U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM

77 posts, read 250,745 times
Default Getting a job that pays less than your unemployment

I went on an interview this morning for a part time job. If I take this job it will pay less than my unemployment. However, I look at it as a way to put something more on my resume, and look for a better paying job in the process. Will unemployment still allow me to receive any pay, even if I am only working 3 days a week, 4-5 hours a day?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 PM

146 posts, read 401,558 times
In most States having a part time job is the best thing for an unemployed person collecting benefits because it will give you something to do and allow you to have employment on your resume.

They will subtract from your benefit amount the amount you earned minus an allowance. For example, if your normal weekly unemployment insurance payment was $300 and you earned $150 you would get a check for $150 plus the allowable earnings allowed by State Unemployment rules. Most States allow you to earn from $25 to $75 without it being subtracted from your benefit.

In the end you can collect longer because less money is sent to you while working a part time or temporary job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerritt36 View Post
I went on an interview this morning for a part time job. If I take this job it will pay less than my unemployment. However, I look at it as a way to put something more on my resume, and look for a better paying job in the process. Will unemployment still allow me to receive any pay, even if I am only working 3 days a week, 4-5 hours a day?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 PM

266 posts, read 696,657 times
Personally, I would keep looking for something full time. The unemployment I receive is the equivalent of working full time for $6/hour. BUT the difference is that I have the free time to schedule interviews, make calls, and send out resumes. Those tasks become that much harder to do if you are working.

For me, that is the whole point of getting the money. It helps me to get by on my bills while allowing me the time to find something good.

Just my opinion!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,367,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
Personally, I would keep looking for something full time. The unemployment I receive is the equivalent of working full time for $6/hour. BUT the difference is that I have the free time to schedule interviews, make calls, and send out resumes. Those tasks become that much harder to do if you are working.

For me, that is the whole point of getting the money. It helps me to get by on my bills while allowing me the time to find something good.

Just my opinion!
I agree with this.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 AM

77 posts, read 250,745 times
Thanks for the advice. I'll just have to sit back and see what happens. I'm to the point where I'm getting sick of interviews and are about to take anything that comes my way. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I only worked for 3 days one week and 2 days the other through a temp agency. Even then when I lost the job I applied online telling them that I didn't work for a week and Unemployment sent me some paperwork in the mail to the employer to see if I was officially back to work. It seemed like they didn't believe me. When they ask are you back to being full-time, and your just part-time does that count?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,126,258 times
sounds like a good deal....

Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,590 times
Smile too low to take the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
In most States having a part time job is the best thing for an unemployed person collecting benefits because it will give you something to do and allow you to have employment on your resume.

They will subtract from your benefit amount the amount you earned minus an allowance. For example, if your normal weekly unemployment insurance payment was $300 and you earned $150 you would get a check for $150 plus the allowable earnings allowed by State Unemployment rules. Most States allow you to earn from $25 to $75 without it being subtracted from your benefit.

In the end you can collect longer because less money is sent to you while working a part time or temporary job.
I am looking at your statement above and wondering is that really true? I haven't collected unemployment as yet, but I am on the verge of getting one. Right now, I am thinking of taking a job who is just going to pay for my gas. But doing so, I will be updated with new skillset. I would like to make sure this is the truth before I make any decision. Actually this job pays 1% of my regular pay in the past. Do you think this will impact my potential to earn more in future?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM

13,621 posts, read 17,264,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousann View Post
I am looking at your statement above and wondering is that really true? I haven't collected unemployment as yet, but I am on the verge of getting one. Right now, I am thinking of taking a job who is just going to pay for my gas. But doing so, I will be updated with new skillset. I would like to make sure this is the truth before I make any decision. Actually this job pays 1% of my regular pay in the past. Do you think this will impact my potential to earn more in future?
First, you have responded to a five-year old post. That poster is no longer a member of CD.

Second, we now have federal extension benefits (EUC) which can continue for up to 47 weeks (depending on your state and current legislation) after you exhaust state benefits - you could potentially be eligible for up to 73 weeks' benefits. Working can seriously affect your ability to collect those federal benefits.

Third, if you are working 30-32 hours a week at a nonjob which pays essentially nothing, you are perceived by the DOLS to be working full-time and will not be able to collect any benefits at all - even if you earn nothing.

Fourth, if that nonjob doesn't work out and you need to quit, you may lose your benefits entirely, because that nonjob has promised you essentially no income, just training. So, you won't even have the excuse of reduced earnings to justify the quit. By taking that nonjob, you have identified yourself as willing to work for below minimum wage.

So, what state are you in?

What is your earnings history?

Read this thread for just one example of how working can cost you money - and this man was actually earning while he worked. We have many more such examples on this board:

www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/1828176-am-i-out-luck-owe-5000-a.html

Working when eligible for benefits can open quite a Pandora's box of unexpected perverse consequences.

While collecting benefits, you should be focusing in searching for full-time, decent paying work. Not just any old thing on the off chance it might pay off.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-02-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM

59 posts, read 64,228 times
"While collecting benefits, you should be focusing in searching for full-time, decent paying work. Not just any old thing on the off chance it might pay off."

Amen! And be careful - here in Florida they tell you nothing about part-time work except to report your earnings. Fine - until you happen to luck out (if it happens) and make more than you would make on unemployment for one week. In my case, my part-time job had training which gave me a 40 hour week and then in the first few weeks I also got some 36 hour weeks.

I reported all earnings, but found no deposit for the weeks I claimed AFTER my hours dropped back down to where I earned a benefit again. They just cut off my benefits to investigate. No warning and no advance notice.

So each time this happened, I had to wait a week or more to see benefits again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment