Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 15,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
I just replied to your post in another topic where you posted this same question..please don't post like this without reading the first topic you posted in a few minutes ago. See topic ( NJ unemployment extension Tiers..post #16).
carlo2009,

Sorry for the dual post.
I posted my question on the other topic first but than I realized that it hasn't been updated for a while (like 2 months) so I found this one and reposted my question.

Once again, apologies for any inconvenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroll View Post
carlo2009,

Sorry for the dual post.
I posted my question on the other topic first but than I realized that it hasn't been updated for a while (like 2 months) so I found this one and reposted my question.

Once again, apologies for any inconvenience.
No problem..I just wanted to tell you that I did reply the best I could to your question..really its not a big issue..you were seeking a answer and did what you had to do.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,867 times
Help! I am so confused. It seems that I will quality for tier (14) as I will now exhaust my benefits before April 4, but in New York it says in order to move up the next tier I need to have OC effective date of May, 11. The problem with me is that my OC effective date is May 18. ONE week off. Would I still qualify?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 AM

139 posts, read 290,952 times
With states with higher unemployment. How can Washington just sit there and not do anything. I wrote to sen. Mandez from n.j and gave him a peice of my mine and told him that Washington needs to get the ball rolling for tier 5, its not like we are just sitting here collecting to get a free hand out. Like I said before earlier in another forum I'm trying to start a small business and I pray that something good comes from it. Lets keep all of our fingers crossed that something happens from Washington. If not we will all be screwed. But I'll tell you what if they do screw around Washington I will never ever vote again. POWER TO THE PEPOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 54,581 times
I am sure this has been talked about over and over.

I got unemployed June 09.

I finished my original unemployment so now I guess I am on Teir one.

I live in NJ - and as I look on their website, it says for teir 2, you must exhaust all teir 1 by April 3 2010.
direct link : http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/...xtensions.html
I will be exhausting my Teir 1 closer to the end of April.

From that statement alone, I will not qualify for teir 2. Is NJ planning on doing anything about that? I know the senate has agreed and the house has yet to do anything about it.

Can something please shed some light onto this situation?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmg4 View Post
I am sure this has been talked about over and over.

I got unemployed June 09.

I finished my original unemployment so now I guess I am on Teir one.

I live in NJ - and as I look on their website, it says for teir 2, you must exhaust all teir 1 by April 3 2010.
direct link : Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions
I will be exhausting my Teir 1 closer to the end of April.

From that statement alone, I will not qualify for teir 2. Is NJ planning on doing anything about that? I know the senate has agreed and the house has yet to do anything about it.

Can something please shed some light onto this situation?
The EUC Tiers are a federal program; none of the states has any control over the cut-off dates for eligibility. So, New Jersey cannot do anything about the April cut-off date for the program.

There are two bills that would extend the cut-off dates.

HR 4213 -- which provides extensions through year-end 2010 -- is the bill you describe as the Senate having passed, but it is now awaiting passage by the House. The delay is due to disagreement in the House about the sources of funding for the programs in HR 4213.

HR 4851 -- which provides one-month extensions as a stop gap until HR 4213 can be passed -- has been passed by the House. It is now awaiting passage by the Senate.

If neither of these two bills is passed before the current April cut-off date, you may be eligibile to collect EB when you exhaust Tier I. Check the NJ DOL website for information about the eligibility requirements for EB.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:11 PM

11 posts, read 54,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The EUC Tiers are a federal program; none of the states has any control over the cut-off dates for eligibility. So, New Jersey cannot do anything about the April cut-off date for the program.

There are two bills that would extend the cut-off dates.

HR 4213 -- which provides extensions through year-end 2010 -- is the bill you describe as the Senate having passed, but it is now awaiting passage by the House. The delay is due to disagreement in the House about the sources of funding for the programs in HR 4213.

HR 4851 -- which provides one-month extensions as a stop gap until HR 4213 can be passed -- has been passed by the House. It is now awaiting passage by the Senate.

If neither of these two bills is passed before the current April cut-off date, you may be eligibile to collect EB when you exhaust Tier I. Check the NJ DOL website for information about the eligibility requirements for EB.
Thanks for the fast reply!

So the only way the April cutoff date will be extended further is if HR4213 is passed BEFORE the date?
What would happen if it passes after my teir 1 is over?

I have a question about EB.
On the NJ website, it states, "EB pays 13 weeks or 50% of the individual’s maximum benefit amount on their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. "

Does this mean I will make half of my benefits? For example, if I receive 500 every week for benefits, I will now only receive 250 every week?

Thanks.

Last edited by kingmg4; 03-19-2010 at 03:21 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmg4 View Post
Thanks for the fast reply!

So the only way the April cutoff date will be extended further is if HR4213 is passed BEFORE the date?
What would happen if it passes after my teir 1 is over?

I have a question about EB.
On the NJ website, it states, "EB pays 13 weeks or 50% of the individual’s maximum benefit amount on their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. "

Does this mean I will make half of my benefits? For example, if I receive 500 every week for benefits, I will now only receive 250 every week?

Thanks.
(1) When the legislation to extend the cut-off dates is passed shortly after the cut-off dates, it is generally made retroactive. That happened the last time the cut-off dates were extended -- to April 5 from February 28. That legislation was actually passed the first week in March, but it was made retroactive to February 28 so there would be no gap in benefits. So if the extensions are passed after you exhaust Tier I, you will be paid Tier II retroactively.

(2) All of the extensions -- including EB -- are based on the number of weeks you received in regular unemployment (up to 26 weeks).

When the description says "13 weeks or 50% of the maximum benefit amount," that maximum benefit amount refers to the number of weeks, not the dollar amount of the weekly payment.

So, if you received the maximum in regular benefits (26 weeks), you would receive 13 weeks in EB, or 50% of the maximum number of weeks. If you received only 20 weeks of regular benefits, you would receive 50% of that -- or 10 weeks -- of EB.

Your weekly payment remains the same throughout the extensions -- unless you have earnings while you are unemployed. In that case, your weekly unemployment benefit would be reduced because of your earnings that week.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times
I ran out of my unemployment benefits this week, my last check was for $83. Would I be eligible for an extension or because my balance ran out I can't? Also, if I was eligible for an extension, how would I go about getting that?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,132 times
once you have recieved a letter stating you have exhausted your state and federal benefits, do you need to contact the unemployment office even though you might still be eligible for another 20 week extion even if you do not want to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment