Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:16 PM

38 posts, read 69,722 times

Advertisements

For existing CA UI claimants, what is the best day to file the new claim? 3 days, within 2 weeks, or some other number of days before?

I have seen posts that suggest filing a new claim 3 days before the end of the current benefit year. According to a July 2015 EDD Report to Legislature at page 11:
Increased the prompt payment of benefits on transitional claims by 21 percent. An established UI claim is valid for one benefit year (52 weeks). To qualify for a new UI claim, the claimant must submit an application after the prior UI claim ends and qualify for the new benefit year. Many seasonal or intermittent workers qualify for back-to-back benefit year claims. In March 2015, the EDD revised existing policy to allow the filing of UI claims in the last two weeks of a prior claim when the claimant is already in continued certification status.

The result is the timely filing of UI claims, thereby increasing the percentage of first payments paid promptly on the new claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:23 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,991,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby4 View Post
EDD revised existing policy to allow the filing of UI claims in the last two weeks of a prior claim
Based on the above, we don't know anymore.

In the past, the letters used to say that you could file "5 days before the claim expired." Those that applied 5 and 4 days before, would then get time wasting letters that they applied too early, and then would lose out on the no waiting week perk because they never transitioned to a new claim because, you know, they applied too early like the letter said they could. By the time they received the "invalid claim too early" letters, it was too late to do anything about it. Those that applied 3, two, and 1 day before expiration never had to deal with this issue, and everything worked exactly like it was supposed to.

It probably all has to do with UI speak. 5 days before can have more than one meaning depending on how you count days. For example, I bought something with a 14-day return policy, and I bought it on a Sunday and returned it two Sundays later, and I was told I was a day late because the clerk was putting her finger on the day of purchase and saying, "one," instead of going to the next day and saying, "one."

Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 PM

13,108 posts, read 20,844,908 times
There is also different procedures for those who qualify for a second year claim and have exhausted their current benefits (money ran out before time) and can no longer do a weekly claim and another for those who have not yet exhausted their benefits (time is running out but money still remains) and are currently claiming.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 AM

So, is it best to apply for the new benefit year 3 days before the end of old benefit year?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:09 AM

Those that apply no more than 3 days before never say they have trouble. However, it could be that those apply 4 or more days before don't have a problem anymore either, but because they don't have trouble, they have no reason to come on the internet and say otherwise. We had a poster that applied the day of expiration (by shear luck because she came here and I told here not to wait), and she ended up being very thankful not to endure the waiting week.

The point is that it just doesn't seem to matter if it's 3, 2, 1 or the day of expiration. Those people all get the desired outcome: no waiting week on the 2nd-year claim.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:11 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,353,148 times
Quote:
For existing CA UI claimants, what is the best day to file the new claim? 3 days, within 2 weeks, or some other number of days before?

I have seen posts that suggest filing a new claim 3 days before the end of the current benefit year. According to a July 2015 EDD Report to Legislature at page 11:
Increased the prompt payment of benefits on transitional claims by 21 percent. An established UI claim is valid for one benefit year (52 weeks). To qualify for a new UI claim, the claimant must submit an application after the prior UI claim ends and qualify for the new benefit year. Many seasonal or intermittent workers qualify for back-to-back benefit year claims. In March 2015, the EDD revised existing policy to allow the filing of UI claims in the last two weeks of a prior claim when the claimant is already in continued certification status.

The result is the timely filing of UI claims, thereby increasing the percentage of first payments paid promptly on the new claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There is also different procedures for those who qualify for a second year claim and have exhausted their current benefits (money ran out before time) and can no longer do a weekly claim and another for those who have not yet exhausted their benefits (time is running out but money still remains) and are currently claiming.
Correct.

The language OP quotes refers to "those who have not yet exhausted their benefits" - i.e., those in continued certification status.

For those whose benefits have been exhausted and are now approaching benefit year expiration, best to stick with the two-three days before expiration.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:24 PM

I called EDD to ask when I could apply and the new benefit amount.

The rep said she could take my application over the phone and told me the new weekly benefit amount and the highest quarter earnings. The amount was much lower than I was paid, so I declined and called back a couple days later to request the wage amount for each of the base quarters.

The second rep told me to go online or call back to apply 1-5 days before the end of my benefit year, and gave me the wages for each of the base quarters. Plus, the employer reported some wages in the quarter after I was laid off, rather than the highest quarter (when I was laid off), making the weekly benefit amount more than $150 lower. The EDD rep said I need to file the new claim before requesting a wage investigation.

First, based on earlier posts, it seems I should wait until 3 days before the end of the benefit year, right?

Second, what is the advice on disputing misstated wages. The first quarter of the base period is the highest quarter and is greater than $1,300. The wages in the second quarter belong in the first quarter.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I should wait until 3 days before the end of the benefit year, right?
This I can say with certainty is the best thing to do.

Quote:
Second, what is the advice on disputing misstated wages. The first quarter of the base period is the highest quarter and is greater than $1,300. The wages in the second quarter belong in the first quarter.
Is this the same thing where the employer paid you early, and reported late? You just do the same thing you did before, but if the date on the check is the same date you got paid, there really is no hope. That's how wage reporting works: the date on the check controls.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:54 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,353,148 times
Quote:
Why do they belong in the first quarter? Were those wages paid on 3/31??

In the real world, your quarters for unemployment benefit purposes are based on when the wages were paid - not earned. For example: you may have worked the last week in March, but not have been paid for it until April 7th or 14th. Therefore, those wages fall in the April quarter. Over an 12-month period, it equalizes. Your earlier claim base year would have reflected this.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
This I can say with certainty is the best thing to do.

Is this the same thing where the employer paid you early, and reported late? You just do the same thing you did before, but if the date on the check is the same date you got paid, there really is no hope. That's how wage reporting works: the date on the check controls.
It is similar. On June 29, the employer gave me a "Salary Advance" paper check dated June 29 that I deposited in my bank account after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment