Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 330,439 times

Advertisements

I have unemployment insurance that has been approved for 1 year (sept 08 to sept 09). My claim balance on my checks looks like will reach zero by mid april 09 tho. I am trying to contact EDD but no luck reaching a live person as of yet. I am confused on what I need to do. My questions are,

1. Will my benefits continue automatically when the balance reaches zero since I am approved until sept 09? or

2. Will EDD send me something in the mail to reapply or extend my benefits? or

3. Am I done with unemployment benefits when the balance reaches zero?

Thank you in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
you're lucky that you got 1 years worth of unemployment, my wife was laid off a couple of years ago and unemployment was only paid for 6 months. i know that the unemployment benefits were bumped up with bush's first bailout bill. anyways, i'm pretty sure that once you run out of money after a year you don't get any more.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM

Thank you for your comments BRinSM. My claim is good for a year but the money is running out in mid april which is 6 months. I don't know I hope I get good news. I would really like to have a job instead though.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:51 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,991 times
Jason- After your current benefit expires, go to the EDD website and reapply just as you did the first time. That will submit for your extension. According to the dates in your OP, you should qualify for the extension. EDD will NOT send you anything telling you to reapply. Your benefits will be the same as your first six months, plus $25 per week for the "stimulus payment."

I'm not sure about all of the updated extensions, but I also believe there is an additional 7-weeks federal extension for high unemployment states, like CA. And I believe I read in this morning's LA time that the California Legislature is considering extending another 20-weeks.

Here's the EDD page.

Last edited by JTGJR; 03-24-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Updated info

Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM

Thank you for your comments JTGJR. Quick question. When you say "after your current benefit expires" did you mean when my balance reaches zero next month (april 09) or when my claim expires in sept 09? Thank you for the link.

Jason

Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2009 View Post
Thank you for your comments JTGJR. Quick question. When you say "after your current benefit expires" did you mean when my balance reaches zero next month (april 09) or when my claim expires in sept 09? Thank you for the link.

Jason
My husband has been getting unemployment for a while, and when his claim expired in Jan. (after a year), he continued getting it without missing a beat because of the extension. If you go to the web site and apply for the extension before your money runs out, you should continue to receive UE.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 AM

When your balance equals 0 in April, reapply. DO NOT reapply before your end date. I made the mistake of doing so 1-day early and had to reapply again. If you reapply early, you'll receive a letter stating that your benefit has not yet expired. All states handle the process differently. Some automatically reinstate the benefit. Others, like CA require that you apply for each extension. Fortunately, it can be done through the website because you'll never get through on the phone.

There is a lot of good information on the City Date Work and Employment forum.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM

JTGJR, you are a life saver. Thank you for checking back on my post. I can relax now and reapply in april when my balance reaches zero. I will browse the link you posted as well. I can't wait to get back to work.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 83,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
When your balance equals 0 in April, reapply. DO NOT reapply before your end date..

Hey everyone, thanks for the info. I too am in the same situation as jd2009, I'm confused though. I understand to wait and apply for extension when our claim balance: 0.00, BUT when I poke around on the website doing eApply4UI, as I would when my balance is zero.... I am faced with three questions. The first question, "Did you work in a state other than California during the last 18 months?," is the only one that causes a response:

"The answers you provided to the questions on the previous page indicate that special handling is required to file your unemployment insurance claim. Please call the toll-free telephone number below for assistance in filing your claim for unemployment insurance benefits."

I'm afraid when it actually comes time, I still won't be able to get an extension... guess I"m gonna have to waste a day trying to get through.

Hint: When calling 1-800-300-5616, immediately when you hear "welcome" dial 1-3-0.... you get in A LITTLE quicker....

Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 AM

rdub619, I don't know for sure, but I think they're just trying to figure out if you should be getting your UI, or a portion of it, from another state. Presumably, you answered yes to that question and triggered the "call us" response. It shouldn't be an issue other than having to waste the better part of a day trying to get through on the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment