U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:18 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,899,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefor View Post
The current unemployment extension expires in March 09. Does the stimulus package include extending unemployment for people who have exhausted there first and second teir of unemployment? Or is the continued extension only for those who have recently exhausted their regular unemployment claim? Or is it completely leaving out the millions of people who will exhaust the first and second teir in march?
Tier 1 expires in March, Tier 2 in August, as shown below. Hope this is the same for NJ:

The first date a second extension can be filed is November 23, 2008, and the last date the second extension can begin is August 23, 2009. You may be eligible for the second extension if you:
  • Were eligible for the first extension,
  • Collected all benefits on the first extension by March 31, 2009,
  • Are not qualified to file a new regular claim, AND
  • Meet all eligibility criteria.
IMO, I don't think the second extension is based on "benefit year", because......it can't. I believe the extensions are based on the original claim and dates, to qualify. That's my opinion and seems logical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM

222 posts, read 954,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeNJ2009 View Post
Hello Guys, I have read the previous posts as well as comments and questions in different forums on the net. There is too much confusion here about this one question:

Here is the question most people are asking about NEW JERSEY:

If you qualify for tier 2 then you are surely going to reach your benefit year expiration.

26 weeks: regular claim ( NJ )
20 Weeks: tier 1 NJ

that is now 46 weeks
add tier 2 in NJ is 13 more.

that is 59 weeks.

a claim year ( some call it benefit year) is only good for 52 weeks.

What happens in NJ if you are on tier 2 and your claim year is up?? do you keep collecting? file a new claim? call them up? is it automatic?

what is the OFFICIAL procedure in NJ for this ?? becuase this is going to eventually come up for anyone who gets tier 2. It is inevitable and thiere is all kinds of mixed comments wether or not a new cliam is needed or they just pay out the balance since its just 7 xtra weeks past expiration.
Exactly! I would like to file an appeal since they put in their computer "new claim denied." I put in the question to NELP and hopefully they'll answer me soon.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 AM

I found something interesting here. According to the NJ LWD website, in order to be eligible for the Tier Two benefits you must meet all of the following conditions:

1) You are unemployed or working part-time;

2) You are not eligible for a new regular unemployment insurance claim;
3) You filed a new unemployment insurance claim dated May 7, 2006; or later;
4) You exhausted your unemployment insurance benefits or the benefit year on your claim has expired; and
5) Your claim is based on 20 base weeks or you have had earnings of at least 40 times the weekly benefit rate in your base year.
Now, the issue in my case is that because they say that the claim is expired, they claim my husband IS eligible for a new regular unemployment claim (and therefore doesn't meet the #2 condition) even though he hasn't worked at all since the date of the claim.

So I thought: "ok, so why are they saying he is eligible for a new claim?"
So I found this:

If you received benefits on an unemployment insurance claim, you must have worked since the beginning of that claim to qualify for another unemployment insurance claim after the first claim's benefit year ends. You cannot go from one claim to another successive claim without working in between. Two claims cannot be based on the same separation from work.

In other words, NJ screwed my husband and we have to appeal the decision. They claim he is eligible for a new claim in WV, but he hasn't worked at all, and for a new claim to be filed it would have to be based on the same separation from work, which according to their own rules they can't do!

So for all those people NJ is telling them they must file a new claim, unless you have worked at one point from the beginning of the claim, then you are not eligible for a new claim, which would meet the criteria for qualifying for the Tier Two extension. I hope this helps!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:42 PM

I don't agree with filing a new claim to get extended benefits. The extended benefits should be based on your old claim, and that being based on when you worked. I agree, like for me, I cannot open a new claim as I don't qualify. You have to work 3 months to open another claim, I know because it happened to me 4 yrs ago. I can only let you know about Tier 2 as I should go on Tier2 in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I don't agree with filing a new claim to get extended benefits. The extended benefits should be based on your old claim, and that being based on when you worked. I agree, like for me, I cannot open a new claim as I don't qualify. You have to work 3 months to open another claim, I know because it happened to me 4 yrs ago. I can only let you know about Tier 2 as I should go on Tier2 in a couple of weeks.
Yes please keep us informed. I am writing an appeal tonight and mailing it tomorrow with a return receipt. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,787,768 times
wait a minute here. Ok my original 26 weeks is up on Tuesday then I guess I go on tier 1, correct?

So if I don't find a job after tier 1, I can't qualify for tier 2?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM

Some of you having problems for Tier 2, did you receive a " Notice of Eligibility" in the mail? It tells me I have an additional 13 weeks, I do not have to do anything, it's automatic. I received it last month and Tier 1 expires for me a week from tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Some of you having problems for Tier 2, did you receive a " Notice of Eligibility" in the mail? It tells me I have an additional 13 weeks, I do not have to do anything, it's automatic. I received it last month and Tier 1 expires for me a week from tomorrow.
Yes, my husband did receive the notice of eligibility for Tier II benefits, but they still denied him those benefits anyway.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 35,356 times
will there be an extension of tier 2 benefits in prez stimulas package. a lot of us is have about 4 more weeks left, anyone know. d.p 216

Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 35,356 times
what happens after 2 tier runs out in march 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment