U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM

62 posts, read 231,530 times
Default Unemployment benefits - first extension (indiana)- pleeeeease someone help!!!

Currently I am drawing unemployment from Indiana, and I will receive my last check next Monday and this is the first round of my unemployment benefits. My question is once I have exhausted all of my benefits will I automatically qualify for the extension? My benefit year is not set to expire until 2010, but my funds will have been exhausted. I know that Indiana has two additional sets of extensions (first = 20 weeks & the second = 13 weeks for a total of 33 weeks of extended benefits).

It is very difficult getting a "live-person" on the phone, but when I finally did all she told me was once I showed a zero balance then I had to file another claim for an extension and they would then let me know if I qualified in 3 weeks, but to continue filing my weekly vouchers online. So, if that is true then I will be 3 additional weeks with no form of income AT ALL.

Can anyone shine the light on this for me? I am trying not to be nervous, but I cannot help it since I have no idea if I am eligible for an extension and the one person I was able to get on the phone was sooooo vague. Also, even the information on the site is vague because it said once a person has exhausted their state and federal they must reapply in person. However, there was no mention of the initial extension but the woman told me to file online.

I am confused. I hope someone out there is able to help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,711,728 times
I am not in your state! I am in PA. Here I received a letter stating that I had exhausted my benefits! The end!! Then I got a letter a week later, stating that I was eligible for EUC. Two weeks after I got my last Regular check, I got my EUC check. So there was no delay, and because I get direct deposit, my euc check was there after 10 days, not 14!

Good luck!

Euc Link: DWD: Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC)

General Unemployment Link:
DWD: Home

November 26, 2008
The United States Department of Labor has issued instructions for the recently enacted federal extended unemployment compensation program. Key highlights include:
  • The original 13-week program, passed in July 2008, is now 20 weeks.
  • The new program, approved in November 2008, offers 13 additional benefit weeks for Hoosiers. Claimants who have exhausted their 26 weeks of state unemployment and 20 weeks of federal extended unemployment benefits are now eligible for up to an additional 13 weeks of federal unemployment payments.
  • Claimants will be able to file for the new federal benefits through the Uplink system on November 30th, 2008. (https://uplink.in.gov/CSS/CSSLogon.htm). Payments for these claims, however, may not appear in claimant debit card accounts for up to five business days after initial filing.
  • Additional information on this extension is available through a Frequently Asked Questions document (Extended Unemployment Compensation )
  • As additional information becomes available it will be posted on DWD's homepage.
November 21, 2008
The United States Congress and President Bush have approved a second federal extension of unemployment benefits to qualified individuals. The Department of Workforce Development will notify all potential claimants on the Uplink homepage about how to apply for the federal extension once details are available. Claimants can visit DWD's homepage at 5:00 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, November 26, for the latest information about the federal extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeAuLait40 View Post
Currently I am drawing unemployment from Indiana, and I will receive my last check next Monday and this is the first round of my unemployment benefits. My question is once I have exhausted all of my benefits will I automatically qualify for the extension? My benefit year is not set to expire until 2010, but my funds will have been exhausted. I know that Indiana has two additional sets of extensions (first = 20 weeks & the second = 13 weeks for a total of 33 weeks of extended benefits).

It is very difficult getting a "live-person" on the phone, but when I finally did all she told me was once I showed a zero balance then I had to file another claim for an extension and they would then let me know if I qualified in 3 weeks, but to continue filing my weekly vouchers online. So, if that is true then I will be 3 additional weeks with no form of income AT ALL.

Can anyone shine the light on this for me? I am trying not to be nervous, but I cannot help it since I have no idea if I am eligible for an extension and the one person I was able to get on the phone was sooooo vague. Also, even the information on the site is vague because it said once a person has exhausted their state and federal they must reapply in person. However, there was no mention of the initial extension but the woman told me to file online.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,437,698 times
Seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM

yes. sinsativ...they started their own thread. Maybe they were so upset, they overlooked Taurus's thread..

hmmm

Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,437,698 times
you had a similar problem back in March I believe.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
you had a similar problem back in March I believe.
Yes, it is called wanting to know what is going to happen before it happens.

Sometimes you are forced to wait!!

But it is some solace to ask others even if they don't know the answer or only able to point to where the answer might be!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 PM

gea12345,

Thank you very much for replying to this. I am still confused about what the rules are and I guess I will just have to see what happens. But thank you.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 PM

sinsativ,

I am not certain if this was posted before. I called myself doing a pretty thorough search but I guess it slipped through the cracks. I will search for the thread started by Taurus now. Thank you for that information.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeAuLait40 View Post
Currently I am drawing unemployment from Indiana, and I will receive my last check next Monday and this is the first round of my unemployment benefits. My question is once I have exhausted all of my benefits will I automatically qualify for the extension?

YES! YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFY FOR THE FIRST EUC TIER ONE EXTENSION!! (If you are like me, and qualified for both 26 weeks and exhausted after Dec 2008 and before Dec, 2009.) (most states are doing automatic determinations. you don't have to do anything. you can see this on your website and it will say do nothing.)

My benefit year is not set to expire until 2010, but my funds will have been exhausted. I know that Indiana has two additional sets of extensions (first = 20 weeks & the second = 13 weeks for a total of 33 weeks of extended benefits).

YES!! IF YOU ANSWER YES TO YOUR FIRST QUESTION THEN YOU WILL GET THE 5 MONTHS, THE EUC TIER ONE! I CAN ONLY SPEAK TO TIER ONE, SINCE THAT IS WHAT I HAVE ACTUALLY GOTTEN!

I ASSUME THAT BOTH YOU AND I WILL WILL GET TIER TWO!! IF YOU WERE ELIGIBLE FOR TIER ONE, WHICH I AM! WHY? BECAUSE I EXHAUST MY REGULAR EUC BETWEN DEC 2008 AND DEC 2009 AND I WORKED ENOUGH IN MY BASE YEAR TO QUALIFY FOR FULL BENEFITS. And your state is giving the 33 weeks of EUC benefits.

Sorry for the full caps, but i wanted to make sure that you understood my answers. good luck!!

Last edited by gea12345; 04-30-2009 at 11:36 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Well, when I went to my page today there was a link for me to apply for extended benefits. I applied and it now says pending, so I pray it's approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment