U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 31,790 times
I have a question. My claim balance just hit zero. Each week I am paid $347.00 but I only received $100.00 for the second week because my claim ran out and that was all that was left. I received a new claim a few days later wit a new balance however I am still missing $247.00 from the second week of the original 1st claim. Will I get that eventually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 63,313 times
Default Follow up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2009 View Post
JTGJR, you are a life saver. Thank you for checking back on my post. I can relax now and reapply in april when my balance reaches zero. I will browse the link you posted as well. I can't wait to get back to work.
It's June now, and I was just wondering how it went with reapplying for benefits. I am in a similar situation (claim doesn't expire until November, but funds are just about gone). Should I do exactly as was said: reapply when I reach zero? Or, do you have any other pointers?
Thanks,
D

Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 63,313 times
Default My Own Follow Up ...

Hopefully this helps someone out (I wish I had read something like this about a month ago):

When your first 6 months worth of benefits run out, the EDD recommends you do nothing. They automatically assume you want to be extended, and will file an extension for you. I got this information from their website.

Then, from my own experience, this is exactly what happens. I recently ran out of my first balance; and then subsequently I received my new claim forms for the first extension--with a new balance to work with! I know it was scary for me watching my first balance fall to zero even though I had 6 more months left on my claim, but worry not: your first extension is filed for you.

Good luck, and happy job-hunting to everyone!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 31,605 times
So D322, I just received my last payment of my very first 6 months. It read like this "You received all benefits payable on your claim. Since you may qualify for extended benefits call your unemployment insurance office immediately or visit our web site... When Inquired about this a couple months earlier they said they file it automatically and that I was to sit tight when my balance reached zero? Does this sound familiar to you?

Bobby

Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 31,013 times
Default Claim Balance Zero

I just contacted EDD today 08/26/09. My unemployment is approved until 02/27/10. My claim balance is reaching zero( right now its only $139.00). I am sending my continuation claim form on 08/30/09 and I hope I will get the whole amount $242.00 that I get every 2 weeks.

I was lucky to get through the line (As soon as you hear the welcome big voice lady used ***12117***- this is kind of cheat code # to get through the line). I read it in some site and it works. The best time to call EDD, (I heard) every thursday afternoon or before closing time between 4:00 pm to 4:30 pm. I was lucky to get through on these time.

Back to the topic:
The EDD who answered the phone said that "First Extension will be file" automaticlly by EDD. Just wait a letter from EDD. Don't need to file anything on line.
I will post it again if its really gonna happen according to EDD.

I HOPE THESE WILL HELP. TO YOU GUYS.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:21 AM

736 posts, read 964,864 times
If I don't find employment before my unemployment runs out, I'll be moving to Maryland quicker than I planned. We are already planning on moving there some time next year.

My extension was filed automatically by EDD. The website did not even allow me to file it, even though there was a link.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:33 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,974,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2009 View Post
I have unemployment insurance that has been approved for 1 year (sept 08 to sept 09). My claim balance on my checks looks like will reach zero by mid april 09 tho. I am trying to contact EDD but no luck reaching a live person as of yet. I am confused on what I need to do. My questions are,

1. Will my benefits continue automatically when the balance reaches zero since I am approved until sept 09? or

2. Will EDD send me something in the mail to reapply or extend my benefits? or

3. Am I done with unemployment benefits when the balance reaches zero?

Thank you in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Jason

There are programs in place to extend EDD bennies because of the economy crisis. It has rolled over 2x for me & will one more time. Try calling a different number on the many lists for services. Act like you didin't know it was the wrong number. Probably someone will help you. Or go into an office & ask if there's a continuation of benefits possible.

If they'd told me a year ago I could possible go to school, I would have. But no, they waited to send me a letter when I have about 6 months left.

Anyway, it turns out you have a year left, see about going to school on grants/scholarships. It is'nt an easy road to navigate the ridiculous paperwork, but it would probably be worth the struggle.

I even find myself wondering if I should take any kind of job just to put something on the big hole on my resume.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 33,302 times
My EB runs out in September but I read that there is a bill that the Senate will try and pass as soon as they return in Sept called H.R. 3404. It says that high unemployment states would get an additional 13 weeks to total 92 weeks of benefits. It will also extend the date to file for extensions through 2010. If the bill does not pass then all extensions would end in Dec09 from what I understand.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 39,580 times
i was told in july 2009 that when balanced reached zero i needed to complete form for ex federal employee (i worked for the post office) and fax it in. i cannot find any such form called:"ex fed emp". and good luck calling in!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 33,673 times
Thank god I found this thread as my claim is down to my last payment. Just to reconfirm: -I hold tight once my balance reaches 0, correct? -Once I receive my last payment, how long until I start getting the extension? That's the part that worries me as I have to pay rent (Yikes!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment