U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 15,539 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, just looking for some clarification with my UI benefits.

This isn't my first go with UI, this is actually the 3rd time I've applied in my life (other 2 times was approved). My employer told me I could file unemployment because I was laid off blah blah blah and I filed on 11/06/17.

Went down to the office to try to see if I could speed things up last week on the 13th. Was told everything looked good on my end and that it would probably take the 21 days to be approved, if not sooner. Cool, that's fine. I continue to certify weekly like normal.

Now this is where things get weird;

I certified for the week of 11/18/17 on Sunday the 19th and was presented the message "Week ending 11/18/17 has been certified and will be processed the next working day."

So I'm thinking, awesome! My benefits have been approved and I will start getting paid now. One less thing to worry about. I go to check my mail and I still have no letter from the DOL about the benefits so I'm thinking it'll come any day now.

I get up this morning and at about 1:00pm I just want to check the status of the payment and it says,

"Week ending 11/18/17 Was not paid. Please report to your career center for assistance."

What the hell?? I am seriously dumbfounded as to what is going on. Is this some sort of error on the website or do I need to go back down to the office again? I thought once payments were processed in success, I was in the green light. The previous week I certified I got the "Was not paid" message and I expected that, but not this week especially after being told it was processed.

TLDR; Certification was being processed the next day and it turned into Was not paid.

Please give me some insight, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 11:34 AM

12,886 posts, read 19,179,925 times
Until it's determined that the reason for your separation allows you to collect benefits, you're not going to see a nickel. The 6th to the now is only 15 days. It would be a rare set of circumstances for a claim to get processed that fast. Just because you say that you were "laid off" doesn't make it true. Your employer has to be contacted.

Besides all the above, the message didn't say "processed," it said, "WILL be processed. . ," and after it was processed, it was put on hold because it hasn't been decided if you're actually eligible to receive a payment yet.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Until it's determined that the reason for your separation allows you to collect benefits, you're not going to see a nickel. The 6th to the now is only 15 days. It would be a rare set of circumstances for a claim to get processed that fast. Just because you say that you were "laid off" doesn't make it true. Your employer has to be contacted.

Besides all the above, the message didn't say "processed," it said, "WILL be processed. . ," and after it was processed, it was put on hold because it hasn't been decided if you're actually eligible to receive a payment yet.
So by Next monday, the 27th, I will have the final decision? The supervisor at the office told me the 21st I'd have my decision. She obviously told me wrong or was confused herself.

Also have messages from my boss telling me I'm laid off due to downsizing and to go file unemployment, which I showed the supervisor.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:46 PM

9,190 posts, read 11,670,796 times
Are there any additional requirements to get paid benefits beyond just applying and certifying? In some states, you are required to go in and show proof of legal status. Others make you sign up with reemployment services before being paid. And in certain states, they just are just making it up in hopes you do something wrong so they don't have to pay you. Georgia is one of those states that promises businesses low unemployment taxes even though taxes should be based on the experience rating of that company's unemployment history. So, they are always hovering on unemployment bankruptcy and just throw junk out to trip up claimants. Odds are they just want you to show up at a GDL Work Center. Make sure you bring your 2798 with you.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Are there any additional requirements to get paid benefits beyond just applying and certifying? In some states, you are required to go in and show proof of legal status. Others make you sign up with reemployment services before being paid. And in certain states, they just are just making it up in hopes you do something wrong so they don't have to pay you. Georgia is one of those states that promises businesses low unemployment taxes even though taxes should be based on the experience rating of that company's unemployment history. So, they are always hovering on unemployment bankruptcy and just throw junk out to trip up claimants. Odds are they just want you to show up at a GDL Work Center. Make sure you bring your 2798 with you.
We are required to have an account and resume on Employgeorgia.com. I am registered and have my resume fully updated.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:15 PM

Sounds like the only thing holding up your benefits is a response confirming your lay off from the employer. Which isn't a big deal. It's great when the employer immediately replies with "lay off," but if they wait long enough saying nothing, eventually a default decision is made in your favor. Just wait it out.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:21 PM

Ok so I have been approved!

But here's the kicker, I was also sent a notice of OVERPAYMENT. I have never received a letter once stating I was overpayed. I owe $1987 and that seems to me to be the full amount of what I claimed last year during my 3 months of unemployment. The letter states I need to pay back $111 a month, ok whatever. At this point, I'll sacrifice 100 bucks a month to get my money coming in. Will I still receive my unemployment? Did my former employer somehow appeal my benefits and now I am having to pay them all back?

Last edited by southernwisdom; 11-27-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 PM

Don't know. You need to look at the letters from last year to figure it out. It's probably too late for you to do anything about it now.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 PM

9,190 posts, read 11,670,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernwisdom View Post
Did my former employer somehow appeal my benefits and now I am having to pay them all back?
Who knows! You need to contact unemployment and find out the reason for the over-payment. There are many reasons you could be in this situation; some legitimate, other no so much. It could also be a mistake. But, only they can tell you how this occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or