U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,765,290 times

Advertisements

Well, thanks to a few things, I am unemployed (again). I find myself trying not to sink into the pit of despondency again (last time it took me 6 months to get a job).

What tips or tricks or motivation tools do you use to keep sane and upbeat when out of work/looking for a job?

I think it would be helpful to share them and help each other keep positive even when STRESSED by looking for employment.

I walk my dog--A LOT!! Especially in the morning when she needs to have a nice walk and I need to focus on my day.

I also try to visualize positive things--like the RIGHT job. I try to remember all the BAD points of my last job so I don't 'regret' leaving.
I try NOT to argue with my spouse who is home ALL day because he works nights. (it's hard not to!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:58 AM

5,641 posts, read 17,316,834 times
I kept sane by joining unemployment groups which offered free counseling and interviewing tips, job leads, seminars, amongst other tips. Surround yourself with others like yourself and network to anyone who will listen. Print out cheap business cards on your home printer or there are online services (vistaprint) to hand out.

Please contact your local unemployment office, they may have contacts to networking groups like this.

Although the longer I was unemployed the more I was prone to anxiety attacks and other stress related problems, such as teeth grinding, sleeplessness, eczema, stomach pains, etc. My religion helped this, also - relaxion techniques such as meditation.

I finally applied for a minimum wage job - at least it was something to stretch out the unemployment year's worth of benefits ... but now I have a job lined up, although I do not have an official written offer - but have passed the bkgd check and should get that straightened out this week.

I get so mad when I hear people tell me - oh it must have been nice to have the summer off... NOT!! I put more hours and energy into my job search than I did at my old job. Networking, phone calls, letters, interviews, applying online, etc. Being unemployed is a giant PITA - and currently our state is the 3rd highest unemployment rate in the nation but the fall has brought some jobs and hiring in though.

I am hoping after the election and if a reasonable sensible bailout plan is passed things will start to turn around for the unemployed of the entire nation.

Good luck! Let us know how you are doing! We should request a unemployed forum here in the boards.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 AM

732 posts, read 3,835,510 times
Listen to music!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,648,534 times
I've been unemployed for a year next month (Oct). My wife is at work during the day, so I search for jobs, cook dinner and keep our apartment as clean as possible (vaccuming, doing dishes and laundry). I do get anxiety attacks at times when my wife is home, but we cope with my frustration. This is the first time that I've been out of a job for this long, I only hope I can explain the "why" question when asked at an interview about "length of time" out of a job!!
I've been out of work before, but it didn't take very long to find another job in my area of work. Years ago, employers didn't always ask for a college degree and/or certification like they do now......geshhhhhhh!!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,595,570 times
I picked up my hobby (quilting) while waiting for calls. I had a huge stash of fabric still, and lots of unfinished projects. I didn't have to buy anything new since I had a stock of things I needed. It made the time fly buy so I'm not dwelling on the fact I did not have a job. I was out of work for 6 months last year.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,765,290 times
Well, I went to the mailbox and got a rejection notice from the interview I went on last week. I knew it already (I was tracking the job online). I am not really upset. It seems like you have to really hustle to get a 30 plus hour a job! So many are part time!

I like the ideas you posted, guys. Let's keep them up for everyone.

I can't do too much clearing up in the day (my husband makes comments like "you are rushing around and make me feel guilty"). Like I said, he works nights so he is enjoying his 'free time' in the day.

By 2 pm I give it up and get back into Mom mode when my son comes home.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:00 PM

485 posts, read 1,661,132 times
Default Stay active in your field

I was unemployed for nine months during the first Bush Recession in 2001. There was just no jobs in my field in my town during that period. Most of the other people I knew who were out of work spent the time walking around feeling sorry for themselves and watching TV and not shaving.

During the nine months of unemployment, I spent at least four hours a day learning everything I could about my field of work. I took classes, I got a number of professional certifications in my field, I got certified as a expert in four different Microsoft Office Suite Packages, I learned how to type, I attended professional association meetings, and worked on my interview and public speaking skills. I reinvented myself.

While employers did not like the fact that I had been unemployed for so long, they did like all my professional development and how much I stayed active during the period.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:06 PM

625 posts, read 3,341,992 times
i don't think I am keeping sane. I have almost completely cut off friends. I work my fiancee's nerve every day because my mood has consistently gotten sour. I keep shopping on Oldnavy.com and other places so I have a ton of new clothes and shoes that I haven't worn yet so he has threatened to take away my checkcard.

I have become addicted again to buying gossip rags because who doesn't like to read about slutty, drunk, or trainwrecked celebs. I apply for tons of jobs everyday and it seems like they either take weeks to call you for an interview or their rate of pay is unlivable. Add on the fact that I graduated from college last year that is even more depressing. I have worked since graduating and earned about 30% more than I did without the degree so it has been beneficial (I know some people on here will state you don't need a degree but seriously the majority of jobs wont give your resume a first look without a degree)

But on a plus my mom has a daycare and I go visit and play with the adorable babies until they start to drive me nuts .

So to all my fellow jobhunters good luck and keep trying one of us has to find work

Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,655,306 times
Devote your down time to learn something new.
A new language is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, thanks to a few things, I am unemployed (again). I find myself trying not to sink into the pit of despondency again (last time it took me 6 months to get a job).

What tips or tricks or motivation tools do you use to keep sane and upbeat when out of work/looking for a job?

I think it would be helpful to share them and help each other keep positive even when STRESSED by looking for employment.

I walk my dog--A LOT!! Especially in the morning when she needs to have a nice walk and I need to focus on my day.

I also try to visualize positive things--like the RIGHT job. I try to remember all the BAD points of my last job so I don't 'regret' leaving.
I try NOT to argue with my spouse who is home ALL day because he works nights. (it's hard not to!)

Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM

5,641 posts, read 17,316,834 times
There are a lot of places that have online classes now, ask about this through your local community college. So you can answer you improved your skills when they ask you what you have done when unemployed. I took a web design class and learned two other computer programs in the last 5-1/2 months.

Or do tutorials online at microsoft's website (they require you to have the software of course).

And try to get at least a part time job if you are unemployed after six months still. Last time after 9/11 it took me a year and a half to get full time, so I did stuff on the side and worked temp assignments through staffing agencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or