Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
From About.Com: Understanding the Two Tiers of Extended Benefits (January 2, 2009) There have been many questions about the number of weeks provided by Congress through Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 passed on November 21, 2008. This Q and A attempts to answer key questions about the two tiers of benefits. How many weeks of benefits am I entitled to? Workers in low unemployment states are eligible for a total of 20 weeks of benefits, while workers in high unemployment states are eligible for 33 weeks of benefits. High unemployment is defined as a state unemployment rate above 6% for a three month period. What is the difference between first tier and second tier benefits? In all 50 states, those who exhausted the 13 weeks of EUC benefits before the passage of the new law in November are now eligible for an existing 7 weeks of extended benefits. These are called additional first tier benefits. If they live in a state with an unemployment rate of 6 percent or above (over a three month period), workers are eligible for an additional 13 weeks of second tier benefits. [url=http://ows.doleta.gov/unemploy/euc_trigger/2008/euc_122808.html]Emergency Unemployment Compensation Trigger Notice Report[/url]
Hi
Would like a little light , On the past disqualified for benefits from 6-28-09 too 08-08-09,
I was dischaged form my former empolyer they say fighting on the job , and verbal confrontation with a co-worker, discharged for { misconduct connected with the work } 5 week waiting period is now inforced, i don't want to appeal this.
After the waiting time, bring's it too 08-10-09 too place a reclam, is that how it works? and i should get my benefits then? any in sight on this matter any will help , thank you dave
[URL="http://www.skylarlimos@gmail.com"]www.skylarlimos@gmail.com[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:51 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc00 View Post
appreciate the reply, is there anything that automatically rejects you for the extension?
The requirements for Tier I and for Tier II extensions are essentially the same as for the initial benefits.

If you had a prior disqualification on your claim for your initial benefits, the disqualification remains in effect until you meet the requalification requirements -- and that would at the very least delay Tier I benefits.

Since you are wrapping up your initial benefits, you obviously filled the requirements for them and that would not be an issue for you.

Remember, though, that these extensions are not in place indefinitely. They will be expiring unless extended by the federal government. The full requirements for Tier I -- including when they expire -- can be found at the NJ Unemployment website:

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Emergency Unemployment Benefits

Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 AM

139 posts, read 290,926 times
Redcell did you have your interview on the phone with your employer, and unemployment when this happen? and did your employer aggree to pay your benifits? because if they agreed then yes you will receive them and if they refuse to pay you your employer then no,you'll have to fight for that.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monorati1405 View Post
Redcell did you have your interview on the phone with your employer, and unemployment when this happen? and did your employer aggree to pay your benifits? because if they agreed then yes you will receive them and if they refuse to pay you your employer then no,you'll have to fight for that.
Of course, every case is different -- but I had my telephone interview just with Unemployment. My former employer was interviewed separately -- so I had no chance to respond until after I received the declaration from Unemployment that I was ineligible for benefits.

At that point I filed an appeal. My former employer did send a rep to the appeals hearing -- which was conducted in person by an appeals judge. I won the appeal and received back benefits -- but because of the backlog in appeals, it took me 5 months to finally get benefits.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM

119 posts, read 233,082 times
Default $0.00 balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
If you are eligible for the Tier I extension, you will get a written confirmation of that fact shortly after the last check on your initial claim. Normally, the extension kicks in with no delay -- although the day of the week you claim benefits will probably be changed (for example, if you now claim benefits every other Monday, you may be told to claim the Tier I benefits every other Wednesday instead).

If you don't receive written notification within a week or so after your last check, you can call Unemployment or stop by the local Unemployment office to have them check the status of the extension for you.

If you are not eligible for the extension, you will receive notification of that in writing shortly after your last check from your initial claim. You have the right to appeal any determination that denies you benefits.
I understand this thread is about Tier 2 but I don't see a major thread addressing what happens after the initial 26 weeks are up - maybe the thread is buried towards the back. I notice everyone keeps talking about checks. Are the majority of people actually receiving paper checks in the mail??? They deposit the money straight into my account. I couldn't imagine having to head to the bank each time I get a weekly check. Plus, they can be lost, stolen, etc.

Anyway, my initial claim ran out over 2 weeks ago and I received no notice in the mail or anything. My balance just showed as $0.00. I read on here that you should just wait but 2 weeks is way too long to not hear something so I called into the unemployment office. The woman on the phone said I wasn't going to receive a notice I would just still go on claiming my unemployment. I told her I couldn't because my balance was now $0.00. She said to disregard the balance and continue claiming my benefits like before. Anyone else get this response??? It doesn't make much sense (where's the money coming from?) but I'm not going to argue. I'll just do as told and keep you guys updated. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,726 times
Hello, I am currently on Tier II benefits and received one check last week (first 2 weeks if Tier II benefits). According to my bi-weekly claim for, I have a remaining balance of $6,160. I went to file my bi-weekly claim this morning and was prompted that I need to open a new claim, because it has been a year since I filed the original claim. I am not sure why I need to do this, because I just started Tier II benefits only two weeks ago. I tried to calling NJ Unemployment, but was unable to reach a live person. Has anyone run into the same situation? I thought I would be able to collect the remaining balance (which is 11 weeks). How should I proceed? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. JG..

Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM

170 posts, read 329,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Gonshor View Post
Hello, I am currently on Tier II benefits and received one check last week (first 2 weeks if Tier II benefits). According to my bi-weekly claim for, I have a remaining balance of $6,160. I went to file my bi-weekly claim this morning and was prompted that I need to open a new claim, because it has been a year since I filed the original claim. I am not sure why I need to do this, because I just started Tier II benefits only two weeks ago. I tried to calling NJ Unemployment, but was unable to reach a live person. Has anyone run into the same situation? I thought I would be able to collect the remaining balance (which is 11 weeks). How should I proceed? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. JG..
Hi, Yes you must Re-activate your Benefit Claims right after your 1-Year Anniversary which is posted on your Claim Card. BUT better off going to your nearest Unemployment Office to do so, talk to a Rep takes only 2-seconds to re-activate your account, then you will receive all checks.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,223 times
mailed yellow euc tier 2 form more than a week ago but still haven't gotten a check or new form yet what should I do

Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 PM

336 posts, read 1,295,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davnj View Post
mailed yellow euc tier 2 form more than a week ago but still haven't gotten a check or new form yet what should I do

There are no forms to mails for tier two, only EB has a form you need to mail. Are you on tier two or EB?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,223 times
not sure it was a yellow form version of the regular blue unemployment form with an extra part on top where you list the places where you tried to find work and mail it separately.

Last edited by davnj; 08-08-2009 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment