, June. I hope that they are right because it is the opposite of what you are saying here.
April, May, June of 2017?

If they told you that, they lied. Never believe a UI worker without double verifying for yourself.

A claim filed July 2 uses wages Apr 1, 2016 to Mar 30, 2017.

Look at the base period calendar:

Base Period

An alternate base period won't help you. That's only available when you won't get a benefit at all, not when you'll get something no matter how small.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:05 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
If you were qualified on 3/31 wages filing before July, CA has used its alternate base period. After July 2nd, CA MUST - repeat MUST - first try to qualify you under its standard base period - which at that time will be quarter ending 3/31.

CA legally CANNOT use a base period through 6/30 if you FIRST qualify using 3/31.

EDD workers often are not capable of considering the nuances of these base periods, or they are just outright lying.

Either way, nothing will change.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:48 PM

17 posts, read 41,592 times
CMFNS - were you able to cancel and start new claim

Adrianne22, is this true? that if you certify on a $0 claim, you can't withdraw and refile? I got my $0 award letter AFTER i certified and like an idiot I filed in early april which made my claim dates for a period of no income.

If not true, can I cancel and immediately refile?

All that said, just certifying for the weeks - whether or not paid - will prevent CA from allowing you to withdraw and refile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment