U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM

25,169 posts, read 34,385,244 times

Advertisements

is it possible to collect unemployment checks if you are just going to college and being supported by family (not a dorm, an apartment)? As well as looking for full time jobs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,835,573 times
If you have the right amount of benefits accrued and have the right reason for no longer having your last job.. then yes. They (well at least not in my state) don't ask about where you live or who supports you or any of that.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:00 PM

what do you mean right amount of benefits? right reason for not having a job?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:18 PM

You have to have money in your benefit account and they usually have some formula where you have to have earned so much in the right "quarter". It will depend on how long you've worked and how much you've made and how long it's been since (if ever) you received unemployment in the past.

It's way too much math for me, but most states have an unemployment office website that explains that sort of thing.

Basically if you only had a job for a month or so and got fired or laid off and hadn't worked in a while before that, sometimes there won't be enough money in there for you to be able to get benefits.

As for the reason: you have to have been laid off for something unrelated to your work conduct, or if fired, fired for a reason not related to work conduct (i guess they just didn't like your hair? ) , or if you quit, you must have quit with "good cause" (sexual harassment, discrimination, unresolved safety issues, etc) and you must have tried to work out any problems FIRST (and generally have some sort of proof), before quitting. If you were fired, and the boss says it's for one thing and you are saying that's not the case or that you had no warning or did nothing wrong, then you might end up having to fight and appeal and so forth to get your benefits. Sometimes you won't get them in the end.

Example: my last job was a long term temporary position (supposed to be a year or two)... but I was laid off due to contract negotiation issues between the temp agency and the client/company where I was actually working. The client heard first and let me know that all temps would be laid off within 3 days, across the board.

Well, since i was working for a temp agency, there is a rule in Texas where you have to give them 3 days to find you another assignment, before you can apply for unemployment. You have to notify them, of course, that your most recent assignment is no more, and then give them the 3 days to find you something new, and you must keep in touch with them during all that time period.

Despite my emails (with read receipts) and phone calls daily to the temp agency, when I filed for Unemployment on day four, the *&#@& woman at the staffing agency had the ballz to try and tell the Unemployment people that I had failed to notify them that I was out of work. Nonsense, as I'd notified them BEFORE the lay off (I was given 3 days warning by the client, not the staffng agency, who SHOULD have been the one to notify me, but anyway)...and I'd also called and emailed EVERY day after the layoff.

Long story short, the Unemployment office woman took my word over the staffing agency woman's and I got my benefits but it delayed things. This sort of thing happens often, any time there is any way a company thinks they can get out of the unemployment claim, in my experience and the experiences of others close to me.

The unemployment office generally only wants to know if you work or take a temp job, and they want you to do a job search with certain requirements... they didn't ever ask about assets or living situation or school or any of that. The school thing is a possible problem though, because to get UI you have to be "available for work" so I think that would depend on when the person is going to classes and their course load and so forth. I don't know about that because I'd just finished the semester when I was laid off so I didn't have to deal with the school question in my case.

Again every state has different rules... but that's the general. I'm in Texas so it may be totally different elsewhere.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:27 PM

935 posts, read 1,511,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
is it possible to collect unemployment checks if you are just going to college and being supported by family (not a dorm, an apartment)? As well as looking for full time jobs....
I am wondering the same thing, but I think unless you've had a previous job then I don't think you can. I had a job at my former college before I graduated, but I was on a worker's grant program where everyone is suppose to work and they get paid minimum wage and below b/c it's a grant and not taxed. I am currently getting my Masters and live with family and I am still having a hard time getting a job. I do wish you the best of luck looking for employment and hope you can collect on unemployment. I think I might have to postpone my Masters if I can't find a job by December.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:16 PM

what about food stamps

Old 10-04-2008, 11:34 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,554,186 times
sounds like you are going thru some changes. hang in there.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
what about food stamps
What, specifically, do you want to know about food stamps?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:13 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,611,148 times
you apply for the foodstamps online, most states will let you know if you are eligible by your finances. UI benefits are mainly if you have worked enough in the past to have money in your history, years... and you were terminated thru no fault of your own. States vary, but the best thing to do is try for them, worse thing that can happen is they say you are not eligible, they dont fine you for asking, and there is no stigma attached either. Nobody except the ex employer and the state knows.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:29 PM

lol I was only curious just in case, no need to be negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sounds like you are going thru some changes. hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment