U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:53 PM

58 posts, read 104,804 times
Default Unemployed over 50 years old

Don't feel sorry for me.
After working steady for 35 years, I am unemployed. I have worked hard all my life. I have put in over 500 applications, only 5 interviews. I have a very good professional resume, am in great shape for being 53, look younger than my age, clean cut, dress great for interviews. I seem to get passed up on jobs from people half my age that look like they just got out of jail. Dirty hair, smelly, tatoos, earings, etc. and they get the jobs, I don't.
What gives?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 PM

9,909 posts, read 13,371,577 times
I feel for you, I do. I know it's hard not to get down on yourself, but try not to. You describe yourself in a very positive way. I'd hire you! But then, I'm 55. I applied for an internal job, the main co-worker begged the manager to interview and hire me, and she hired someone with no experience. A very sharp gal who made it clear she'd be gone in a year. What gives? I'm very expensive after 26 years. I have skills and abilities that would go wasted in the job I didn't get. No one wants the job I currently have, because it's hard

After working heroically the other night (a bad night at the psych hospital is a bad night indeed), I accepted that I'm expensive and they really get their money's worth when the chips are down, and it would be foolish to pay me top dollar to use 5% of what I can do.

I left the hospital several times, often for non-hospital jobs. I was once interviewed by some boy who looked about 25 (I was 43) for a job that I'd held for four years in the mid-1970s. The job had changed a lot, but I was still interested. He asked me, "How do you feel about being so much older than everyone else here?" I gently suggested that he can't ask that.
They hired me, gave me absolutely no guidance as to the job, including the technical changes (and there was no way to intuit things) and fired me at 90 days after "moving you forward faster," again, with no guidance.
I'm sure I didn't fit in, and these kids weren't professional enough to treat the job like anything besides a dorm clique.
I don't what to say to the OP. I wish you well, you sound very professional and sharp, and I hope you are interviewed by someone who deserves you.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:13 PM

3,931 posts, read 8,178,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkinst View Post
...I seem to get passed up on jobs from people half my age that look like they just got out of jail. Dirty hair, smelly, tatoos, earings, etc. and they get the jobs, I don't.
Why would you want a job that hired these kinds of people?

I think you need to raise your sights and apply for positions that attract a better class of applicants.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,360,375 times
They get hired because they can be paid less, bosses like 'stupid people' who will follow blindly and 'youth rules' in certain sectors.

We have some scary people out here who have jobs while I have been unemployed 6 months. However, they are mainly in retail and restaurants (no offense just stating the 2 easiest places to get a job).

I swear half the people at my local store are 'somewhat touched' if you get my meaning.

Yes, it's disheartening to see 'weirdos' making $$ while you are idle but maybe you can use your 35 years to be a consultant or mentor others.

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 PM

3,843 posts, read 7,965,881 times
all comes down to the bottom line.

A company will hire whoever gets the bottom line the highest.

Honestly, if I was an employer I would do the same.

Only advice I can give is to keep looking and applying.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM

10,427 posts, read 28,431,756 times
And you know what angers me about these employers you speak of? Look at the ads they place. They are so full of spelling and grammar errors it is simply hilarious.

Just last week I read ads such as a temporary job of gift basket filler for 2 weeks prior to Valentines day which required a strong resume with no breaks in employment and an Associates degree was required.

Then there was another for a part time counter person in a Pawn Shop which required a Bachelors degree.

And another yet for a photographer which stated in the ad that no paycheck would be given till your 30 days probationary period was up. At that point you would be paid weekly but always behind 4 weeks. The ad further stated that you must understand this pay arrangement or not apply. Is that even legal?

Then of course you have the ads that list the minimal qualifications. The list is about 50 items long and when you get to the bottom of the ad it says compensation $7.00/hr.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,989,262 times
It may not be you. Many employers have so many people who are applying for the same job. Could you imagine that most employers get at more than 1,000 resumes for one job post? Here's a hint, list only the last 10 years of work (if not concurrent), remove education and tailor each job to what the job is seeking.

Good luck, during this recession.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,360,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

And another yet for a photographer which stated in the ad that no paycheck would be given till your 30 days probationary period was up. At that point you would be paid weekly but always behind 4 weeks. The ad further stated that you must understand this pay arrangement or not apply. Is that even legal?

Then of course you have the ads that list the minimal qualifications. The list is about 50 items long and when you get to the bottom of the ad it says compensation $7.00/hr.
Heck, why not all become indentured servants again? At least you'd get room and board and learn a trade.

And I thought VT paid badly...seven bucks an hour? WTH???

Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM

551 posts, read 838,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
....why would you want a job that hired these kinds of people?
lol..

Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,294,088 times
They get hired partly because they are younger blood (regardless of appearance) that could possibly be around for the long haul (several years) and help the company grow and they are usually more aware and up-to-date of currents trends, tech and how to relate to people in today's world.

in your 50s, there's no guarantee you'll stick around very long only to hav eto go thru the hiring process again. I'm in my 30s and I go thru the age thing too. Plus, in my case, I got family and scheduling issues, so why would they want me when they can hire some kid with no issues at all? And I can understand that. They are trying to run a business.

Lastly for you (I know it is for me), it may the the old "Overqualified" excuse. You may need to dumb down your experiences and just show/tell them interviewers what they want/need to know. It is possible to Over-sell yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment