U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Location: New York
55 posts, read 340,833 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

I was laid off at the end of January and have been collecting unemployment insurance benefits (UIB) since then. I have been offered an eight-week temporary job with the US Census Bureau starting the end of this month. I have two reservations about taking the job (1) pay and (2) effect on UIB.

The position pays $18/hr and it will be 40/hr week, so before tax that will be $720/week, which is better than the $430/week UIB I get here in NY but a lot less than I was making in my previous job. But at this stage with no other job prospect on the horizon, I guess I shouldn't be fussy.

If I take this temporary job, should I still visit the Department of Labor site each week and state that I have been working thus making me ineligible for a claim in each of those weeks? Or does one's claim get suspended as soon as one finds work even if it's only temporary work?

What happens after a period of temporary employment ends? Does one have to create a new claim or can one go back and use the existing claim. Is there a waiting period involved? I'm presuming that if the old claim is reopened that the benefit rate is based on the original job and that the lower pay rate of the temporary job would not affect my benefit rate.

The Census office was unable to tell me how accepting the job would affect UIB and suggested calling the DOL. But it's impossible to get through to a person on the NYS Dept of Labor phone lines to get answers to these questions and their Web site FAQs do not provide the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 AM
 
2,365 posts, read 7,804,434 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by errigal View Post
I was laid off at the end of January and have been collecting unemployment insurance benefits (UIB) since then. I have been offered an eight-week temporary job with the US Census Bureau starting the end of this month. I have two reservations about taking the job (1) pay and (2) effect on UIB.

The position pays $18/hr and it will be 40/hr week, so before tax that will be $720/week, which is better than the $430/week UIB I get here in NY but a lot less than I was making in my previous job. But at this stage with no other job prospect on the horizon, I guess I shouldn't be fussy.

If I take this temporary job, should I still visit the Department of Labor site each week and state that I have been working thus making me ineligible for a claim in each of those weeks? Or does one's claim get suspended as soon as one finds work even if it's only temporary work?

What happens after a period of temporary employment ends? Does one have to create a new claim or can one go back and use the existing claim. Is there a waiting period involved? I'm presuming that if the old claim is reopened that the benefit rate is based on the original job and that the lower pay rate of the temporary job would not affect my benefit rate.

The Census office was unable to tell me how accepting the job would affect UIB and suggested calling the DOL. But it's impossible to get through to a person on the NYS Dept of Labor phone lines to get answers to these questions and their Web site FAQs do not provide the answers.

Well, don't tell too many people this question, it gives off the wrong idea...even though I in reality totally understand.

To answer your question to the best of my knowledge, if you take this job, you are allowed a certain (PBR) this is your partial benefit rate. Using me as an example, my weekly benefit is 499 and so my (pbr) is about 150 dollars per week. You will have to call U.C. and ask what yours it.
So, if you make 150 dollars or less, you can keep your weekly benefit of 499 plus the 150 dollars.

However, if you make over 150 dollars, you will have whatever you make deducted from your weekly benefit check. And in your case, if you are making 720, which far exceeds weekly benefit amount.

1.So, I would suggest that you continue to file your biweelly claim and put down that you are working, you can continue to do this until the job ends, up until the end of your benefit year. I suggest this, since it is a temporary job that will end before the end of your benefit year. When you file each time, you put YES I did work, etc..,(I believe they allow this option.)

2.Or you can do nothing and they will find out in one to two weeks, depending on how fast your new employer reports it. In general I think about 2 weeks.

3.Or you can continue to file up to you receive your first check and then file that Yes, you did work AND stop filing after that. Then when you stop working file online to reopen your claim.

I think option 3 is the worst one, since you will definitely have to wait a month, for them to re-determine you, since they will mail requests for informaiton from any employer that you have worked for in the past year and half. This takes time, since employers sometimes sit on this form until the very last day.

Option 1 is the best in my opinion.

*** Caveat: If you work after you have already been determined eligible AND you make enough on part time OR full-time to qualify for a NEW claim, you will potentially LOSE your eligibility for EUC or Emergency Benefits. So, if you make enough to get a determination of 200 a week based on your most recent wages, but your original determination was 499, then you will get the 200 dollars. However, normally, this should not be a problem, since they usually base your beneifts on your base year, but I have read they are doing this, in relation to emergency benefits, and giving people the lower amount. But this is something U.C. can answer better from an actual knowledgeable customer service person. I would suggest calling at least twice to confirm what ever answer you are given. (psst, but don't ask the question you have asked us, since they will tell you, obviously you have no choice but to take whatever job that pays over 7 dollars per hour!)

good luck!

p.s. If I were you, I would continue to apply for Federal govt. jobs while you are working, so you can possibly make this temp. job work to your advantage. Make sure to update your resume on U.S.A.gov with your new job!

Last edited by gea12345; 04-03-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: New York
55 posts, read 340,833 times
Reputation: 49
gea12345: Thank you for your reply!

Yes, in my case the amount does as you said exceed the weekly benefit amount and also involves more than four days work per week, so the PBR is not an option.

Quote:
1.So, I would suggest that you continue to file your biweekly claim and put down that you are working ... When you file each time, you put YES I did work, etc.

2.Or you can do nothing and they will find out in one to two weeks...

3.Or you can continue to file up to you receive your first check and then file that Yes, you did work AND stop filing after that...

Option 1 is the best in my opinion.
I actually got through to a live person when I called the DOL a few minutes ago. She told me to stop filing (your Option 2) once I start the temporary job, then resume filing once I complete the assignment. She did say they would follow up with a letter asking for more details about the job, etc. but that there should be no unpaid weeks, however that does not preclude delays in payment. So I think your Option 1 does make more sense. In NY the claim is weekly, not biweekly.

Quote:
*** Caveat: If you work after you have already been determined eligible AND you make enough on part time OR full-time to qualify for a NEW claim, you will LOSE your eligibility for EUC or Emergency Benefits. So, if you make enough to get a determination of 200 a week based on your most recent wages, but your original determination was 499, then you will get the 200 dollars. However, normally, this should not be a problem, since they usually base your benefits on your base year, but I have read they are doing this, in relation to emergency benefits, and giving people the lower amount.
That's a nasty trick. The woman I spoke to assured me that my benefit rate would remain the same as before. I assumed that when it came to emergency benefits that they would still be based on the original base period.

Quote:
psst, but don't ask the question you have asked us, since they will tell you, obviously you have no choice but to take whatever job that pays over 7 dollars per hour!
Actually I was offered a lower paying census job ($13/hr) a month ago and I turned it down. Then I got a guilt complex about the certification question that asks whether I refused any work. I checked with the DOL and the person I spoke to told me that one is not obliged to accept a job offer that pays less than 80% of the pay rate of one's previous job. In other words, he said it was "not a suitable job offer" and said I should just say "no" to that question on the cert form.

Quote:
p.s. If I were you, I would continue to apply for Federal govt. jobs while you are working, so you can possibly make this temp. job work to your advantage. Make sure to update your resume on U.S.A.gov with your new job!
Good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
 
2,365 posts, read 7,804,434 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by errigal View Post
gea12345: Thank you for your reply!

Yes, in my case the amount does as you said exceed the weekly benefit amount and also involves more than four days work per week, so the PBR is not an option.

I actually got through to a live person when I called the DOL a few minutes ago. She told me to stop filing (your Option 2) once I start the temporary job, then resume filing once I complete the assignment. She did say they would follow up with a letter asking for more details about the job, etc. but that there should be no unpaid weeks, however that does not preclude delays in payment. So I think your Option 1 does make more sense. In NY the claim is weekly, not biweekly.

That's a nasty trick. The woman I spoke to assured me that my benefit rate would remain the same as before. I assumed that when it came to emergency benefits that they would still be based on the original base period.

Actually I was offered a lower paying census job ($13/hr) a month ago and I turned it down. Then I got a guilt complex about the certification question that asks whether I refused any work. I checked with the DOL and the person I spoke to told me that one is not obliged to accept a job offer that pays less than 80% of the pay rate of one's previous job. In other words, he said it was "not a suitable job offer" and said I should just say "no" to that question on the cert form.

Good idea.

Your quite welcome!!

but regarding the caveat...It is taken from the PA U.C. website:


Q.Is a claimant required to establish a new UC claim with a lower weekly benefit amount than the EUC weekly benefit amount?

A.If a claimant re-qualifies for regular UC while receiving EUC, the claimant no longer qualifies for EUC. He or she must claim regular UC even if the regular UC weekly benefit amount is lower than the EUC weekly amount.

p.s. the 80 percent or less option only applies to regular employment benefits. I have read that some states are enforcing 7 dollars as a minimum for anyone receiving emergency benefits.

p.p.s. And actually having gone through this experience in Oregon, I received U.C., find a job, they reported that I was working, and I stopped filing. Then lost job, reopened my cliam. They, then sent me a form to fill out, which took a week, then they sent a form to my most recent employers. Then they made a determination. Got first check. ALL OF THIS took a Month with NO money! This is from actual experience...but hopefully your will prove different.



good luck

Last edited by gea12345; 04-03-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
 
Location: New York
55 posts, read 340,833 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
taken from the PA U.C. website:

Q.Is a claimant required to establish a new UC claim with a lower weekly benefit amount than the EUC weekly benefit amount?

A.If a claimant re-qualifies for regular UC while receiving EUC, the claimant no longer qualifies for EUC. He or she must claim regular UC even if the regular UC weekly benefit amount is lower than the EUC weekly amount.
I'm only on my seventh week of benefits so I wouldn't be eligible for EUC for some time, so I think this wouldn't apply to me. According to NYS DOL:
Quote:
What is my weekly benefit rate for emergency benefits?
The weekly benefit amount paid for emergency benefits is the same amount you received for regular benefits.
Quote:
p.s. ...I have read that some states are enforcing 7 dollars as a minimum for anyone receiving emergency benefits.
Can't find anything about this on the NYS site.

Quote:
p.p.s. And actually having gone through this experience in Oregon, I received U.C., find a job, they reported that I was working, and I stopped filing. Then lost job, reopened my cliam. They, then sent me a form to fill out, which took a week, then they sent a form to my most recent employers. Then they made a determination. Got first check. ALL OF THIS took a Month with NO money! This is from actual experience...but hopefully your will prove different.
When you were finally paid was it retroactive to when you were laid off, or did you miss out on a month's benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 PM
 
2,365 posts, read 7,804,434 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by errigal View Post
I'm only on my seventh week of benefits so I wouldn't be eligible for EUC for some time, so I think this wouldn't apply to me. According to NYS DOL:
Can't find anything about this on the NYS site.

When you were finally paid was it retroactive to when you were laid off, or did you miss out on a month's benefits?

I am sorry, but I like the rest of people on here, have been living through this for the past 7 months or more. We have all scoured our government sites, news sites for information.

I gave you the benefit of my experience and research.

..... you can find out on your own.

without my help!


again good luck!

Again a recap: You have 3 choices, you can file that you are working, and stop claiming. or you can do nothing and your employer will report it or you can wait until you start working or as I did the week of my first check and stop claiming. Fist quesiton asked and answered.
Also beware of telling people or U.C. that you turned down a job in this environment. This will be important if you continue on U.C. beyond 26 weeks. And since I don't know at what point you are I am giving you common sense advice. And your last question: should I worry about losing benefits if I start and stop and start my claim. I say, Yes, since it depends on how long the temp job is. But usually they base it on your base year, but I have heard, read that if you work enough on your new job to be able to file a new claim, they can lower your beneift amount. This is definitely possible if you are ending your Reg and starting your EUC and your benefit year is ending. It may not be applicable if you are in the beginning of your claim,which I have no idea if you are or not, based on your first post. In my case, I started my claim, went back to work, and re-opened my claim. I recevied 6 months, but my base year is ends now, in April, because of that gap. My 2007 base year is no longer applicable, but for the extension that Obama gave until Dec. 2009. And yes, if you start and stop your claim you are paid for any benefits you are elibile for, but if you have to wait a month for it to be redetermined, you are waiting a month, with no food and no transportation money.

Hope this helps!! and good luck with your research...and don't hesitate to let us know of how your new job works out ;-)

Last edited by gea12345; 04-03-2009 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 AM
 
1 posts, read 64,372 times
Reputation: 13
Exclamation Question.

I reside in Las Vegas, NV. I have "landed" a temporary job of three (3) to maybe four (4) weeks long.

Should I resume filing my weekly claim?
Or should I ignore it and re-open my claim after July 4th?

Which would be the best way to go about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 02:28 PM
 
11 posts, read 79,261 times
Reputation: 28
Hi, My employer who gave me lay off on January 27 called me an offered me a temp job with the same salary but no benefits(of course), I am collecting UIB since I was laid off in NJ where I resided and worked as virtual employed(home), now the new assignment will be in NY, Max weekly benefits in NJ is $584 and NY I beleive is $403. My first UIB extension ended last week. I feel I should take this temp job otherwise my employer could report it and then I may be penalized. My question is when is my base year ends and if when the temp job ends I could continue collecting under the same claim, since I know that I could qualify for 2 more extensions. And also, since now I will be taxed in NY, could I still collect in NJ?. Should I continue claim the weekly benefit and say that I am working?Please help to understand this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
 
3 posts, read 106,847 times
Reputation: 11
I was collecting UI benifits for a month when I took a 1 year temp position 46.5 mi away. Now my 1 yr is up and the company wants me to extend my stay until I reach 2080 hours (they calculate the year as hours not calendar and they don’t consider my 2wks vacation, 1 wk PTO or my 8 holidays) however, my car is broken down beyond repair. I can borrow a car for 2 weeks until my 1 year is up. If I choose not to extend my contract will I be able to re-open my previous claim or even file for a new one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
 
3 posts, read 106,847 times
Reputation: 11
Default will I be able to re-open my previous claim or even file for a new one?

I will also be losing daycare....

Last edited by jhedric1; 04-16-2010 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: duplicate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top