Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,496 times

Advertisements

I was recently let go from my job through no fault of my own. It's a blessing in disguise as this gives me the opportunity to really explore "what I want to be when I grow up." I am extremely fortunate to be in a living situation that allows me the freedom to make a total career change, but this is going to take time and consideration.

Like all of you, I still need to pay the bills, but I'm not sure if I will be able to collect unemployment benefits in CA if I am not actively applying for jobs immediately.

Does anyone know if I can defer collection of UI benefits until I am actively in job search mode?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
California will not pay benefits if you are not actively searching for work. You are required to keep records of your job search and could be called in to show proof of job search at any time.

You can delay filing for a while. Base year earnings are calculated going back 18 months. The earnings from the quarter in which you file and the previous quarter are not included. Therefore, assuming this was a job you've had for the past 18 months, you could wait six months and still have 12 months' earnings considered for maximum benefit. If your earnings history from this and other employment do not go back 18 months, you could wait three months, but no longer.

Some states want you to file immediately. Know that if you log a claim, you have one year to collect benefits on that claim.

Call California and ask them how long you can delay filing. Also, if earnings are an issue AND if you get a friendly agent, ask when it would be most beneficial financially for you to file. They will not volunteer this information.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-11-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment