Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:08 PM

13 posts, read 25,647 times

Advertisements

I filed my claim on 4/1, but they said the effective benefits date was 3/31. If they use the March quarter, then I get considerably less benefits.

They also showed in my awards letter that I made $0 and will be receiving $0 in benefits. My company is large and extremely slow, so I think that they are still trying to get my wages from the company.

Did I mess up by not waiting until the first Sunday in April? The website clearly states that if one files a claim in April, they will receive a claim based on Oct/Nov/Dec. I do not understand why they would backdate to 3/31 when I specifically filed on 4/1.

Does anyone have any advice about what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 01:57 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,767,401 times
UI claim date gets dated to the Sunday of the week that you open the claim. You opened it April 1st (Monday) but the claim date starts Sunday March 31st. And yep you should have waited til following week to open claim. First SUNDAY in April.

So now your 4 quarters used will be Oct - Dec 2017, Jan - march 2018, April - June 2018, and July - Sept 2018.

If you had waited til first Sunday in April the 4 quarters would have been Jan - March 2018, April - June 2018, July - Sept 2018 and Oct - Dec 2018.

What are the start and end dates for your last employer?

Chyvan will probably be better to advise you on what your options might be at this point.

Last edited by scraprsmith; 04-14-2019 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by releneltss890 View Post
Does anyone have any advice about what to do?
Shame you didn't ask this question SATURDAY.

You can still REfile for a claim, but you're going to be delayed a week.

Your company didn't mess up. EDD didn't mess up. YOU messed up because you don't know the rules. A claim in every state but NY is backdated to Sunday.

I keep preaching this stuff. GET HELP. Everyone should be learning this stuff the minute they start working their first job. You're a perfect example. You didn't learn it BEFORE you filed your application. You did it AFTER you got a letter you didn't like.

If you truly are getting NO benefit, EDD should be automatically using the alternate base period which should mean that refiling now shouldn't be necessary.

If you are getting something, then you need call EDD and cancel the application dated 4/1/19. You can only use the alternate base period when you get nothing, not to get the best benefit possible.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:16 PM

Yep... Chyvan.. beat me to the alternate base period angle.

Hopefully you don't qualify under standard base period then they will have to use all 4 quarters in 2018.

Figure out your earnings per quarter and see if you think you will qualify under standard or alternate base period. Then figure out your strategy.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:58 PM

I sent my earnings per quarter with my application. I am puzzled why it shows as $0. My employer is historically extremely slow at these things.

I did read about calculating benefits on this page: https://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/Ca...nt_Amounts.htm

I saw no mention of Sunday on it, just that if one applies in April, it will use Oct/Nov/Dec period.

I will need to call tomorrow. Do you suggest that I cancel the claim and reopen it?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Do you suggest that I cancel the claim and reopen it?
Only if you getting a benefit or a benefit that you think is too low.

If you are getting NO benefit, you can wait for the alternate base period to be calculated.

Better yet, look at your award letter. It has appeal rights. USE THEM. If you employer is slow, and you have paystubs, send them in and FORCE the recalculation based on your data. EDD can't just make you wait on your employer.

Self reported numbers that you typed in on your UI application mean nothing. You need to use the stubs.

That link you posted is for disability, not UI. Are you going on disability?

Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 AM

If they are using alternate base period I agree you should fax your pay stubs in rather than wait on them to get from your employer.

Did you figure out the benefit dollar amount if they use the qtrs for filing in March? Do you meet the criteria for a standard base period? If you don't then they will use alternate base period (which would be the quarters you wanted to use anyway).

If you do meet the standard base period (and your benefit amount will be lower) then cancel and reopen the claim.

Link for how UI benefits are calculated

https://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de8714ab.pdf

UI Benefits calculator

https://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/UI-Calculator.htm

Old 04-15-2019, 09:14 AM

I am using the standard base period. I do not know why it shows as $0. I am calling them and in the waiting line.

This is the fact sheet I used to see that April 1st was fine to file:

Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM

I called. They were really nicely on the phone and already had everything done properly. They appeared to be frustrated by my employee's long wait, too.

So, if this happens to anyone else, make sure to CALL, as Chyvan said.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I am using the standard base period. I do not know why it shows as $0. I am calling them and in the waiting line.

This is the fact sheet I used to see that April 1st was fine to file:

It was ok for YOU to file on April 1 for pure dumb luck. For a lot of other people, they need to know this stuff upfront and file on the correct date the first time around. NO, you are not using standard. The standard base period got you zero, and therefore CA is applying the alternate base period. You'll see all this in the NEXT monetary award letter you receive.

If you had been eligible for a UI benefit of $1/wk, you'd have had to do a lot of work to fix it. For people in some other states like MA, you canNOT fix it.

You MUST know the correct date to file BEFORE you file, and if you don't know, ask strangers on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment