Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,897 times

Advertisements

I am desperate and need help. I was fired by my employer, a convenience store located in Carson City just this past month. I was an excellent employee and unfortunately I failed a police sting for misreading an id presented to me by an under cover police for alcohol (person was 20 yrs. of age). I was devastated and that there must be something unusual about this license. I have been more than a dedicated employee and always checked ID. I can not believe I could have possibly did this and I insisted on the officer to show me the ID again but he would not. I was discharged 2 days later. Now, my employer has had two other employees (one is assistant manager) who failed stings in last year and they still work there. I have received a $600 citation plus now I am considered a criminal (misdemeanor) that will stay on my record. I am pleading innocent in court for I feel I am. I need to see the ID again. I had applied for unemployment and was denied benefits for misconduct because I failed sting. I can not believe it. I have always and still am an excellent employee for all my past employers. If I did make this mistake it was purely innocent, human error. I can not live without this financial help for the job market is impossible. I have always worked and never collected unemployment before. Has anyone know of anyone in my position that was able to win their unemployment. I feel so hopeless and desperate especially at age 55. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,201 times
Default To DZO

Dear DZO please accept this advice from someone who knows as I have been young once also. I assume your very young from your statement. You state that you were only 5 minutes late and it was the first time in more than a month. That statement sounds like it's coming from someone who is late more often than they should be. There are always extinuating circumstances but in the climate that you speak about at your place of employment you need to be at work on time everyday and you need to understand that 1 minute past the time you're suppose to be at work is late. If your employer requires that your clothes be neat and pressed than you need to be neat and your clothes pressed everyday no excuses. Do your job correctly and follow all the rules. You might even try to get to work a few minutes early everyday and when they look for people to fire to save money they may just pass over an exemplary emlpoyee otherwise you may find yourself out of work and without unemployment.
Take it from someone who's been there

Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 AM

31 posts, read 105,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
Hi. I saw a few posts on here about unemployment rules by a retired employee and was hoping I could get an answer to my question.
I had to quit my job because my car broke down. I am on a bus line but the problem is that on 2 nights I worked until 2am- No buses run that late. And problem #2 is that the other nights I work until 11pm and really wouldn't have felt safe walking home from the bus stop alone at almost midnight.
Im wondering if this will qualify as "good cause" for quitting my job? Has anyone here applied and been approved under similar circumstances? Thanks!

Missy
You are eligible for lawful unemployment for being laid off or/and terminated for reasons other than poor job performance and, other disciplinary type terminations from any lawful gainful employment. however leaving a job (i.e., quitting or resigning is not the same thing and would not be deemed eligible for such benefits during the lay-off period)

Sorry if it's bad news, but good luck!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
sorry that happened.
carding is an important part of the liquor industry.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,927 times
I have terrible seizures and medicines are not controling them. I also have ptsd and from the seizures I now have earned Studder. I work as a line cook and it's not safe for me to be on the line in case I have a seizure. My ptsd causes terrible anxiety which in turn causes seizures. Is this a good reason to quit my job in Nevada and get unemployment? I will also file for disability. Any input would be helpful. My email address is [mod].[/mod]. Thanks have a good day.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 11-22-2015 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: removed email address for your safety

Old 11-22-2015, 01:44 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,057,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundMansfield View Post
I have terrible seizures and medicines are not controling them. I also have ptsd and from the seizures I now have earned Studder. I work as a line cook and it's not safe for me to be on the line in case I have a seizure. My ptsd causes terrible anxiety which in turn causes seizures. Is this a good reason to quit my job in Nevada and get unemployment? I will also file for disability. Any input would be helpful. Thanks have a good day.
I would say no, because of no. 4 and 5.

Quote:

4. Must be available to seek and accept work customary to their normal occupation;
5. Must be physically and mentally able to work at the time they initiate a claim for benefits
Employment Security Division Unemployment Eligibility Page

Old 11-22-2015, 01:54 AM

I am able to work in my field just not in the kitchen. I'm physically and mentally able to look for work and do work. I might have to find a new occupation. I have a sales background and I could do that again. I'm also a a Veteran. But you may be right. Either way tomorrow will be my last day at work. I guess I'll go on fmla. But that doesn't help my family I have 2 kids and don't know how I'm gonna help my household. As a man this is a crappy situation to be in. Thanks for your in put.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:50 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
If you have a doctor write you a letter saying you have to quit what you are doing and look for another job, then you should be able to collect UI as long as you are able to do something else. But if you've already quit, you've probably shot yourself in the foot. If you have FMLA on your job, that might help, but if I remember correctly (been retired for a few years) you can't collect both.

BTW: Unless things have changed recently, Nevada doesn't have disability.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,329 times
Moved from Nevada forum.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 AM

But if I go on fmla I can't collect anything at all cause my job offers no insurance. So idk what to do. Today I go see the buisness owner. I already have a letter from a Dr telling me not to work in a kitchen til my seizures are under control. I am at a loss as what to do. I understand I can't collect both. Disability will take a while to get. Aww man this time of year this is all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment