U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 82,778 times
Question Collecting unemployment while working part time?

So i was let go from my job March 1st, and i've been collecting unemployment since. I was driving a tow truck for a charity, making decent money. Now, a friend of mine was telling me that his job {pizza hut} needs drivers DESPERATLY. I want to help him out, and i'm bored out of my mind sittting around my house doing nothing every day. Problem is, i don't want this to interupt my unemployment. I want to be on unemployment so i can get unemployment to pay for my CDL training, so i can get a better job than what i had, driving a tow truck.

The question i have is, can i be collecting unemployment, AND work a part time job? What are the rules on this? Do i have to make under a certin amount of money or work under a certin amount of hours? i DO NOT want to loose my unemployment.

If anyoneone has done it, and it cuts into your unemployment check, how much does it effect it? Right now collecting unemployment, i'm bearly making it by with car insurance, cell phone bill, and varrious things for my 6 year old son. So if it's going to cut my unemployment check in half, i just won't apply for the job.

Any help would be great.

--Vinnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,641,154 times
Read your handbook, it should give you an idea of what your (PBR) partial benefit rate is!

But generally, if your weekly check is 400, then you can make approx. 100 a week.

But they will tell you over the phone tomorrow.

p.s. Some states like N.Y., i hear have additional rules like no more than 3 or 4 days!!

good luck!

p.s. don't get into any personality conflicts, becuase if you get let go and the employer says you left without good reason or got let go without good reason, your check will be held up for 30 plus days while they redetermine you!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:47 PM

2,178 posts, read 3,646,911 times
I don't know if you can collect unemployment and do a part time job but I certainly think it's wrong and being dishonest.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 82,778 times
How would that be dishonest? If i take the job, i plan on getting paid on the books. I already asked my buddy if they would pay me under the table, and he said since they are a corperation, i can't haha. But seriously, the REAON i'm asking about how it affects your unemployment check, is because i would be CLAIMING it as a real job....ON the books......

Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 PM

No it is not dishonest. Just call your UC office tomorrow and they will give you your answer!

hope this is helpful!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 AM

23,226 posts, read 30,341,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I don't know if you can collect unemployment and do a part time job but I certainly think it's wrong and being dishonest.
It's not dishonest as long as you report the income to unemployment. Many states allow you to make up to a certain amount per week before it affects your claim.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 PM

2,178 posts, read 3,646,911 times
If unemployment knows about it and okays it and then no it's not being dishonest sorry.
I had a friend who was recieving unemployment and trying to get a job on the side but under the table- very wrong.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:54 PM

2,074 posts, read 8,127,912 times
In April of 2008, my hours were cut from 7-1/2 hours a day to 4 hours a day. I am now unemployed, and looking for work and I just applied for UI after being unemployed for 2 months. In my State, I found out if my hours were cut, I would have been eligible for $25.00 a week from UI. I wish I knew that at the time.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
In April of 2008, my hours were cut from 7-1/2 hours a day to 4 hours a day. I am now unemployed, and looking for work and I just applied for UI after being unemployed for 2 months. In my State, I found out if my hours were cut, I would have been eligible for $25.00 a week from UI. I wish I knew that at the time.

Yes, $25 or more depending on your salary and how many hours were reduced!

It is also confusing why you were unemployed for 2 months and just now got around to filing for U.C. ...but i guess it worked for you.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:59 PM

91 posts, read 334,740 times
The rules are different for different states.Definitely call your UE office and find out what their rules are for part-time employment.
I know in New York State even if you work 1 hour a day you cannot claim UE benefits for that day.
So you want to be sure what the rules are for your state.
Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment