U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 16,457 times
Exclamation If I start new job and quit...can I resume my unemployment ?

Hello all...1st post and I need help ! I cannot get anyone on the phone on the New Jersey unemployent line so i am hoping someone can help me.
I have been unemployed for the past 6 months and I am still collecting under the 20 week extension(I have like 17 weeks left)
I went on a job interview last week for a job that paid 40k less than my previous job but I went on the interview because it was close to home and I am a little desperate. They offered me the job over the phone after a 25 minute interview...I panicked and took it without finding out more information...since then I have found out that their benefits are terrible and they offer virtualy NO sick or personal time and the working conditions may be very poor. My question is...if I start the job (in hopes that its not as bad as it seems) and I hate it...can I quit and resume my unemployment ? or is my unemployment done because I quit...If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,691,325 times
Don't take advise here-except maybe mine. ONLY talk to someone in the unemployment office for advise.
Or you can always have car trouble-i.e. tranny out motor shot. So no way to work for first day. Now that's not against the rules,kinda out of your control.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,819,639 times
I'm in NYC, so the rules may be different, but you can NOT collect unemployment if you quit a job. You can only collect it if you were fired or layed off.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:14 PM

5,972 posts, read 11,618,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I'm in NYC, so the rules may be different, but you can NOT collect unemployment if you quit a job. You can only collect it if you were fired or layed off.
You may not be able to collect if you were fired for cause. When you started, your unemployment benefits ceased. If you quit, you may not be able to receive unemployment. I say MAY because circumstances vary and you are entitled to an appeal. If you were laid off, you may be asked to continue your unused benefits if the layoff came within 6 months of your original application. Best advise is to talk to your state's unemployment department like a PP had advised.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:37 PM

1,500 posts, read 4,769,681 times
We have been trying to call NJ unemployment for 3 weeks now and can't get through. West Virginia has cut our checks off because we were going to go through NJ. We received 1 check from WV and now we have nothing because we can't get through to NJ we have to wait 30 days to claim again in WV. It is a total joke, even WV unemployment couldn't get through to NJ.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 PM

94 posts, read 139,923 times
If employment ends because of no fault of your own, you'd be eligible in any state. Disliking a job and resigning, would not be a valid reason.

I know this sounds bad but if you're not liking the employer (and havent' even started) than don't go...........it's not like they'll call unemployment and tell them that you turned down an offer. I know it's unethical but sometimes we have to do things to take care of ours right.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,167,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinamalia702 View Post
If employment ends because of no fault of your own, you'd be eligible in any state. Disliking a job and resigning, would not be a valid reason.

I know this sounds bad but if you're not liking the employer (and havent' even started) than don't go...........it's not like they'll call unemployment and tell them that you turned down an offer. I know it's unethical but sometimes we have to do things to take care of ours right.
Actually, they can, say that the job was offered, and the prospective employee didn't show up. I have found many employees on the workforce website and when they didnt show up, put in the site they didnt show up for an interview, or for work, and their benefits stop immediately. Best thing to do is contact the prospective employer back and rediscuss the pay, ask what it was, state you thought that they said more money, or something, if it was $16 per hour, say you thought they said $17 and that there isnt transportation during those hours, or you can't get babysitter at that short notice. Dont just disregard it if you have accepted the job. you could lose your benefits. cover your butt. That way, you can tell the employment office, they only gave you one or two day notice and you needed at least 3, for childcare or something. Doctors appt, something.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:12 AM

4,248 posts, read 6,295,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinamalia702 View Post

Not true. I once turned down a temp assignment, unemployment found out through them, and my benefits ceased.

To the OP, I think your unemployment may well be over.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 14,595 times
After 5 month unemployment I now have a 3 month contract (1099), ending Oct.15. The problem is that the company is always way behind with payroll. I am hoping they let me go when my contract ends and I can collect the rest of my EDD benefits and look for a better job.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,167,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joancravens View Post
After 5 month unemployment I now have a 3 month contract (1099), ending Oct.15. The problem is that the company is always way behind with payroll. I am hoping they let me go when my contract ends and I can collect the rest of my EDD benefits and look for a better job.
document this as a problem. When you state this as one of the reasons for leaving the job, not a problem. Plus you said the job is over anyway. a temp job with the contract being over doesn't negate unemployment benefits. It only postpones them while you are working, as long as you fulfill the obligations of the temp contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment