U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 AM

194 posts, read 264,214 times

Advertisements

From NBC news this morning there will be a 13 week extenion in states that have unemployment of more than 8.2%. NJ will be able to extend these benefits to all of us who need the extra extention. Should be in place in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Fundamentals; 09-22-2009 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sap147 View Post
Can someone please help me out. I think I am entitled to more unemployment benefits. I was the owner of a small business and as of June of 2008, I do not own it anymore, and cannot find more work. I received unemployment for about 13 weeks after which they said I was not eligible for more. My last week I got was 11-01-08. I do not recalled receiving any extensions or and Emergency benefits or anything after this. I did not get any letter about anything. I am still unemployed and I think I am entitled to more benefits.
Just an update, I went to the unemployment office and they said I did not qualify for any of the extensions? My original claim was June 15th of 2008. I don't know whats going on. Is it because I was self-employed and I sold my business? The business was too many hours for me to run, therefore I wanted a regular 9-5 job, however am I penalized for this? If anyone has any ideas on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Gmq

21 posts, read 45,966 times
When the Senate passes this bill, how long do you gauge it will take for us to receive letter in mail for those who qualify? Thanks.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 11,861 times
yeah it's not on the website for nj dept of labor

Old 10-01-2009, 04:24 PM

3,814 posts, read 10,244,526 times
Default Status of passage of next extension/post-EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
From NBC news this morning there will be a 13 week extenion in states that have unemployment of more than 8.2%. NJ will be able to extend these benefits to all of us who need the extra extention. Should be in place in a couple of weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmq View Post
When the Senate passes this bill, how long do you gauge it will take for us to receive letter in mail for those who qualify? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_Reeves View Post
yeah it's not on the website for nj dept of labor
It's a bit more complicated than NBC reported. Go to the following thread to catch up on the status of the next extension (after EB) and see the twists and turns it's going through.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...r-eb-part.html

Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 36,275 times
I have two more benefit payments coming from when I originally filed....So when I get my last check, will the first extension automatically kick in, or will I have to go through some other process????Thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 PM

9 posts, read 36,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
From About.Com: Understanding the Two Tiers of Extended Benefits (January 2, 2009) There have been many questions about the number of weeks provided by Congress through Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 passed on November 21, 2008. This Q and A attempts to answer key questions about the two tiers of benefits. How many weeks of benefits am I entitled to? Workers in low unemployment states are eligible for a total of 20 weeks of benefits, while workers in high unemployment states are eligible for 33 weeks of benefits. High unemployment is defined as a state unemployment rate above 6% for a three month period. What is the difference between first tier and second tier benefits? In all 50 states, those who exhausted the 13 weeks of EUC benefits before the passage of the new law in November are now eligible for an existing 7 weeks of extended benefits. These are called additional first tier benefits. If they live in a state with an unemployment rate of 6 percent or above (over a three month period), workers are eligible for an additional 13 weeks of second tier benefits. Emergency Unemployment Compensation Trigger Notice Report
You sound like you know what your talking about so I have a question for you....I live in Tn and have my original claim through New Jersey...My original claim is about to run out in one more payment. Do you have any idea if I will qualify for any of these extensions you have spoke of or that I have read about, and if so, will New Jersey contact me or do I need to contact them when I file my last report? Thanks.......

Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 14,613 times
Thursday was my last check from extension number one how do I get extension number 2?

Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,905,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawgrass17 View Post
Thursday was my last check from extension number one how do I get extension number 2?
In NJ, it is automatic.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 10,958 times
I will be claiming my last week of initail unemployment (26 wks) on Tuesday. What happens next...Do I automatically get an extension (how many weeks?) or do I need to do something to get an extension?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment