U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 70,447 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I'm going to contact them again about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM

2,111 posts, read 6,904,296 times
Yes I received notification in the mail about Tier 2, that I am eligible. Tier 1 and 2 have date limitations so you have to check where you're at (dates). I'm still on tier 1 to exhaust in Feb. NJ site posted the info early in Jan but I knew this sooner from other states starting before NJ. Originally (I think) the second extension was for 7 wks with possible more weeks but it seems they tacked that on to the first 13 wks calling it "tier 1" for 20 wks. And to my surprise added tier 2 for 13 wks bringing the total to 33 wks.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:49 AM

5,618 posts, read 12,795,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Yes I received notification in the mail about Tier 2, that I am eligible. Tier 1 and 2 have date limitations so you have to check where you're at (dates). I'm still on tier 1 to exhaust in Feb. NJ site posted the info early in Jan but I knew this sooner from other states starting before NJ. Originally (I think) the second extension was for 7 wks with possible more weeks but it seems they tacked that on to the first 13 wks calling it "tier 1" for 20 wks. And to my surprise added tier 2 for 13 wks bringing the total to 33 wks.
do you think they will have another extension after this???? You seem to be guessing correctly!! Pretty soon some could make a career out of collecting unemployment. It will carry you for about a year now.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 AM

This should help, notice the Aug 29,09 deadline that EUC can be claimed by:

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Extended Unemployment Benefits

I don't know if there will be another extension, but at the rate the economy is going, I rather see people getting help than corporations that are doomed.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:12 PM

23 posts, read 60,062 times
Hello All! To any who qualify for the second tier and have not yet received the determination letter instructing "how to file", you need to call a Reemployment Center number ASAP. Even though you have to wait an hour to speak to anyone. If you exhausted tier one benes and haven't received prior weeks checks ( was "given credit" for ) they put a hold on your claim. The letters supposedely went out starting Jan.12 but here it is the 28th and I've yet to receive mine. Best to call and answer their questions ( same as the claim form ) so they will release your checks! I've been sending my resume for a year and have had only three interviews, close but no cigar, still no hire. I'm beyond discouraged at this point. Until this year, I've never had such difficulties finding work. Can't imagine it getting worse. Some one please say it won't! Good luck to us all!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM

8 posts, read 54,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsolostinNJ View Post
(I don't think my first post went through.)
I qualified for the add'l tier 1 (7 weeks to Mar 22) and received 2 checks until Dec 25. I thought I had 3 weeks balance but received no more checks. I went to the local office but was told to refile because my benefit year expired Dec 27, 08, but then received an invalid claim notice. (I also received the Tier 2 notice before that btw). Does this sound right? I am not eligible for the balance of tier 1 or tier 2 for the unemployed becuse I was unemployed?

Does anyone have a similiar problem, if so should I appeal, or am I sunk? THANKS!

Hello Alsolostinnj,
I have a similar problem...I received a letter stating that I was eligible for the Tier II extension and that I should claim the benefits on 1/28/09. When I called to claim the benifits for 2 weeks I was told that I was only eligible for one week because the benefit year expired after that week. I have been calling the reemployment call center in my area every 1/2 hour for 3 days and get the same recording that my call cannot be answered due to the high volume of calls. I finally picked a number from the handbook and called for claim benefit information and after being on hold for 1/2 hour got a recording stating that the hold time was at least another hour. I finally decided to go online this afternoon and re-open my claim but I'm not sure if that was the correct thing to do or if I just caused myself more needless aggravation. I only re-opened the claim this afternoon but cannot reach anyone to find out if I did the right thing.

I guess what I wanna know is if you have had your problem resolved and what did you have to do to resolve it? This is so stressful, as if we don't have enough on our plates being unemployed to begin with.

I appreciate any information or advice.
Thanks.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 PM

393 posts, read 919,128 times
Stuck in Jersey & downandoutinnj:

Please, go the to Unemployment Office, in your locale, and speak to someone in person, if
not, your claims may be further delayed.

Good luck!
Sligo

Old 01-30-2009, 08:44 PM

I should think that the original claim is based on previous quarters worked, so if you qualify for the full 26 weeks, the extension is just that, an extension of that original claim and the extension is not based on time previously worked. Is this correct? Tier 1 is not up for me till end of FEB, and I received the Tier 2 letter that I am eligible. Now I'm not sure what to expect, but I would guess it's for the full 13 wks. Tier 1 extensions 13+7 went smooth for me, automatic.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 AM

8 posts, read 54,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I should think that the original claim is based on previous quarters worked, so if you qualify for the full 26 weeks, the extension is just that, an extension of that original claim and the extension is not based on time previously worked. Is this correct? Tier 1 is not up for me till end of FEB, and I received the Tier 2 letter that I am eligible. Now I'm not sure what to expect, but I would guess it's for the full 13 wks. Tier 1 extensions 13+7 went smooth for me, automatic.

Tier 1 extensions went smooth for me as well. I also received my "Notice of EUC eligibility" which included the new maximum benefit amount and weekly benefit rate that calculates to 13 weeks. My problem started when I called on the specified date to claim the first 2 weeks of the tier II extension. It doesn't really make sense because anyone who is eligible for both tier I and II extensions, will be collecting for a total of 59 weeks and go past the benefit year. I hope you don't run into the same problem I did. Good Luck!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downandoutinnj View Post
Tier 1 extensions went smooth for me as well. I also received my "Notice of EUC eligibility" which included the new maximum benefit amount and weekly benefit rate that calculates to 13 weeks. My problem started when I called on the specified date to claim the first 2 weeks of the tier II extension. It doesn't really make sense because anyone who is eligible for both tier I and II extensions, will be collecting for a total of 59 weeks and go past the benefit year. I hope you don't run into the same problem I did. Good Luck!
So what happened? Did your claim go through? That's what I was saying, now with the extensions, they shouldn't be based on benefit year. That was established from the initial claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment