Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 394 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My brother filed for unemployment that started on May 2017. After 2 months, he found a job through an agency. However, 2 week after he was hired, a miscommunication between the third party employer and my brother occurred, which I believe it was not my brothers mistake. He continously filed weekly claim since it was not full time job but when he was fired, he did not report that he stopped working with the company and still fieled for weekly claim. Is he committing fraud? If so, we want to correct it right away but need your opinion about it. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:53 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
It's debatable. Depending on timing, he may not have had the chance to say "not working anymore." However, the UI people will know. He went from reporting part-time earnings to zero. They know something is up, and will be getting in touch with him. There is no need to worry.

Now, for the important stuff:

Did he contact the agency to ask for another assignment?

Can he prove the contact?

When it comes to UI, he needs to keep his mouth shut about what happened at the client. If he gets denied over the firing, the likelihood of the client appearing at a UI hearing is zero which leaves his "nothing happened" version against the temp agency's hearsay case. There is no reason for your brother to say anything more than "fired," and he may not even have to do that. He can be fired from the client (or the assignment ended) and still be an employee of the agency and eligible for placement at another assignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment